Who deserves to be cut by the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who deserves to be cut by the UFC?
« Previous Page
ricoj3323
5/5/08 11:39:20PM
Din Thomas, Kuniyoshi Hironaka, and Tommy Speer recently got cut but its no surprise or shock because the ufc is doing the right thing and cutting of loose ends. Speer needs to go develop,Kuniyoshi Hironaka just couldnt cut it and thomas wants to go to a lighter weight so its not that big of deal. Great cuts ufc and keep being smart with your cuts
Svartorm
5/6/08 5:28:09AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I don't want this to come off as fighter bashing... But I would have to say Jorge Gurgel... I just can't stand the guy, and his fights seem to be either lopsided losses or dull decisions... I assume he's a great JJ instructor, but just doesn't seem to be cut out for fighting int he UFC

I think the reason Gurgel stays is because he trains so many dudes that the UFC wants to keep. I don't think hes a bad fighter, but watching his groundgame, it doesn't seem like he can make the switch between sub grappling and MMA. At one point in the Robinson fight, he actually jumped out of a dominate position to a lesser position, and then back. That scores you points in sub grappling, but does nothing for you in MMA other than risking you losing your position. Hes a great positional grappler with little stand-up and weak sub skills in a crazy stacked division. I think he makes a good doorman for the division though. If you lose to him, seek employment elsewhere.

As for the whole idea of cutting your roster, it makes sense to trim the fat, but I don't think going on wins and loses makes sense. Plenty of guys win and put on horrible fights, and plenty of guys lose and have phenominal battles. The Rollins vs. Warmachine fight being a prime example of this. It would have been absolutely criminal for either of those guys to be given the boot after that battle, and there are dudes that I could watch lose ten times in a row and never feel like I wasted money on a PPV they were a part of.
JBatch
5/6/08 1:48:34PM

Posted by Svartorm

As for the whole idea of cutting your roster, it makes sense to trim the fat, but I don't think going on wins and loses makes sense. Plenty of guys win and put on horrible fights, and plenty of guys lose and have phenominal battles. The Rollins vs. Warmachine fight being a prime example of this. It would have been absolutely criminal for either of those guys to be given the boot after that battle, and there are dudes that I could watch lose ten times in a row and never feel like I wasted money on a PPV they were a part of.

I am in total agreement with to a certain extent. If I were Dana I would never cut a guy who throws it all on theline trying to finish a fight and gets caught. And personally I would not cut a guy like Bocek who left it all in the octagon. Yet when it happens 3 times in a row its time to say go hone your skills at another org and there will be a place for you when you get back on track, which they do for exciting or high potential fighters.

Along those lines out of all the recent cuts who do you think could be brought back in the future????
bls1919
5/6/08 10:35:57PM
If he isnt already gone i will say Alessio Sakara
Pages: 1 [2]