Who deserves the title as # 1 contender in the UFC LHW??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who deserves the title as # 1 contender in the UFC LHW??
« Previous Page | Next Page »
POLL: Who deserves the # 1 contender status to fight Chuck?
Rampage Jackson 46% (65)
Rashad Evans 30% (42)
Keith Jardine 18% (26)
Other 6% (9)
SoldierSmurf
2/28/07 12:40:33AM
Rampage
jaba
2/28/07 1:24:26AM
Rampage definitely right now, after rampage the next contender should be not rashad or jardine but Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida. This guy has wins over BJ Penn, Rick Franklin, stephan bonnar, vernon white, sam hoger, sam greco and a perfect 9 and 0 record. Rashad and jardine are just another case of TUF overhyping by the UFC, machida would woop the both of em.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
madmarck
2/28/07 9:26:06AM

Posted by jaba

Rampage definitely right now, after rampage the next contender should be not rashad or jardine but Ryoto "Lyoto" Machida. This guy has wins over BJ Penn, Rick Franklin, stephan bonnar, vernon white, sam hoger, sam greco and a perfect 9 and 0 record. Rashad and jardine are just another case of TUF overhyping by the UFC, machida would woop the both of em.

I think we will see the calibre of Forrest and Lyoto when they fight. If Lyoto wins he is 1-2 wins away from a title shot. If Forrest Wins he is probably the same. I dont think either will get a title shot right away.
poll77
3/1/07 8:15:02AM
rampage...the end
TVDog
3/1/07 7:25:45PM
Jardine's got my vote. He took down Forrest--who I thought was definitely being groomed to be Chuck's next vict...erm, opponent, and did so in convincing enough fashion to get a title shot. When Chuck fights next it'll more than likely be Jardine.

Rampage doesn't even want a title shot right now. He's focused on getting acclimated to the UFC and proving himself to the fans. Good for him; Quinton can go take the title when he's good and ready.
poll77
3/1/07 7:50:24PM
sorry, repost
Northrend
3/2/07 3:27:48AM
Rampage baby

madmarck
3/2/07 9:55:56AM

Posted by Northrend

Rampage baby

Rumour has it. And Besides Tito and Babalu he is by far the most credible.
unethikal
3/2/07 12:33:28PM
Chuck should fight himself. He's the only one that deserves a shot.

But seriously, not too many "deserving". If "deserving" means "He who has worked thier way through the ranks without losing", then there are only two. Everyone else has either lost, or not had enough UFC fights. Rashad and Jardine are the only "deserving" fighters. Now, that said, when has the UFC ever let the deserving fighters get first shot? Hardly ever. And how many think both of these fighters are "truely deserving"? One could argue either way.

Therefore....

I want to see Quinton V Chuck II.
cowcatcher
3/2/07 1:15:49PM
Rampage for obvious reasons is the choice here, he beat Chuck and Chuck has been avenging every loss he had, the UFC wants him to beat all that beat him before to prove his dominance and to prove he's the #1 LW anywhere. Someone posted my second thought though and that's Machida, the guy has beaten a who's who of fighters and if he gets past Forrest he's gonna be in line soon. I like Jardine but for ppl to say Rashad and Forrest are overhyped TUF guys then hug Keith's nuts is ridiculous, he was on and didn't win TUF so the other 2 guys that did win aren't overhyped they did what he couldn't do. I would like to see Jardine get his shot after 1 or 2 more fights though as long as he wins the guy can be a beast and looks as much the part of a fighter as anyone.
ReproMan
3/2/07 3:37:36PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Rampage for obvious reasons is the choice here, he beat Chuck and Chuck has been avenging every loss he had, the UFC wants him to beat all that beat him before to prove his dominance and to prove he's the #1 LW anywhere. Someone posted my second thought though and that's Machida, the guy has beaten a who's who of fighters and if he gets past Forrest he's gonna be in line soon. I like Jardine but for ppl to say Rashad and Forrest are overhyped TUF guys then hug Keith's nuts is ridiculous, he was on and didn't win TUF so the other 2 guys that did win aren't overhyped they did what he couldn't do. I would like to see Jardine get his shot after 1 or 2 more fights though as long as he wins the guy can be a beast and looks as much the part of a fighter as anyone.

I'll agree with the consensus that Griffin is over hyped, but I can't see how that can be said for Rashad or Jardine. Both of those fighters fought at heavyweight on the show, and the fact that Rashad Beat a man a 1/2 foot taller than him is a testament to his ability. Not to mention Jardine KO'd the winner of TUF and IMHO should have won the decision in the Bonnar fight. I defintely think either Evans or Jardine would be great candidates for a title shot, as well as Machida and Rampage.
madmarck
3/3/07 2:27:33PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Thats true anyone who thinks Keith is the real deal and Rashad is overhyped is insane. Remember on TUF when the 2 guys who were thought were gonna win it. they were Keith Jardine and Mike Whitehead, Rashad beat them both in fights that were only a few days apart.
As i recall Rashad dominated both of those fights as well as beating Tom Murphy ina 3 round Decsion only a week or 2 before. Now thats hard work. Nobody can say Rashad is overhyped.
Baltimore_Brawler
3/3/07 3:49:01PM
i think either rampage or rashad evans

both fighters are explosive its jus thaat rashad needs to learn more in ground fights
hes gettin better tho
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
CornishMMA
3/3/07 8:07:24PM
Obviously Rampage is the better fighter and stands the best chance to beat chuck but as far as "deserving it" coupled with what makes sense at this time = RASHAD EVANS.

Somebody has to fight Chuck in May and unless they buy someone big it has to be either Jardine or Evans

Im no real fan of his but Rashad is undefeated 15-0 --- 5-0 in the UFC --- coming off 2 KO wins and having great wrestling ability = great opponent for chuck

CornishMMA
3/3/07 8:15:50PM
Surprised at so many people saying Rampage??? he may be the best fighter and faced better opponents by far in pride but its #1 contender status in the UFC, 1 win over a weak opponent shouldnt give that, and its beside the point because Dana has said they wont fight next, chuck will fight someone and then they may fight in August

Less of the "deserves" and concentrate more on what makes sense in the meantime
Kazmierz21
3/3/07 8:38:54PM
Either Rampage or Machida - either of them would whoop up on any of the others - Jardine, Griffin, Evans are all B/B+ fighters at best - nothing that impressive with any of them
madmarck
3/3/07 11:04:57PM

Posted by Kazmierz21

Either Rampage or Machida - either of them would whoop up on any of the others - Jardine, Griffin, Evans are all B/B+ fighters at best - nothing that impressive with any of them

Your not impressed with Rashad LHK over Salmon? Or his KO over Lambet while mounted? I think Rashad is jsut jumpin leaps and bounds now. Soon he will be ready for a title shot (after rampage of course).
pitbull36
3/3/07 11:22:13PM
I believe Rampage needs a shot, simply because that's who chuck wants. He would like to avenge his loss and rampage is more than qualified. so i say let them go at it. just my opinion but i don't think rashad evans is ready.
farcode
3/4/07 2:02:47AM
Evans, deserves is the key work here
madmarck
3/4/07 9:57:27AM
Changed my mind. After Randy Beats Cro Cop. He is gonna drop to LHW and unify the titles.
disorderlyvision
3/4/07 2:01:25PM
I voted for Rampage because he has already beat Liddell, and I want to see the rematch. however, they were talking about the griifin/jardine fight to be for shot at the title. so maybe jardine can fight chuck, while ramage gets that tune up match he wanted. the chuck v. page.
keith-hackney1
3/4/07 7:44:42PM

Posted by hathcock32

Who deserves the Number 1 contender??

Lambert With this win, in theory lambert should be in the top 5 LHW's as babalu lost to chuck, Babalu still in top 5 after loss, then gets beat by lambert. But i know thats not the way it works in real life, so, How about lambert vs evans 2 then the winner gets a shot a the title. Rashad needs to stop fighting the newcomers and prove he's a future champ, with lamberts win over sobral, that rockets his capacity of a fighter right up in the top 5. Maybe have tito vs lambert and rashad vs rampage then the two winners fight, then winner gets to fight chuck for the title.
madmarck
3/4/07 9:25:43PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Posted by hathcock32

Who deserves the Number 1 contender??

Lambert With this win, in theory lambert should be in the top 5 LHW's as babalu lost to chuck, Babalu still in top 5 after loss, then gets beat by lambert. But i know thats not the way it works in real life, so, How about lambert vs evans 2 then the winner gets a shot a the title. Rashad needs to stop fighting the newcomers and prove he's a future champ, with lamberts win over sobral, that rockets his capacity of a fighter right up in the top 5. Maybe have tito vs lambert and rashad vs rampage then the two winners fight, then winner gets to fight chuck for the title.

Maybe we should give it to Keith Hackney and see if he punches Chucks nutz in.
joesmouta
3/5/07 7:39:20AM
In my opinion, Rashad has to be the next in line. Here is my reasoning:
1- He is undefeated
2- As the level of competition has increased, so has his level of performance (two knock-outs in his last two fights)
3- He KO'd Lambert...who just KO'd Sobral (no one else has been able to beat Sobral, except Liddel, in years)
4- Forrest shouldn't even be on the list...KO'd by Jardine...so Jardine is definitely ahead of him!
5- Jardine lost to Stephan Bonnar...enough said (admittedly a questionable decision though)
6- We have not seen much of Rampage

Big problem with my synopsis:
If Rampage has one good outing against one top-level opponent in the UFC, he moves into number one easily.

Fact is, the only way we know for sure is to have Jardine and Rampage fight. One will be exposed as inferior, and one will take the number one contender spot.
joesmouta
3/5/07 10:41:15AM

Posted by MMA

Psh, like Lambert is even going to defeat Sobral.

Ouch! I guess no one saw that one coming. Lambert Knocked Sobral The FO!!!
madmarck
3/5/07 12:41:01PM

Posted by joesmouta

Posted by MMA

Psh, like Lambert is even going to defeat Sobral.

Ouch! I guess no one saw that one coming. Lambert Knocked Sobral The FO!!!

He also almost got Choked TFO. So it was a close fight.
mkiv9secsupra
3/5/07 5:44:26PM
i think rashad should get the shot just to end his completely overrated undefeated record.he hasnt fought anyone of worth! rampage just doesnt have a chance. liddell wasnt half the fighter when jackson beat him, and after rampage "found god" he just hasnt been the same and his fight against marvin eastman prooves that he just isnt the best. jardine makes the most since even tho he still has no chance. the only fighters that can beat Liddell have to be great strikers. Jackson, Evans, and Jardine are wrestlers with mediocre striking ability.
madmarck
3/5/07 6:53:10PM
I havent seen Jardine use his wrestlign yet. So it seems to me that Keiths medicore striking is better than most LHW's.
chop-socky-flix
3/6/07 8:04:39AM
It would be unfair on rampage to make him fight for the title now. He hasnt had this level of competition for a while and you kind of get the feeling he is not ready yet. 2 years ago he may have beaten chuck again but not right now.

Jardine is the one who has earned his shot on paper, even though he does not appear to be in the same league as chuck / primo rampage.
joesmouta
3/6/07 8:38:35AM
UFC 71 in May
Chuck vs Rampage
Karo Parisyan vs Josh Burkman
Tito vs Jardine
Chris Leben vs Kalib Starnes
So we can stop all of the guessing now. Whether you agree with the selection or not...it will be a good card.

Source was MMA Weekly's Rumor link. So take it for what it's worth.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5