Despite apparent support, Thiago Santos' camp not entirely happy with Bellator brass

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Despite apparent support, Thiago Santos' camp not entirely happy with Bellator brass
grappler0000
3/25/12 2:08:00AM
Thiago Santos' manager makes no excuses for his fighter missing weight for Friday's Bellator 62 event.

That said, he's not exactly thrilled at the circumstances that were presented to his client.

Despite Bellator Fighting Championships CEO Bjorn Rebney's decision not to cut Santos for the infraction and to instead help connect him with a nutritional expert, manager Josef Borges believes the company should take a little responsibility for the misstep.

"What happened with Thiago was that he needed to cut a lot of weight for the fight on March 16," Borges told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) in his native Portuguese. "He cut 12 kilograms (27.5 pounds) up until 1 p.m. of March 15, when I called him to inform him the fight was postponed. At that moment, he was only 3 kilograms (6.6 pounds) from making weight...

Full Story
Chael_Sonnen
3/25/12 2:25:58AM
What an absolute joke......besides Andy, who gains that much weight in a week
tcunningham
3/25/12 3:19:38AM
at this point in his career he should have this stuff under control. 33lbs!? that's ridiculous to cut anyway, he should have leaned up a long time ago.
pmoney
3/25/12 3:33:31AM
Ah yes, the old "blame the promotion for a fighter missing weight" excuse. I'm glad they took that card out of their back pocket.
prophecy033
3/25/12 5:10:33AM
I'd say it should be the other way around. Bellator has every right as a promotion to be upset at Santos. Not once but twice was this fight cancelled. He had an extra week to cut the weight and he couldn't do it. That's one him, not anyone else. Now the wanna get bent at Bellator? Rebney is more then willing to help with his nutrition so that way he has no more problems cutting weight. I'd take whatever help he is willing to give just to get back on their good side
shaneTpain
3/25/12 10:50:52AM
Santos should be counting his lucky stars! Bellator is hooking him up with a nutritionist and treating him extremely fair after he ruined there heavyweight tournament. If this fight was in the UFC he would of been fired minutes after the weigh ins, deported and Dana probably would have bashed him for 3
weeks on Twitter!!
Kpro
3/25/12 12:28:54PM
He should've also had "flu-like symptoms" like Prindle did the week before and then the fight would be happening this Friday.
Twenty20Dollars
3/25/12 12:29:32PM
"The Brazilian heavyweight, who hovers around 300 pounds prior to his fights, has thus far remained quiet on the situation."

How about get your eating under control and get in some better shape, then you won't have to cut as much and you can make the cut easier.

I do see the point with Santos' camp. Bellator isn't the UFC, UFC prolly would have pushed it back a few weeks or a more.

And we are talking about the HW's, who have more to cut and put back on when they cut, so asking him to cut then push the fight back and he needs to rehydrate and put the weight back on and then tell him to make that cut again is a little wild.

Also maybe all them of them should have talked and been like "hey, I'm going to need it pushed back another week if you're going to make me cut 40lbs again."
Franklinfan47
3/25/12 1:00:24PM
In other news, Santos, Rumble Johnson, and Tim Sylvia are forming a new camp:

"The Fat-zilians"
Budgellism
3/25/12 1:24:32PM
This is borderline fighter bashing but seriously, fuck this guy. If he's going to pull all this shit and turn around and blame Bellator then he doesn't deserve to fight for them. He's one of their best Heavyweights (not saying much) but still. He doesn't deserve to fight for them or have them stand up for him.
Kpro
3/25/12 1:29:08PM

Posted by Budgellism

This is borderline fighter bashing but seriously, fuck this guy. If he's going to pull all this shit and turn around and blame Bellator then he doesn't deserve to fight for them. He's one of their best Heavyweights (not saying much) but still. He doesn't deserve to fight for them or have them stand up for him.

It's kind of like a Finkelstein/Fedor situation though since Santos hasn't actually said a word about it.
Budgellism
3/25/12 1:52:47PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Budgellism

It's kind of like a Finkelstein/Fedor situation though since Santos hasn't actually said a word about it.

That's true. I'm jumping the gun a little bit.
bjj1605
3/25/12 4:33:23PM
I have a solution.

Reduce the need for fighters to cut weight.

Have a rule that fighters must weigh in 6 weeks prior to their fight and that they can only lose (x%) of their body weight by fight night.

That way weight classes actually are meaningful and guys will always be fighting people of a similar size. Right now weight classes just test who's better at gaming the system.
Bubbles
3/25/12 5:26:33PM
I assume Prindle was ok making weight both weeks. I don't understand why Santos had to balloon all the way back up knowing he had to cut again in a week. This is all on Santos and his camp, not on Bellator
Dberntson
3/26/12 8:57:30AM

Posted by bjj1605

I have a solution.

Have a rule that fighters must weigh in 6 weeks prior to their fight and that they can only lose (x%) of their body weight by fight night.

That way weight classes actually are meaningful and guys will always be fighting people of a similar size. Right now weight classes just test who's better at gaming the system.

Weight cutting is a huge part of the sport/game. Its the same in all combat sports. Its purely strategy and up to the fighters to choose whch weight class they can and want to fight in. Its also a big mental part of the game and tests discipline. Its what makes the athletes mentally tougher than in other sports. For anyone who has competed in wrestling, MMA, boxing etc, its just part of the sport. Finally, Frankie Edgar chooses not to cut much wieght and is successful. Other fighters cut a lot of weight and are successful. The problem is with the fighters (or trainers who recommend it) who cut too much weight or do not know how to cut weight or have a proper diet. If a fighter doesnt have the discipline or cant handle the diet/weight cut, they can fight in higher weight classes. That's why they are there. The super heavy weights, those walking around over 300 pounds, usually carry a lot of fat and can cut down.

Cutting is pretty basic - if you want to fight in a lower weight class - lift less weights (big muscles weigh a lot), lower your calories, eat very healthy as every calorie has to have nutrients and be good for you, lose a couple pounds a week during training camp and then get yourself within a reasonable water weight cut the day before.
Kpro
3/26/12 10:10:21AM

Posted by Bubbles

I assume Prindle was ok making weight both weeks. I don't understand why Santos had to balloon all the way back up knowing he had to cut again in a week. This is all on Santos and his camp, not on Bellator

Prindle couldn't fight the week before due to 'flu-like symptoms and vomiting during his significant weight cut'. So Prindle's symptoms were brought on by trying to cut a 'significant' amount of weight.

I think they should have had them fight in a few weeks, or better yet, Santos just should've had "flu-like symptoms from a significant weight-cut" like Prindle did.
grappler0000
3/26/12 12:58:13PM
IDK, there are plenty of guys that couldn't make a weight cut in back to back weeks. I realize he isn't getting much slack because he could be in better shape...but, 2 weight cuts in a week is a lot to ask for, especially when that's not what you signed up for originally. A few weeks would've probably been more appropriate.
bjj1605
3/26/12 5:18:15PM

Posted by Dberntson

Posted by bjj1605

I have a solution.

Weight cutting is a huge part of the sport/game. Its the same in all combat sports. Its purely strategy and up to the fighters to choose whch weight class they can and want to fight in. Its also a big mental part of the game and tests discipline. Its what makes the athletes mentally tougher than in other sports. For anyone who has competed in wrestling, MMA, boxing etc, its just part of the sport. Finally, Frankie Edgar chooses not to cut much wieght and is successful. Other fighters cut a lot of weight and are successful. The problem is with the fighters (or trainers who recommend it) who cut too much weight or do not know how to cut weight or have a proper diet. If a fighter doesnt have the discipline or cant handle the diet/weight cut, they can fight in higher weight classes. That's why they are there. The super heavy weights, those walking around over 300 pounds, usually carry a lot of fat and can cut down.

Cutting is pretty basic - if you want to fight in a lower weight class - lift less weights (big muscles weigh a lot), lower your calories, eat very healthy as every calorie has to have nutrients and be good for you, lose a couple pounds a week during training camp and then get yourself within a reasonable water weight cut the day before.

First of all, I wrestled in high school. I currently compete several times a year in jiu jitsu competitions. I train with and am friends with several pro-MMA fighters. I know what cutting weight is all about so I don't need a lesson.

Weight cutting is unhealthy and bad for the longevity of a fighters career.

As a fan, it also an aspect of the sport that I would rather do with out.

I want the winner of the fight to be the best fighter, not the best weight cutter. It isn't fair to foreign fighters who come from countries that don't commonly cut weight (such as Japan.) It also isn't fair to people who don't have a wrestling background. Finally, it's not fair to people at the very lightest weights of the sport.

Say you walk around naturally at 126lbs and you want to be a UFC fighter. You have only one option, fight at Flyweight. But you have to go against a former wrestler who can cut 20lbs and so by fight night he weighs in at 135lbs. Is that fair to you?

I think that weight classes are there for a reason....fairness. Weight cutting is a way around weight classes. Again, this is bad for fans because we get less competitive fights.

Its bad for the sport. Its bad for the fighters. And its bad for the fans.