Less Deserved Title shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Less Deserved Title shot
POLL: Who
Sonnen 74% (34)
Diaz 26% (12)
40ouncetofreedom
12/7/12 11:41:42AM
Sonnen or Diaz ? Both coming off losses and Chael's being in a different weight class.What your opinion?

Lately doesn't seem to be much logic behind title shots....But regardless both of these fights are fights i'm excited to watch even if i disagree with them.
cowcatcher
12/7/12 11:49:40AM
You said the reason it's Chael in your post. He's moving to a different weight class, at least Diaz was in the title picture at 170 before the loss to Condit.

I will say that I'm looking forward to both fights though.
ThaAxeMurderer7
12/7/12 11:54:52AM
I guess if you had to pick one, it would be Chael. After all, this will be his first fight back at LHW in years.

Not to just go off on a mini rant here, but I've given up on the whole system of earning a title shot. Clearly, it's not the way things work anymore. The UFC is in the business of promoting fights AND making money. I get it but I don't like it. No longer do the terms "number one contender" or "next in line" mean anything. Mini rant over.
SmileR
12/7/12 12:21:48PM
I'd say Diaz deserves it less. He's coming off a loss to the guy the champ just beat. He's been "retired" for almost a year and is coming off a suspension from the commission.
Sonnen on the other hand is stepping up a weight class to fight a champion everyone else in his weight class has turned down. I have no problem with Sonnen getting a title shot because he stepped up when others wouldn't.

Diaz on the other hand is getting a title shot because he'll bring in more money and he's gotten under the skin of GSP. Hendricks should be fighting for the title but I don't begrudge GSP wanting Diaz after everything he's hear his saying.
jjeans
12/7/12 12:52:39PM
For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls but I picked Sonnen purely because of the weight class change,
tcunningham
12/7/12 1:05:38PM
i went with diaz just because of the fact that his last loss was not to the real WW champ and then he decided to act childish and "Retire" like he doesnt need any of this fighting stuff. the only real reason he's getting the shot seems to be because thats whats GSP wanted where as sonnen got his shot because the fans wanted to see it above everything.
40ouncetofreedom
12/7/12 1:24:07PM

Posted by cowcatcher

You said the reason it's Chael in your post. He's moving to a different weight class, at least Diaz was in the title picture at 170 before the loss to Condit.

I will say that I'm looking forward to both fights though.

I did vote Sonnen, But as someone else already said Diaz is coming off a suspension and a"retirement".I think both guys are quality fights and i'm not complaining about watching the fights.But i feel there is strong cases against both guys.

In Diaz's case its almost like me failing a piss test and then telling my boss i'm taking a leave for awhile and then come back and receive a big promotion..lol...

It makes sense $$ wise and to interest some fans.But skipping Hendricks is a dick move IMO and not having a clear #1LHW is a bit lame too.Chael talked his way into this..And props to him for stepping up when Hendo got hurt.But still unwarranted.But oh well it'll be good Tv.But Chael losing at 185 and then moving up and getting an immediate shot is why i voted my way.
LuckyCharms
12/7/12 1:35:41PM

Posted by SmileR

I'd say Diaz deserves it less. He's coming off a loss to the guy the champ just beat. He's been "retired" for almost a year and is coming off a suspension from the commission.
Sonnen on the other hand is stepping up a weight class to fight a champion everyone else in his weight class has turned down. I have no problem with Sonnen getting a title shot because he stepped up when others wouldn't.

Diaz on the other hand is getting a title shot because he'll bring in more money and he's gotten under the skin of GSP. Hendricks should be fighting for the title but I don't begrudge GSP wanting Diaz after everything he's hear his saying.

airkerma
12/7/12 1:51:25PM
I went with Sonnen due to the weight change and that after tomorrow there will be a #1 contender for LHW, unless DFW decides again to push against the actual sport in favor of lining his pockets. I'm still lividly butthurt about the Diaz title shot. I'm not sure in what universe it makes sense, but it certainly substantiates the need for DFW to step aside in the interest of the sport.
FastKnockout
12/7/12 3:07:46PM
Sonnen since he hasn't fought in the division for years.
kingsmasher
12/7/12 4:31:30PM

Posted by jjeans

For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls but I picked Sonnen purely because of the weight class change,

You would have to put Edgar on the polls? When the majority actually thought he beat Henderson. Edgar should get an immediate title shot especially since hes moving down and everyone else with a decent record just had a title shot in the division....Is there a better fighter in the division or someone more deserving to face Edgar?

The other divisions there are clearly better fights.

Chael Sonnen is the joke here..He lost his last two tries and one he was on drugs...Hes beat nobody in the division. Moving up you should prove yourself first moving down not so much...
sbulldavid
12/7/12 4:31:35PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Sonnen since he hasn't fought in the division for years.

Vitor could also be up there but I'm okay with good matchmaking verses MMAth as long as the real number one contenders get their shots as well.
prozacnation1978
12/7/12 6:59:51PM
sad that 3 guys coming off losses sonnen diaz and edgar get title shots
the title championship is way under value now
Copenhagen
12/8/12 3:52:54AM
I went with Diaz since there is an absolute de facto number one contender (Hendricks) in that weight class who is getting stepped over. Dan Henderson isn't getting screwed over nearly as bad.
JLS1980
12/8/12 8:42:05AM
I voted for Sonnen. It was tough because I like the arguments on both sides. A lot of valid points.
I think they are both undeserving but I'm also looking forward to both fights.
With Jones and Sonnen on TUF 17 and airing on a new night that should/could make things interesting and Nick Diaz was suppose to get the Title shot a while back. And even though he lost to Condit (for the interim belt) it was a very close fight and a lot of people think Nick Diaz won. But that's a whole other story.
jjeans
12/8/12 10:11:38AM

Posted by kingsmasher

Posted by jjeans

You would have to put Edgar on the polls? When the majority actually thought he beat Henderson. Edgar should get an immediate title shot especially since hes moving down and everyone else with a decent record just had a title shot in the division....Is there a better fighter in the division or someone more deserving to face Edgar?

The other divisions there are clearly better fights.

Chael Sonnen is the joke here..He lost his last two tries and one he was on drugs...Hes beat nobody in the division. Moving up you should prove yourself first moving down not so much...

Swanson has a pretty decent record, so does Koch, so does Siver, so does KZ. I never said there was a better fighter.

Sonnens beaten nobody in the division? I think he has infact he started his career in the LHW division, he won the Gladiator Challenge Light Heavyweight Championship, DangerZone Light Heavyweight Championship and the Hitman Light Heavyweight Championship. He hasn't won any championships in the middleweight division.

Edgar is walking into a brand new division on the back of 2 losses. I don't care what the "majority thought" the majority of the people who counted, scored it to Bendo.

I am not stating that I would have picked Edgar just the question and the reasoning for the Diaz and Sonnen being picked was
"Sonnen or Diaz ? Both coming off losses and Chael's being in a different weight class.What your opinion?"

Edgar is coming off more than 1 loss and he's entering a new division. So it seemed justified to say "For the sake of argument I also would have put Edgar on the polls"
Lungsofsteel
12/8/12 11:11:20AM
sonnen just for the fact he's coming off a convincing loss and diaz is coming off a highly controversial loss
jay98107
12/9/12 5:57:11PM
Sonnen because of the reason you mentioned, as well as the fact that GSP now wants to fight Diaz because of the trash talking. For some reason, I find more legitimacy in a champion wanting to fight a guy than the brass wanting a good coach for TUF. Admittedly this leaves the door open for a champion hand picking opponents, but in Diaz's case I don't think anybody thinks that GSP wants to fight him because he's an easy opponent.
BuffaloDave
12/9/12 9:08:11PM
Since the Chael/Andy 1, Chael then went on to beat Stann (Who I think gets to much love in the MW ranks), then the close fight Bisping, who quite a few thought Bisping actually won, finally Chael/Andee 2 which was a much more convincing loss than the 1st fight. Chael then says he is moving up to LHW. Says he would step in to fight, Jones, 8 days before the event was supposed to happen due to the Hendo injury, Jones declines, Which I don't blame him since, Sonnen and Hendo are to different styles. Uncle Dana then gives Chael the title shot because Chael was willing to take the fight on a short notice.

Diaz came from SF, after a nice run there, even though it wasn't the same comp. as there is in the UFC, not his fault though, he beat most of those guys rather convincingly, came to the UFC, was supposed to fight GSP, but had it canceled due to him, not showing up at the pressers, took the BJ fight, beat BJ, fought Condit for the interim, when GSP went down, lost a very close fight, much closer than Sonnen/Bisping. Followed by a failed drug test for weed, semi-retirement, has some words for GSP after the GSP/Condit fight, gets GSP wanting to fight him again.

Still down to see both fights though, even though I don't agree with both getting the title shots at this moment. It makes sense to keep Jones busy, while we wait for a more definitive number 1 contender, while Hendo isn't still 100% yet. He basically got screwed over like Hendricks. Diaz/GSP is being made because Dana says GSP doesn't ask for much, and asked for Diaz. Okay I can see that, but it sucks when there is a guy like Hendricks who put together a nice resume to earn a title the right way.
thevoodooninja
12/10/12 8:33:19AM
Neither one earned or deserves a title shot
prozacnation1978
12/14/12 9:10:52PM
Years back arlovski fought Justin eilers in a title fight
I thought that was bullshit

Both sonnen and Diaz coming off losses getting title shots
Is a joke.

Less deserved has to go to sonnen
At least Diaz was strikeforces champion