Who deserves a HW title shot?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who deserves a HW title shot?
big_timmy
5/5/08 12:23:38AM
With a thinning list, who is really set up to get a HW title shot? Kongo was looking good till his stupid game plan against Herring, O'Brien looked like he may get a shot, till he lost to AA, AA is more than likely gonna go somewhere else, but if he doesnt, has he earned another title shot?

Your thoughts?
puppetmaster837
5/5/08 12:38:41AM
O'brien was released from the UFC so its kind of guaranteed that he won't get one. It should be the winner of Werdum vs Vera.
MMAcca
5/5/08 12:40:40AM
It pretty much will be......
NatedawgThaM
5/5/08 1:48:57AM
Arlosvki definitely is the most deserving over anybody. But he most likely is still a fight away if he resigns because they'll have to give him another main card fight against a Kongo or Herring just to hype him up since giving him a title shot after fighting on the prelims just don't make sense.

So more then likely the winner of the Vera/Werdum fight will earn the next title shot even though AA is the most deserving. But then you also have that RETARDED rumor that Mir and Nog will coach TUF 8 and stupidly enough will have the next title shot. God, I hope that's not true. Mir beats two one dimensional fighters, one a kickboxing journeyman, and the other an inexperienced one fight, over hyped pro wrestler, and gets a title shot? No freakin way...
Webbie
5/5/08 1:59:29AM
There's a lot of talk about Mir being the next challenger for the HW title. I have nothing against Mir, but I honestly don't believe he's earned a shot; I believe Herring's done more to earn a title shot than Mir has, but I also believe Arlovski has done more than both of them. He finished the same guy who defeated Herring in his debut and he also won a decision over Werdum.

Either way, it doesn't look as though Arlovski will be granted a shot, and if he isn't I'd say the winner of Vera versus Werdum deserves the shot the most.
Rush
5/5/08 2:02:07AM
I can't think of any reasonably top UFC HW that has been able to string at least two wins together in their last two fights other than Nog.

If Werdum wins, I see him getting the next shot, but if Vera wins, I don't think he should get one without winning one more (at least)

Mchubb316
5/5/08 2:02:29AM
More than likely, the winner of Vera vs Werdum. I don't like the fact that if Vera beats Werdum he gets a title shot. He han't fought much in the past year or so, and he is coming off a loss. With the weak HW division the UFC is stuck with what they got.
juanez13
5/5/08 6:32:02AM
hopefully TUF keeps the HW division tied up for some time so that we can get a clear cut contender. This is actually the first time i think its good for a Champ to be a coach on TUF.
Broknmunky
5/5/08 8:31:22AM
I agree that AA deserves the shot but if he doesn't get it then Werdum or Vera should. Mir definitely doesn't deserve it.
fullerene
5/5/08 8:48:19AM
The obvous answers are guys not associated with the UFC anymore.

Out of who can reasonably be signed, I'd put Werdum at the top of the list followed by Vera, Mir and Kongo. It would be nice to have those pairs of fighters fight each other first. I think a win amongst them would be enough to provide credibiilty for a title shot.
MFOTHER
5/5/08 9:38:25AM

Posted by fullerene

Out of who can reasonably be signed, I'd put Werdum at the top of the list followed by Vera, Mir and Kongo. It would be nice to have those pairs of fighters fight each other first. I think a win amongst them would be enough to provide credibiilty for a title shot.

how is herring not included?
atlas777
5/5/08 10:39:27AM
Does anybody else think it doesnt really matter who wins in vera vs werdum imo they will both get killed by nog especially vera
pv3Hpv3p
5/5/08 11:07:56AM
it's a messy situation... With Arlovksi and Sylvia leaving... that doesn't leave much for the HW div...

Vera is coming off of a lose and a long lay off before that, so I don't think he's deserving...

Herring already lost to Nog just two fights ago... And that was already their 3rd fight agianst eachother...

Kongo is very clearly over-rated and never should have been considered a top 10 HW, IMO...

Mir is on a 2 fight win streak, but is givin McCully as his next fight???!!!??? To me this either means, they want him to win so he can coach the show like previously stated... Or he is being pushed out of the title picture, for now...

Werdum has the craptastic loss to AA... And then beat Gonzaga very convincingly... To me, if he beats Vera he's gotta be next in line...

They really need to do something to help this division out, IMO
Franklinfan47
5/5/08 11:23:10AM
Right now it looks as if Mir will get the next title shot, which if you ask me, is BS. The winner of Vera/Werdum should be getting it instead because:

1. Vera destroyed Mir at ufc 65.
2. Who has Mir beat recently? Antoni Hardonk (who? oh ya that guy who lost to Justin McCully) and Lesnar (a guy with a total of 2 mma fights). Mir is a good fighter, but he needs some bigger name wins to get a title shot imo.
3. Meanwhile, Vera and Werdum have beaten legit guys in their last couple of fights such as Werdum over Gonzaga and Vera over Mir himself.
Twenty20Dollars
5/5/08 12:43:00PM
Well big nog has talked about fighting at the UFC 87 card, so im thinking that rules him out of being a TUF coach hopefully, dont want to see the title put on hold for the show, even though there arent many contenders.

Werdum possibly if he beats Vera, could set up that 87 fight. and Then there is Mir who i dont think is ready for a crack at the title unless he takes that fight with McCully and finishes mccully. cus that would be 3wins by mir all finishes.

But if UFC and Andrei could work something out and resign him he would be the clear cut contender right now. Really hope ufc resigns AA, but if not hopefully Werdum can pull out a win over Vera to clear things up.
Neo
5/5/08 1:15:40PM
Arlovski would be the no-brainer assuming he'd still be with the UFC. Otherwise the winner of Vera/Werdum would make sense. I know Vera is coming off of a loss and long lay off but the only other fight that would make sense before a title shot assuming he beats Werdum, would be a rematch with Timmy. But obviously now that's not gonna happen. Mir is one of my favorite fighters but he definitely shouldn't be in line for a shot over winner of Vera/Werdum. Also not getting the talk about Herring being in the mix. His next fight should probably be against Gonzaga or Sanchez.
NinjaCyborg
5/5/08 1:17:29PM
Why doesn't the UFC call up some HeavyWeights from the WEC and bring them into the UFC?
Also they should really push to resign Andrei.
And perhaps try to bring back Jeff Monson
stock
5/5/08 1:27:59PM
IMO, the winner of Werdum/Vera seems like the most logical answer.
Since Mir is scheduled to fight in June, pretty sure they would not put him against Nog right away in August (unless it is an extremely short victory).

Wow, the UFC HW division really needs some tallent.
gsquat
5/5/08 2:42:19PM
Clear choice... Arlovski
pv3Hpv3p
5/5/08 3:56:30PM

Posted by NinjaCyborg

Why doesn't the UFC call up some HeavyWeights from the WEC and bring them into the UFC?

I dont' think the WEC has a HW div...
fullerene
5/5/08 3:58:55PM

Posted by MFOTHER

Posted by fullerene

how is herring not included?

I gave him some thought. He only has a .500 record in the UFC, but even that might be enough given the thin pickings. The real problem is that he lost to Nog two fights back and he has lost to Nog 3x in total. I don't think he can be sold as a legitimate threat to him unless he pulls off some big wins.
NinjaCyborg
5/5/08 4:02:14PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by NinjaCyborg

I dont' think the WEC has a HW div...

Hmm, I think you're right.
I was picturing Doug Marshall for a moment, but then I remembered he is LHW.
Wow, MMA is really hurting for some heavyweights.
tomsmith17381
5/5/08 4:12:44PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

it's a messy situation... With Arlovksi and Sylvia leaving... that doesn't leave much for the HW div...

Vera is coming off of a lose and a long lay off before that, so I don't think he's deserving...

Herring already lost to Nog just two fights ago... And that was already their 3rd fight agianst eachother...

Kongo is very clearly over-rated and never should have been considered a top 10 HW, IMO...

Mir is on a 2 fight win streak, but is givin McCully as his next fight???!!!??? To me this either means, they want him to win so he can coach the show like previously stated... Or he is being pushed out of the title picture, for now...

Werdum has the craptastic loss to AA... And then beat Gonzaga very convincingly... To me, if he beats Vera he's gotta be next in line...

who cares that sylvia and arlovski have left they have put up snoozefest after snoozefest of late good riddance i say.
jimmypockets
5/5/08 7:16:10PM
It should be Mir because it is long overdue. The man was stripped of his title due to a motorcycle accident. He should get the shot if he wants it as soon as he thinks he is ready. A half ready Mir was beaten by Vera. The only fair way in my opinion to determine the next challenger is to take Herring vs. Werdum and Mir vs. Arlovski and then have the winners fight each other for the shot. That will not happen though cause it would cause a huge layoff for Nog. I believe Mir will get the next shot due to his signing as one of the next TUF coaches. He deserves any shot that he gets and I believe Mir vs. Nog is going to determine who is the best Heavyweight submission artist. Nog has him in standup and ability to take punishment. They don't get much slicker than Mir on the ground.
pinoymixplaya
5/5/08 11:02:07PM
winner of Werdum v. Vera

then AA resigns and fights Kongo for next in line...

Mir fights Gonzaga, so Frank can have a win over somebody that is a contender....
Pitbull09
5/5/08 11:33:45PM
AA deserves it, he really should stay. Biggest org with a title shot? What not to like?

Winner of Werdum vs Vera will get a shot but I dont think Vera deserves a shot so quick

It might be Mir though if the next TUF is Mir vs Nog
Pitbull09
5/5/08 11:36:53PM

Posted by tomsmith17381

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

who cares that sylvia and arlovski have left they have put up snoozefest after snoozefest of late good riddance i say.

Are you aware you just put down the past two title holders? I am so sorry that AA had a bad fight with Werdum but its Werdums fault to (if anything he was the one backing up the most.) No one blames Werdum at all for that crappy fight but AA, the guy who is known for great KO finishes took the shaft.

Sylvia's great fight to me was with Couture. I dont think he would agree with me though
bbman182
5/5/08 11:39:50PM
arlovski.. then vera/werdum winner.. then mir if he gets a couple of W's
holt8081
5/16/08 12:40:13AM
damn we need Randy back, Oh well Tims gone Randys gone AA might be gone. What the hell is a division to do.
89vision
5/16/08 2:02:55AM
not even debatable that its Arlovski, thanks alot dana!!!