Who deserves MW title shot?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who deserves MW title shot?
pinoymixplaya
4/30/08 1:04:53PM
Who do you think deserves a title shot against Anderson Silva....?

First of all I think Yushin Okami gets next shot at A. Silva....kind of obvious there, 6-1 in UFC, but because his style isn't the most exciting he may not be first in line....but he should be...

If Michael Bisping KO/TKO Leben in the first round, he should get a title shot too....A. Silva got a title shot after one fight (ironic it was against Leben....)

Patrick Cote could give Silva a run for his money...Great striker against another great striker could definitely lead up to a great fight...

Demian Maia could get a title shot, probably after one or two fights against contenders....

Lastly I would think that if Martin Kampmann comes back with a win against Jorge Rivera then he should be next in line also....
Twenty20Dollars
4/30/08 1:12:18PM
okami because he finished tanner just like with machida he finished soko when everyone thought they were boring. and okami vs silva would be a rematch.

i doubt bisping gets a shot that quick but i guess i wouldnt be as suprised.

Maybe Cote if he finishes Ricardo.

Heres the line
1.Okami
2.Cote if he finished ricardo
3.the winner of bisping vs leben
4. kampmann if he beats jorge and another person
5. Maia would have to beat another contender.
DCRage
4/30/08 1:12:27PM
Okami's next barring a change in plans. Maia probably needs at least 2 more fights even though he's off to a great start. Bisping should have to beat Leben then beat Franklin to get his, Ace is probably the gatekeeper now even if he never gets another shot at Silva...and considering how he bounced back after the first 2 losses, I woudln't be surprised to see him get one last shot if the rumored Hendo fight happens later this year and he wins.
pv3Hpv3p
4/30/08 1:25:24PM
As for Okami being a less exciting fighter... I agree somewhat, but think the UFC looks at it as Anderson's fight, and it seems that he can make just about any fight exciting...

That and I would think Anderson wants the rematch, and if the past is any judge of the future, the UFC will cater to that wish, much like they did with Chuck and Horn, Randy, Rampage, etc
loonytnt
4/30/08 1:42:15PM
who's next in line for a loss imo, that guy is looking good
prozacnation1978
4/30/08 1:44:17PM
i think it will be okami
he did beat silva, why would silva not want a rematch

next in line is tricky if they do get rid of wec middleweights i see a fihlo vs silva showdown next

then i would say either bisping if he wins another two matches or cote if he beats almeida and someone else.

there are guys out there you don't have to have the gsp fight at all!!
seanfu
4/30/08 4:36:30PM
Silva vacates title, gets ass kicked by Jones.

Then it's time for a real fight... Chainsaw vs Starnes for the vacant title!!!
fedorwins1
4/30/08 5:17:00PM
Okami, but I think Okami will lose just like everyone else so far.

I think Cote is next in line after Okami though, the guy has been on a streak and he has a chin made of fricken STEEL , his striking isn't too shabby either.
GrandMaster313
4/30/08 5:50:08PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

okami because he finished tanner just like with machida he finished soko when everyone thought they were boring. and okami vs silva would be a rematch.

i doubt bisping gets a shot that quick but i guess i wouldnt be as suprised.

Maybe Cote if he finishes Ricardo.

Heres the line
1.Okami
2.Cote if he finished ricardo
3.the winner of bisping vs leben
4. kampmann if he beats jorge and another person
5. Maia would have to beat another contender.

i agree okami should be next in line. i would say marquardt but well......we know what happened last time
Violence108
4/30/08 6:26:54PM
OKAMI!!!!!!!!!!! he's earned his shot for the title!! (6-1) in the UFC not bad. the UFC needs to stop playing around with these t.v show to get people to fight for the title. just F****n get the fighter that is worked his way up to the shot and give it to him, and no more losing the title then haveing one fight and BOOM fighter for the title again there are guys how had some tuf fights going for the title and is not right for them to be over looked just because they werent on a T.v show with the champ!!!! srry had to get that off my chest.

WAR OKAMI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tein_Lung
4/30/08 7:04:10PM
They need to make it with Okami he deservs the shot.. he lost to Rich.. the 2nd best MW in the world... Okami then comes back to win his next two... Okami at this point is the only who has a chance at beating Silva... Okami si a STRONG wrestler that will be able to take Silva down i think... Hendo tried to play the clinch game which is Silvas world and lost because of it... I want to see silva fight a solid ground guy that doesn't blow his load faster then a nerd with a hooker
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/30/08 9:26:28PM
okami because anderson needs some sweet revenge. last time when they fought obviously anderson's upkick disqualified himself. anderson would of destroyed him , which yushin knew , so he chose not to continue when he easily could have. yushin will get destroyed. imo bisping will give anderson the toughest fight. maia's striking, stamina(looked gassed to me against herman) arent good enough to defeat anderson. cote will get picked off exactly like leben did. imo leben and cote's chins are equal, very solid but anderson is you know....
if ricardo gets past cote ( good chance IMO) he would pose anderson the biggest threat other then bisping. ricardos wins over marquart , misaki , chonan and his 7 fight win streak are impressive.
kampmann's striking is not good enough to defeat anderson and his ground game isnt as good either. would have a 2 inch height disadvantage . i think anderson would be heavier too. easy win for anderson. mcfedries rocked kampmann good on the feet and if he had any kind of ground game , he would of won the fight.
jorge riviera already got destroyed in a similar fashion too rich franklin .

anderson win be champ of mw untill he decides to move up in weight.
Mchubb316
4/30/08 11:19:08PM
Okami has done what he needs to get a title shot. Henderson probably will get a rematch with a string of wins. I'm sure they will try to push Bisping, just because he is a familiar face with the fans because of TUF. I see Silva holding on to the belt through the rest of 08 and unless they get someone new in the division holding through 09.
Kastro
5/1/08 5:21:48PM
Theres talks of him actually fighting boxing legend Roy Jones Jr..

I am seriously hoping that goes down, I would much rather watch that then Silva vs Okami.. it will be one of the first types of big time boxer vs mma matchups.. and I think Silva has a good chance of winning.

Definitely running out of challengers for Silva.
Ben_Hutch
5/1/08 5:35:58PM
" If Michael Bisping KO/TKO Leben in the first round, he should get a title shot too "

I very much doubt that, he'd have to get through at least 1 more fighter, including Rich Franklin.
pinoymixplaya
5/1/08 11:41:16PM

Posted by Ben_Hutch

" If Michael Bisping KO/TKO Leben in the first round, he should get a title shot too "

I very much doubt that, he'd have to get through at least 1 more fighter, including Rich Franklin.

I don't think that is what's best for the MW division, because if someone has to beat Franklin to get to Silva, then the belt will be in limbo. I don't see anyone that is outstandingly better than Franklin other than Silva, so who is the champ to fight? Franklin over and over because nobody can beat him? And Silva got a title shot only after one win, a KO over Leben. Hendo got a title shot in his 2nd fight in the UFC following a loss to Rampage.

Bisping is 5-1 in the UFC and if he beats Leben, then he will look even better as a contender, if not the next guy to get a title shot. I am not a huge fan of Bisping, I actually used to think he could only beat C level fighters and would/should lose to higher level fighters but after seeing his fight at 185, he will be a force at MW.

Only other person deserving more would be Okami since both he and Silva have no fights coming up or Kampmann if he gets by Rivera. Kampmann should probably fight Franklin if he beats Jorge decisively.
cj_striker
5/2/08 12:43:34AM
Okami will get the next title shot as pretty much everyone is saying. And although I will be pulling for him to beat Anderson(so my boy Franklin can get his title back, then defend it successfully against Anderson later) it will most likely not happen. But how sweet that would be, seeing how Franklin is the only person in the UFC to defeat Okami he should get the next shot at the title if Okami wins it. ....The only MW fighters that even have a chance in my mind are Franklin, Hendo, Marquardt (who obviously have all been beaten by Anderson, but in my mind have the skill to beat him with the right game plan), then possibly Ricardo if he gets past Cote who is on fire right now, because if Anderson is going to get submitted by someone in a fight it would be Ricardo. Bisping would be interesting and I would love to see it although Anderson would most likely take him...But as I have said before the UFC needs to get out there and bring in Lindland, Lawler, Kang, and Cung Le just to name a few to really start stacking a semi-weak division. And if Anderson does defeat Okami, the UFC should definitely try and make a Silva vs. Filho match.
browneye
5/2/08 10:13:01AM
The winner of Michael Bisping and Leben should get a title shot
NinjaCyborg
5/2/08 3:42:37PM

Posted by Kastro

Theres talks of him actually fighting boxing legend Roy Jones Jr..

I am seriously hoping that goes down, I would much rather watch that then Silva vs Okami.. it will be one of the first types of big time boxer vs mma matchups.. and I think Silva has a good chance of winning.

Definitely running out of challengers for Silva.

The talks were for Silva to fight Jones Jr. in a legitimate boxing match. Dana White said No, Case closed, not gonna happen.
Ordep
5/2/08 6:16:11PM
Ross Pointon or Andy Wang

I'm sure they can cut/make the weight
Broknmunky
5/5/08 8:42:15AM
Bottom line is SOMEONE has to fight him for the belt and imo all these guys are questionable. I think Okami, Bisping, or Cote would be good fights for him but I don't see them beating Silva. Just line em all up and say "Next"!
casey64
5/5/08 9:51:24AM
Okami is next no doubt.
Franklinfan47
5/5/08 11:27:13AM
I would think Okami. They could play the angle that Okami has a win over Silva already. After that, Bisping, Cote, Hendo again, who knows.
Neo
5/5/08 12:18:03PM
Okami should be Silva's next match no doubt. Winner of Leben/Bisping would make sense although I think they should put MacDonald vs. Quarry and winner of that wouldn't be too far fetched. We do remember that MacDonald has beat Leben already? I'm not sure why Cote is in the mix. Even if Cote beats Almeida, I think there's a whole list of guys above him that he'd have to beat at least 1 before getting considered for a title shot.