Despite rumors, Melvin Manhoef not UFC-bound

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Despite rumors, Melvin Manhoef not UFC-bound
FastKnockout
2/8/13 1:28:58AM
Despite some rumors that have been floating around all week, it doesn't appear that the UFC is going to sign kickboxing star Melvin Manhoef to compete in their welterweight division.

Link
DrivenDavies15
2/8/13 1:57:20AM
awe
doesn't surprise me though, so many good grapplers at WW, I wouldn't see him being a top contender,,, but damn is he exciting to watch.
isk
2/8/13 2:26:04AM
The UFC WW division is swole at the moment, and has been for some time. For every Jon Fitch who's still hanging around but not making much movement towards a belt, there's a Demian Maia surging fantastically. For every Rick Story whose prior win streak was derailed by alternating wins and losses, there's a Johny Hendricks who continues to put top guys on their asses.

Manhoef could make some highlights, right, like the game on him is well known. He hits hard and quick, and his leg kicks would be up there with Thiago Alves'. But he's a bit chinny with a suspect ground game, and the cut to 170 is getting harder and harder each year.

At best, I'd see him do something like Paul Daley did, only without the illegal cheap shot following a loss.
hotrodttt
2/8/13 2:35:18AM
How the hell would he make 170? I think there's a typo
sbulldavid
2/8/13 10:02:27AM

Posted by hotrodttt

How the hell would he make 170? I think there's a typo

Maybe if you cut his thighs out
shaneTpain
2/8/13 10:12:23AM
Disappointing. Manhoef would KO the fuck outta some bums
Goatenstein
2/8/13 10:41:20AM
IF Leonard Garcia gets to keep his job Manhoef should be brought in.
BillsNewAccount
2/8/13 12:27:26PM

Posted by DrivenDavies15

awe
doesn't surprise me though, so many good grapplers at WW, I wouldn't see him being a top contender,,, but damn is he exciting to watch.

Gotta be a typo, he'd fight MW or even LHW and there are far less elite grapplers at that weight. I'd love to see him in the UFC.
Bubbles
2/8/13 12:46:02PM
WW? He is much better suited at MW

plus how would that look if Hunt fights for the title: "Mark Hunt was knocked out by a natural WW" - idiot fans
tcunningham
2/8/13 3:08:10PM
i never believed that he was going to WW, but i was hoping to see him in the ufc. i think he's probably close to retirement anyway.
Manak
2/8/13 4:54:09PM
no way it is WW, has to be MW or LHW. sucks though cause he can bring the leather and would make some amazing fights with guys in the UFC.
jae_1833
2/8/13 5:28:12PM
I think we (the hard core fans) need to accept that some of our "unknown" favorites (international veterans) will never be in the UFC. If they do come (ala Daley) they will be fed to the wolves as a way for Dana to prove that his crop of fighters are superior instead of building their popularity and hype the way it should be. This is going to keep them in obscurity, which is a damn shame!
Pookie
2/8/13 6:25:30PM
Manhoef v. Bisping/Lombard/Belfort at MW is better than anything they could make at WW
prozacnation1978
2/8/13 7:35:58PM
I wouldn't mind seeing him vs leban at middleweight
Chael_Sonnen
2/9/13 12:25:30AM
Listen, only ONE fight makes sense.....Melvin vs Robbie II @ 85.
Boo_Radley21
2/9/13 2:09:32PM
I would actually really like to see him in the UFC. Not as a potential title contender and not even as a gatekeeper really. I just want to see him in fights against guys like Leben Bisping Belfort Lombard Boetsch Wanderlei Rich anyone who would stand against him like he said