can you develop/improve your chin?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » can you develop/improve your chin?
ManBeast
4/24/07 9:00:16AM
title says it all, I curious as to any of your theories on improving your chin or if its just genetics/bone structure that decides a fighter's ability to resist getting knocked out.

my only hyphothesis on having a good chin is bone structure and the fact that alot of the samoan fighters or atleast the ones we hear about tend to have really good chins.
Rush
4/24/07 10:48:11AM
I have said it twice in other threads. The concept of chin has to do with the nerve that runs along your jaw line.

If it gets hit your nerve sends an 'overload' signal to the brain and your brain just shuts down (black out)

You can get hit in other nevers elsewhere on the body and have a similar effect (it's harder to do). Trust me, I got hit in the arm on a nerve and my legs gave out. I was like, what the hell just happened.

As for making a better chin? The only thing I can think of is somehow building muscle/flesh in the jaw to help protect the nerve and I don't even know if there is any evidence to suggest that it would make a difference.

If you still want to try it, the only way I can think of building a thicker jaw is to chew lots of gum.
CwB
4/24/07 12:03:37PM
Another thing is having a thicker neck, so you dont get rocked.

but if you have a glass jaw, theres no way to improve it that much.
AchillesHeel
4/24/07 3:04:40PM
There's also some skill to taking a hit. For years, it was generally accepted that your average gym boxer would win a fight against your average martial arts student, simply because boxers get hit as part of their training. This is probably still true for non-sport-fighting martial arts.

You'll hear Joe Rogan talk about it a lot during UFC broadcasts; so-and-so is "keeping his head straight up", is "not tucking in his chin", and so on.

Some guys also have an ability to manage when they get their bell rung. Some guys can continue to defend themselves when they're seeing little birdies flying around their head, and some guys can't.
rameydl8
4/24/07 4:33:04PM
well..the onlyt thing i could say to help from getting ko'd is dont get hit..work on your agility and defense. other than that idk what to tell you
Mastodon2
4/25/07 2:47:46AM
KOs are caused by the by the brain being jolted in the cranial cavity, which happens when a hard shot connects with the head, sometimes the chin visibly whips, sometimes it doesnt, but the force moving to the cranium rocks the brain about, even only a minute bit, but thats all it takes.

As Rogan was saying the other night "Cro Cop doesnt look like he could take a shot, he has a small head, GG could take a shot look at that massive bone structure", that is BS, Bone structure doesnt matter. Neck strengthening exercises can help, lifting collar weights can make your neck stronger, and less likely to whip round after a punch, making it harder to rock the brain.

If bone structure and chin shape were anything to do with it, Tito would be unKO-able.
bayonetxwork
4/25/07 3:29:21PM
I don't think you can physically improve your ability to not get knocked out, I just think that comes natural. Of course taking shots in practice is going to make you "more used" to getting hit in the head/face, but when one actually catches you right, training can't prepare you for that.

Most important thing, IMO, is learn how to defend when rocked. Look at Shonie Carter, he does this very well. If he gets hit, and hes seeing stars, he'll tie you up, maybe even take you down. That IMO is more important than trying to get your jaw better.
dunster
4/25/07 4:06:05PM
a good way to train keeping your chin tucked is to hold a tennis ball under your chin as you spar/bag train. it makes it almost a natural reaction, so as when you raise your hands, you automatically try to hold the ball. im sure i could have worded that better but never mind. not strictly what you was after, but its help none the less
Ultimate_fighter
4/25/07 7:04:37PM
Joe Rogan said ," The human jaw is not made to get hit. " over 100 times, so i am guessing there's not much i can say about improving a chin or developing a stronger one...
SteedTheDeed
4/25/07 7:34:03PM
steroids seem to give people a bigger jaw, try that.
ncordless
4/25/07 7:37:02PM

Posted by Mastodon2

KOs are caused by the by the brain being jolted in the cranial cavity, which happens when a hard shot connects with the head, sometimes the chin visibly whips, sometimes it doesnt, but the force moving to the cranium rocks the brain about, even only a minute bit, but thats all it takes.

As Rogan was saying the other night "Cro Cop doesnt look like he could take a shot, he has a small head, GG could take a shot look at that massive bone structure", that is BS, Bone structure doesnt matter. Neck strengthening exercises can help, lifting collar weights can make your neck stronger, and less likely to whip round after a punch, making it harder to rock the brain.

If bone structure and chin shape were anything to do with it, Tito would be unKO-able.

Haha thats a good one Tito at play
fedorwins1
4/26/07 6:38:55PM
I heard Ali tried something like that, like getting hit over and over again and seeing if it made his chin stronger. I don't think you can develop a good chin, it's genetics, however if you spar you get used to getting hit and learn to take it better.
teamquestnorth
4/26/07 6:49:03PM

Posted by Mastodon2

I dont think think titos ever been "knocked out" per se even against chuck he was still concious he was just getting bombarded
Mastodon2
4/26/07 6:53:51PM
In the first fight, after Chuck put him against the cage and started bombing him, Tito slumps down the cage and the ref stops in, I think he was KO-ed, or very, very hazy at that point.

And I know some people are saying you cant work a chin, they should look in scarf weights, they are a scarf with weights on the front, and you hang them on your neck and lift them up and down, and side to side by moving your neck. They build and strengthen neck muscles, and that helps prevent whipping.
richieb19
4/26/07 7:02:49PM
A stronger neck or thicker traps will allow your head from moving less when being hit, but a KO punch comes from either a nerve overload or a concussion, either of which cannot be avoided...
Mastodon2
4/26/07 7:10:01PM
Nerve overload is BS, its caused by head whipping and the brain jolting around inside the cranium, which is why some people pass out in car accidents, even when their head doesnt impact the steering wheel!

Concussions also do not "Cause" knockouts, they are the after effect of a strong blow to the head, but they dont develop until after the initial shock.

Im doing preparatory human physiology classes because I could well be starting a 4 year degree course in Physiology come October, and we have covered the KO effect.
richieb19
4/26/07 7:14:37PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Nerve overload is BS, its caused by head whipping and the brain jolting around inside the cranium, which is why some people pass out in car accidents, even when their head doesnt impact the steering wheel!

Concussions also do not "Cause" knockouts, they are the after effect of a strong blow to the head, but they dont develop until after the initial shock.

Im doing preparatory human physiology classes because I could well be starting a 4 year degree course in Physiology come October, and we have covered the KO effect.

I srtongly disagree with you on concusions not caushing KO's... I've played hockey for 7+ years and I've seen people get concussions countless times, it causes them to not understand their surrounding or where they are and eventually collapse...
Rush
4/27/07 8:43:36AM

Posted by Mastodon2

I've taken some big hits to the face before (knees) and didn't get knocked out and have taken much lighter hits to the chin and have been knocked out.

There are a lot of ways/reasons to get knocked out and I think you're wrong to say the nerve thing is BS. I've experienced it not only on the chin, but in other nerves on my body. In those cases my head didn't even move.

The nerve on the chin is very sensitive. After getting my wisdom teeth removed, the nerve on my chin was slightly damaged. For about 3 months half my chin was numb, yet it was extremely painful to shave my chin.
Mastodon2
4/27/07 10:46:37AM
A KO is an instant effect of an impact, a concussion develops after the impact, not prior to, or during impact.