Despite 15-month layoff, Randy Couture says ring rust not a factor

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Despite 15-month layoff, Randy Couture says ring rust not a factor
MMAcca
11/9/08 12:31:49PM
When 45-year-old UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC) steps into the cage on Saturday night against Brock Lesnar at "UFC 91: Couture vs. Lesnar," it will be the first action for "The Natural" in nearly 15 months.

Couture has faced layoffs of over a year twice before in his illustrious career -- and won his return fight both times. In a recent UFC 91 media conference call, Couture said to expect the same this time around.

"Everybody asks about ring rust and all that stuff," Couture said. "I don't think it's the same for a mixed martial artist as it is for boxing. Sparring in the gym -- the training we do -- it's just about as real as the fights. So I'm not worried about that at all."

As the head of Xtreme Couture, one of the biggest and most highly respected training camps in MMA, Couture believes his daily routines have kept him in fight-ready shape.

LINK
Bowen50
11/9/08 12:47:31PM
i don't think ring rust will be a factor for Randy. as it syas in the article he has faced layoffs of over a year twice before and won in each return.
jiujitsufreak74
11/9/08 12:53:41PM

Posted by Bowen50

i don't think ring rust will be a factor for Randy. as it syas in the article he has faced layoffs of over a year twice before and won in each return.

but his opponent wasn't Brock Lesnar in those fights. i say ring rust will be somewhat of a factor. we forget that Randy is still human and his increasing age along with inactivity cannot be overlooked. i guess the only way to find out for sure though is to wait until saturday.
The-Don
11/9/08 1:40:06PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Bowen50

but his opponent wasn't Brock Lesnar in those fights. i say ring rust will be somewhat of a factor. we forget that Randy is still human and his increasing age along with inactivity cannot be overlooked. i guess the only way to find out for sure though is to wait until saturday.

To say he has been in active is unfair... He has not been competiting.. he has probably been very active in hopes of getting Fedor. There is a difference.. to say inactive implies he's been sitting on the couch watching TV and all.. I am sure he has been training... not just him self but helping others...
jiujitsufreak74
11/9/08 1:44:06PM

Posted by The-Don

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Bowen50

To say he has been in active is unfair... He has not been competiting.. he has probably been very active in hopes of getting Fedor. There is a difference.. to say inactive implies he's been sitting on the couch watching TV and all.. I am sure he has been training... not just him self but helping others...

i was referring to inactivity from the octagon. you are right in our point about him training, but when you haven't had an actual fight in over a year it can be a detrimental factor.
Twenty20Dollars
11/9/08 2:43:50PM
How can couture state that ring rust is not a factor when he hasnt fought yet. Sure he has had lay off's before but guess what he is 44 or 45 years old now, not as easy early in his career.

I say ring rust will be a factor.
Jackelope
11/9/08 2:45:50PM
I'm going to go against the norm here (sort of) and agree that ring rust won't be a factor for Randy. The man has competed his entire life in one form or another. I think he's far too much of a veteran athlete for something like that to get to him.

That, and the whole getting your ass kicked in the gym on a daily basis thing.
JimiMak
11/9/08 2:49:19PM
I can only hope and pray that he's right on the mark. I fear that Lesnar's size will be too much for him. Of course he almost always wins when the underdog...
Bowen50
11/9/08 3:01:09PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm going to go against the norm here (sort of) and agree that ring rust won't be a factor for Randy. The man has competed his entire life in one form or another. I think he's far too much of a veteran athlete for something like that to get to him.

That, and the whole getting your ass kicked in the gym on a daily basis thing.

Mayo
11/9/08 7:52:50PM
How about age rust? How old is too old?
PaleHorse
11/9/08 11:47:31PM

Posted by Mayo

How about age rust? How old is too old?

If you watch the Fight Science with Randy, Bas, Tito, and Dean Lister you'll see that the normal limitations of age and limitations of the body do not apply to Randy Couture, everyone here should feel really stupid if they bet against him and he wins, it'll be the tenth time Randy could say "I told you so" and personally I would pick Randy to beat Nog and Mir, people underrate his Jiu Jitsu big time, while Nog may be the best heavyweight to translate his bjj into MMA, Gabriel Gonzaga was a more famous practitioner in the BJJ world at Abu Dhabi, Pan Am, etc, and Gonzaga had nothing for Randy, he also took Jacare to a draw and I believe right now he's training with probably the best people in the world to get ready as a fighter in Demian Maia (it doesn't matter if he's a middleweight, he has heavyweight Jiu Jitsu that nobody in the world compares to), Wanderlei Silva (again size doesn't matter when you're a Muay Thai king), Forrest Griffin (a huge LHW with amazing cardio, definately a good sparring partner), Shane Carwin (a guy who in my opinion would have made a bigger splash on the scene had Lesnar not come along first with his WWE fame), and the countless other top notch fighters.
Twenty20Dollars
11/10/08 1:13:37AM
well gonzaga had his nose crushed which completely changed the fight in randys favor.

I think gonzaga would have had an answer for couture if that didnt happen but we wont even know.......