Despite two-fight skid, Lavar Johnson avoids UFC pink slip

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Despite two-fight skid, Lavar Johnson avoids UFC pink slip
FastKnockout
3/1/13 11:47:20AM
With the UFC in roster-trimming mode, heavyweight Lavar Johnson likely was on shaky ground following a lackluster decision loss to Brendan Schaub this past weekend at UFC 157.

Link
prophecy033
3/1/13 11:55:23AM
Although the guy comes to bang every fight, I feel he probably should have been let go. He had absolutely no ground game and every heavyweight knows it. If he loses his next fight he will be on the outside looking in
postman
3/1/13 11:59:37AM
He's lucky to be a HW
Theoutlaw08
3/1/13 12:09:05PM
He'll get one more chance because he's a HW.
sparky
3/1/13 12:13:31PM
I can see Big Lavar getting his walking papers after his next fight. He's just not well rounded enough to last in this day an age
Poor_Franklin
3/1/13 12:24:42PM
I think this might also have something to do w/ Schaub's performance. he landed more punches on his back than Schaub did on top. lavar was on his back nearly the entire fight, yet Schaub is the one who got the medical suspension
RhythmAndStyle
3/1/13 12:30:44PM
can't we say that bout Pat Barry who has ZERO ground game too..who Johnson also ko'd..and Shane dumb Rosario should have took it to the ground and finished it but didnt cuz his fight iq isnt all there..i rather see Johnson in the UFC then Barry..at least Johnson hasnt been finished in his UFC career unlike Barry who is 5-5 and has been finished in all of his losses and got CHOKED out by Cro Cop, imo the most embarrassing thing that prolly could happen and prolly the hardest i ever laughed while watching an UFC event, seriously i laughed pretty damn hard when i saw that and spit a lil bit of my beer out..yeah yeah Barry a really cool guy and what not..but that doesnt mean u belong in the UFC..
Goatenstein
3/1/13 12:44:06PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

can't we say that bout Pat Barry who has ZERO ground game too..who Johnson also ko'd..and Shane dumb Rosario should have took it to the ground and finished it but didnt cuz his fight iq isnt all there..i rather see Johnson in the UFC then Barry..at least Johnson hasnt been finished in his UFC career unlike Barry who is 5-5 and has been finished in all of his losses and got CHOKED out by Cro Cop, imo the most embarrassing thing that prolly could happen and prolly the hardest i ever laughed while watching an UFC event, seriously i laughed pretty damn hard when i saw that and spit a lil bit of my beer out..yeah yeah Barry a really cool guy and what not..but that doesnt mean u belong in the UFC..

So you could get beat up by Mirko and then outgrapple him? And you can beat Barry any way you want?
BillsNewAccount
3/1/13 12:55:16PM
The UFC just came to bang bro. Big Lavar, Dan Hardy, Leonard Garcia all deserve raises IMO. MMA should be nothing more than sloppy boxing.
FastKnockout
3/1/13 12:56:23PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Do you remember the Rosario fight? He DID try to take it to take it to the ground, and had Barry in a few submissions , including a rear naked choke and armbar which Barry escaped. Barry showed improvements in his ground game.
shaneTpain
3/1/13 1:37:14PM
I'm a fan of Lavar. Glad there giving him another chance. Theres a lot less heavys in the UFC so I think they should be given a little leeway.
prozacnation1978
3/1/13 2:45:54PM
I didn't see lavar leaving.
Schaub was the boring one. Lavar was trying to take his head off
frizzzlecake
3/1/13 2:49:56PM
Meathead vs. The Big Rock sounds good to me.
BillsNewAccount
3/1/13 4:30:26PM

Posted by frizzzlecake

Meathead vs. The Big Rock sounds good to me.

Meathead is fighting DeFries I think. I'd like to see Big Lavar fight Duffman.
JoeWarren33
3/1/13 5:53:41PM
As much as I enjoy watching Lavar fight, he should just get the boot for not training properly. He knew this was the gameplan for Schaub, and on top of that. he had over a year to prepare for this fight.
To top if off the fight was a snoozefest and a very frustrating fight to watch.
airkerma
3/1/13 5:59:36PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

The UFC just came to bang bro. Big Lavar, Dan Hardy, Leonard Garcia all deserve raises IMO. MMA should be nothing more than sloppy boxing.

Personally, I'm sick of people having effective techniques. They should all get in there and pretend it's "Final Fight" where it's all just crazy striking with zero downsides. Speaking of, where the f*** is f*****g mayor Haggar?? Dana would love him!
UFC_Fanatic
3/1/13 10:00:17PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Lavar has been finished in his UFC career. Struve pulled guard then caught him in a sick armbar if I recall correctly. Plus, in the fight between Barry and Lavar, if I recall correctly, Barry had the better ground game and handled him on the ground, he just made a couple mistakes that allowed Lavar to get out of a terrible situation. If I recall, Barry had him mounted and then just abandoned it and went into side control. Barry has been improving by leaps and bounds with his ground game lately. Just figured I'd point that out.
Tyzzler
3/1/13 10:47:39PM

Posted by prophecy033

Although the guy comes to bang every fight, I feel he probably should have been let go. He had absolutely no ground game and every heavyweight knows it. If he loses his next fight he will be on the outside looking in

I can see Big Lavar getting his walking papers after his next fight. He's just not well rounded enough to last in this day an age

Completely off-base in your thinking. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but the UFC 100% doesn't base it's roster off well-roundedness AT ALL, just the same as fandom isn't based off of that stipulation. Look at Jon Fitch, definitely well-rounded but he doesn't give 1/4 of a damn about a balls-out finish. Lavar Johnson does, thus Lavar will stay on the roster, while more "well-rounded" fighters that constantly win will be cut.

Again, I'm not saying that's how it should be & I'm not saying that it shouldn't be that way...I'm just saying, like it or not, that's how it is. All that being said, I'd pay 10X the amount of money to sit front row for a Lavar Johnson/Pat Barry fight, regardless if both have lost 15 fights in a row, rather than a Jon Fitch/Josh Koscheck fight.
Michael_Corleone
3/2/13 12:29:27AM
LJ took the Struve fight on very short notice to save the all Heavyweight card.