Who deserves the title as # 1 contender in the UFC LHW??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who deserves the title as # 1 contender in the UFC LHW??
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Who deserves the # 1 contender status to fight Chuck?
Rampage Jackson 46% (65)
Rashad Evans 30% (42)
Keith Jardine 18% (26)
Other 6% (9)
unethikal
3/6/07 9:26:21AM

Posted by Baltimore_Brawler

i think either rampage or rashad evans

both fighters are explosive its jus thaat rashad needs to learn more in ground fights
hes gettin better tho

I agree. Rashad is the real deal and IMO the #1 contender. I don't know what else he has to do to shut up the TUF haters.
SICKRICK
3/6/07 2:37:33PM
griffin or rampage
Targaryan
3/6/07 4:06:33PM
I would go with Rashad Evans. He hasn't lost in the UFC yet and he has looke dpretty impressive his last two fights. He also won TUF and Jardine didn't. Jardine would be a decent candidate, but even though I thought he beat Bonnar it was a close fight, and even though he beat Griffin impressively I think Griffin got caught. It wasn't a lucky punch and I'm not trying to discredit Jardine's win, but I don't think Jardine went out and exactly dominated that fight. As for Rampage, well he's probably the best fighter of the 3, and he's fought better competition than the others. He hold a win over Chuck as well and I would like to see him fight Chuck before Rashad or Jardine. However, his wins in Pride/WFA and his win over Eastman dont, IMO, make him deserving of the #1 contendership in the UFC LHW division.
madmarck
3/6/07 7:09:05PM

Posted by unethikal

Posted by Baltimore_Brawler

i think either rampage or rashad evans

both fighters are explosive its jus thaat rashad needs to learn more in ground fights
hes gettin better tho

I agree. Rashad is the real deal and IMO the #1 contender. I don't know what else he has to do to shut up the TUF haters.

Man they wont even shut up if he beats Chuck. Tuf haters are the worst.
mkiv9secsupra
3/7/07 2:05:45AM
im not saying evans isnt deserving. but his undefeated record doesnt have any huge wins over great competion. he doesnt have wins over big time practitioners like ortiz or couture.
chentay2112
3/7/07 1:54:09PM
i have to go with jardine here... i agree rampage has fought and beaten the better fighters BUT NOT in the ufc i think jardine is the best of the rest at the moment (apart from tito) give rampage a couple of wins against good opponents and then give him his shot and how can you jardine beat forest griffin with a lucky punch??? if you throw a punch you mean to knock somebody out.... i dont believe in lucky punches
mkiv9secsupra
3/7/07 9:26:53PM
to me it seems that before any of the three become the #1 contender they should have to go through ortiz...IMO Ortiz could beat jardine and evans without too much trouble. But ortiz and rampage i doubt will ever happen bc rampage and ortiz being good friends. they should just borrow from pride a little and have a tourny to compete for the title shot.
Berti
3/8/07 5:19:10PM
rampage is the obvious guess and the person chuck probably wants most...he loves avenging loses...
madmarck
3/8/07 8:17:39PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

im not saying evans isnt deserving. but his undefeated record doesnt have any huge wins over great competion. he doesnt have wins over big time practitioners like ortiz or couture.

Well there are only so many guys that are top 3 in the UFC (3 to be exact). I dont think Evans gets enough credit for his win over lambert. He KO'd him badly. and i mean no one else int he UFC, even Babalu, has been able to stop him. Rashads next fight should be against someone big. I think he might have to beat the winner of Griffin/Lyoto down badly. I think the winner of that fight will get a title shot (Evans vs Griffin/Lyoto).
shocktek
3/8/07 9:44:52PM
Rampage cuz he has been around for a while and has payed his dues, but on the other hand Rashad is right there also.
mmadb
3/9/07 12:28:22PM
When Evans beats Ortiz he will finally get some respect
mkiv9secsupra
3/9/07 2:13:55PM

Posted by mmadb

When Evans beats Ortiz he will finally get some respect

Big if there...but yeah he would get respect then. but i remember evans gassing out in the 3rd round on the finale of TUF(although it was against Imes) but ortiz can just outlast evans easily
Junior24
3/9/07 4:16:20PM
Micahel Bisping, Rampage, Henderson and Shogun are the only real contenders on this planet at this time. Evans and Jardine will eventually, but they have to beat someone formidable (i.e. Tito Ortiz). Bonnar and Griffin are not formidable foes in my opinion. Bonnar is garbage, I dont even know why he is even mentioned anymore, and Griffin needs more time.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/9/07 9:13:39PM

Posted by Junior24

Micahel Bisping, Rampage, Henderson and Shogun are the only real contenders on this planet at this time. Evans and Jardine will eventually, but they have to beat someone formidable (i.e. Tito Ortiz). Bonnar and Griffin are not formidable foes in my opinion. Bonnar is garbage, I dont even know why he is even mentioned anymore, and Griffin needs more time.

Michael Bisping...

who has he beaten that Evans and Jardine have not?

Bisping has not faught anyone yet
Stickan
3/9/07 9:35:50PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

I dont think Evans gets enough credit for his win over lambert. He KO'd him badly. and i mean no one else int he UFC, even Babalu, has been able to stop him.

You make it sound like Lambert has fought anyone worth mentioning besides Rashad and Babalu in the UFC.

Jardine, Evans and Rampage are obviously the top contenders. Bisping is not even close at this point and a fight against Sinosic won't prove shit either, unless he loses.

Jardine seems to be tied up fighting Ortiz so that leaves Evans and Page. I hope Chuck fights Evans first and Rampage gets another tune-up fight before he steps in the ring with the winner of Chuck and Rashad.
mkiv9secsupra
3/9/07 9:57:41PM
rampage is the only one who has a chance....if he even has a chance at all...jardines striking doesnt even compare to liddells, rashads wrestling wont do him any good, and bisping i believe will one day be the champ but hes got some time before thatll ever happen.
ryderstrong69
3/9/07 11:47:08PM
rampage if he wins
ryderstrong69
3/9/07 11:48:37PM
machida i think will be a future 205 champ in the ufc he is gonna open some eyes after he destroys griffin
gimmper
3/11/07 1:09:31AM
I like the energy that Rampage and Iceman bring to the table
madmarck
3/12/07 9:36:10AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

rampage is the only one who has a chance....if he even has a chance at all...jardines striking doesnt even compare to liddells, rashads wrestling wont do him any good, and bisping i believe will one day be the champ but hes got some time before thatll ever happen.

Can anyone at 205 in the UFC outstrike Chuck? No. the only chance anyone has at 205 is to take him down. Tito, Babalu, and Randy all couldnt do it, and they are all amazign wrestlers. I think Rampage is the only guy who has a chance to beat chuck. That is until Lyoto proves himself a bit more.
SICKRICK
3/12/07 9:45:40AM
griffin is going to kill machida its a lock
mkiv9secsupra
3/12/07 5:39:57PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Can anyone at 205 in the UFC outstrike Chuck? No. the only chance anyone has at 205 is to take him down. Tito, Babalu, and Randy all couldnt do it, and they are all amazign wrestlers. I think Rampage is the only guy who has a chance to beat chuck. That is until Lyoto proves himself a bit more.

the problem with rampage is he CANT take chuck down. Randleman has much more wrestling game than rampage but even he couldnt take him down. the only fighters that can take liddell are great strikers(crocop) and in 205 there are just none that compare so rampage may get a shot or two in but in the end he is still taking a right straight and going down.
Junior24
3/12/07 5:50:33PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by Junior24

Michael Bisping...

who has he beaten that Evans and Jardine have not?

Bisping has not faught anyone yet

I would beg to differ. Maybe not in UFC but CR and CWFC he faught more formidable foes. I think Evans would overestimate his striking ability and get worked, jardine would make the same mistake, tito and bisping would be an awesome fight. I think evans & bisping should fight for #1 contender. Loser fight Jardine for the next #1. Tito would have to beat one of those 3 before he should be allowed another shot.
Junior24
3/12/07 6:04:02PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

the problem with rampage is he CANT take chuck down. Randleman has much more wrestling game than rampage but even he couldnt take him down. the only fighters that can take liddell are great strikers(crocop) and in 205 there are just none that compare so rampage may get a shot or two in but in the end he is still taking a right straight and going down.

I believe this says it all...
farcode
3/12/07 8:13:38PM
Evans, simply because Rampage most likely will get one or two more matches before anyone, mainly the UFC, says that he "deserves" number one contender status. I went with Evans over Jardine because, imo, he's the more talented fighter.
CornishMMA
3/13/07 11:05:50AM
Its all pending on chuck recovering from his illness according to dana

Chuck -VS- Rampage ........................... so soon .............. hmmmm i wonder if the ufc want chuck to avenge his loss to a still rusty rampage (2 fights in the last year).

If Forrest had beaten Jardine it could of been him but i spose dana thinks he cant justify giving jardine or rashad the shot
madmarck
3/14/07 9:34:03AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Umm Rampage fought Randleman. And he beat him and showed better wrestling. Dont underestiamte Rampages Wrestling. And Chuck can be taken down, Randy Proved it. Rampage has the ability to take him down. Just look at Anderson, Everyone said he was unstoppable after he beat rich. The Lutter took him down like it was nothing.
mkiv9secsupra
3/14/07 5:13:34PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by madmarck

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Umm Rampage fought Randleman. And he beat him and showed better wrestling. Dont underestiamte Rampages Wrestling. And Chuck can be taken down, Randy Proved it. Rampage has the ability to take him down. Just look at Anderson, Everyone said he was unstoppable after he beat rich. The Lutter took him down like it was nothing.

rampage took randleman down bc he wasnt expecting it...randleman thought rampage was going to try for a standup match. and couture did take him down but when is the last time anyone took liddell down and he didnt just stand right back up? i never said anderson was unstoppable, franklin will comeback and beat him if someone else doesnt first. and anderson silva?! cmon he isnt anywhere near liddells level
CreamySmooth
3/14/07 5:38:26PM
At this point there really is no other choice but Rampage. As of yet, I just don't see Mr. Evans as a viable contender.
madmarck
3/16/07 9:06:48AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by madmarck

rampage took randleman down bc he wasnt expecting it...randleman thought rampage was going to try for a standup match. and couture did take him down but when is the last time anyone took liddell down and he didnt just stand right back up? i never said anderson was unstoppable, franklin will comeback and beat him if someone else doesnt first. and anderson silva?! cmon he isnt anywhere near liddells level

I was using Anderson Silva has a comparison. So Randleman was expecting Rampage to strike. Do you think that lessens Jackson's win? Hell no. Chuck was expceting a take donw. And Rampage rocked him several times on the feet. Althoguh Rampage did get a Takedown in that fight no one was expecting him to dominate Chuck so throguhly.

The biggest diffrenece in Chuck/ Rampage 2 will be the Cage. Chuck uses that cage so good to stand up. He couldnt do that in Pride and simply got ground and pounded. Rampage may lose the 2nd fight for that sole reason.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5