Denis Kang's first UFC fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Denis Kang's first UFC fight?
Next Page »
POLL: first fight?
Chris Leben 9% (7)
Alessio Sakara 14% (10)
Martin Kampmann 22% (16)
Alan Belcher 18% (13)
Kendall Grove 34% (25)
Jorge Rivera 4% (3)
mentalcase
11/3/08 3:31:37PM
Canadian middleweight Denis Kang has confirmed to Sherdog.com that he has signed a four-fight contract with the UFC.
juanez13
11/3/08 3:47:02PM
Alan Belcher would be good, same with Rivera. Both would be good first fights for Kang.

Kampman is supposed to be going down to WW, so i dont think he can be considered as an opponent.
mkiv9secsupra
11/3/08 3:55:43PM
Give him a guy who can keep it exciting and show off his skillset while getting him a win for name recognition......Alessio Sakara or Ed Herman

Then give him Palhares or Maia followed by Leben or Bisping then Title shot.
ncordless
11/3/08 3:56:34PM
Leben would be a good place to start. If he can't get past him then we know where his career goes (gatekeeper or contender).
wiggum
11/3/08 3:57:00PM
i see them placing him up against someone he can showcase his talents against.....leben would be a good match up, i think he could pick him apart and maybe even submit him, unless of course he hits that "button" on lebens chin that makes him go wild......sakara, i used to be suprised that he was still in the ufc, but man does he make other peoples highlight reels....i think that would be a good boxing bout, sakara gets ko'd.....kampmann would be interesting, if he stayed at mw...but his name isnt big enought to showcase kang.....grove, no...i cant stand watching grove and i like kang, so i dont want to forced to watch grove....i think kang would ko him tho....rivera would be a good matchup, i think it would be an easy submission win.....belcher would be awesome....id love to see that, exciting fight potonetially...i think on the feet they are equal and on the ground, i think that belcher is good enough to hang with kang for awhile atleast....my choice would be belcher or leben...that being said, i think its awesome he's finally arrived, i think his potential is thru the roof, yet he has a tuff time getting over that hump...i think he will be better in the cage than ring, just a feeling
GrizzlyChadams
11/3/08 3:59:32PM
I'd say Kendall, it's been a while since he's fought and is known by fans which should give Kang a boost in popularity when he beats him.
RhythmAndStyle
11/3/08 4:20:45PM
they should give Kang for his first fight K. Grove...
juanez13
11/3/08 4:29:23PM

Posted by ncordless

Leben would be a good place to start. If he can't get past him then we know where his career goes (gatekeeper or contender).

Leben is out for 9 months because of a steroid suspension, so that match up is no longer possible. Although i agree Leben would be a good fight to determine where he stands in the UFC's middleweight division, shame it cant happen now, or at least for a while.
MMAcca
11/3/08 4:36:58PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Could be a good fight for both.

A good showing for Kendall could prolong his ailing UFC career by a fight or two
Wallass
11/3/08 4:38:15PM
I'd say Kendall, it's been a while since he's fought and is known by fans which should give Kang a boost in popularity when he beats him.

Totally agree. Maybe that would be the end of Kendall in UFC too.
DCRage
11/3/08 4:52:34PM
If Cote doesn't get the immediate Silva rematch, I could see it being him or perhaps the Okami-Lister loser. The odds are pretty high in my eyes that he'll get a big name first, or at least a mid-PPV guy (who would usually be roughly in the 3rd fight of a 5-fight show).
postman
11/3/08 5:32:54PM
I don't really care i'm just gald to see him in the UFC!
nickcuc547
11/3/08 5:42:39PM
To be completely honest with you, alan belcher was the first name that came to mind for his first fight. He, Kendall Grove or Ed Herman, three even fighters in the middle of the division.
Wolfenstein
11/3/08 5:48:44PM
Are you kidding me? Woohoo! I'm pumped to have Kang in the UFC, I just never thought it would happen. I think he's an instant contender at MW.

I'd like to see him fight Leben or Belcher. He'll knock either guy out in exciting fashion.
copcopps
11/3/08 7:36:59PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

Yeah I'll love to see Kang beat him, or get a +2 bonus
Twenty20Dollars
11/3/08 8:28:05PM
give him alan belcher, even though belcher didnt look impressive against herman.

But maybe Kang can get a hi-light finish on him.
Aaronno9
11/3/08 8:36:15PM
Id like to see him fight Kampmann. Would be a good fight.
higdon10
11/3/08 8:58:10PM
I like the potential Belcher match up.
cmill21
11/3/08 9:20:08PM
I'd like to see him KO Kendall.
gartface
11/3/08 9:46:47PM
Drew McFedries if he isn't out of the UFC by the time Kang has his first fight. Does anyone know the status of McFedries' contract?
Pitbull09
11/3/08 10:38:49PM
Kendell Grove. I think he can win it.

If I could chose though I would say Okami so he could cut line for a title shot. I have been waiting a year for the UFC to sign this guy. He couldve fought Anderson by now but he had to keep losing in Japan. Fool

The MW division is only going to get better from scouting. There isnt enough talent in the division to challenge the top 3 (Anderson, Henderson, and Franklin)
MMA
11/3/08 10:57:31PM
Kang hasn't looked too great recently. If they want to build him up, they'll probably want to give him a can.

A fair fight for him to take would be Sakara or Grove. Pretty well-know in the UFC but neither guys should pose any real threats to Kang on paper.
gartface
11/4/08 12:40:02AM

Posted by MMA

Kang hasn't looked too great recently. If they want to build him up, they'll probably want to give him a can.

A fair fight for him to take would be Sakara or Grove. Pretty well-know in the UFC but neither guys should pose any real threats to Kang on paper.

Umm...he's coming off two knock outs in a few month span. Both first round KOs might I add. I'm hoping he's focused now after his wife's death, but I don't think anyone can blame him if he isn't.

I'm hoping for big things in the future out of the guy.
Aaronno9
11/4/08 9:45:01AM

Posted by gartface

Posted by MMA

Umm...he's coming off two knock outs in a few month span. Both first round KOs might I add. I'm hoping he's focused now after his wife's death, but I don't think anyone can blame him if he isn't.

Yeah, but hes 3-3 in his last 6, the 3 wins coming against relative cans, and the three losses coming everytime he steps it up.

Kangs overrated imo. But he has an exciting style and hes fun to watch, so hes a welcome addition to the ufc for me.
Rush
11/4/08 10:56:31AM

Posted by postman

I don't really care i'm just gald to see him in the UFC!

\
Me too
gartface
11/4/08 10:59:16AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by gartface

Posted by MMA

Yeah, but hes 3-3 in his last 6, the 3 wins coming against relative cans, and the three losses coming everytime he steps it up.

Kangs overrated imo. But he has an exciting style and hes fun to watch, so hes a welcome addition to the ufc for me.

His list of losses post 2002 are quite reasonable, and his last three losses are to three great middleweights (Misaki, Akiyama, and Mousasi). I can't blame him for any of those.
RhythmAndStyle
11/4/08 12:22:36PM
His list of losses post 2002 are quite reasonable, and his last three losses are to three great middleweights (Misaki, Akiyama, and Mousasi). I can't blame him for any of those.

yea but his last three wins were over no namers and cans..u can't give him credit for that...
pv3Hpv3p
11/4/08 1:35:58PM
I think Kang beats Grove and could use the instant name recognition of defeating a well known TUF champ... And otherwise if he loses, Grove could re-emerge as a player in the weightclass (untill someone catches him on the chin that is )
gartface
11/4/08 2:03:59PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

yea but his last three wins were over no namers and cans..u can't give him credit for that...

Not sure I'd consider Marvin Eastman a complete can. He has some pretty impressive wins and also has lost to a pretty nice list of fighters.
I'm expecting good things from Kang. I hope I'm not wrong.
Bowen50
11/4/08 2:05:16PM
i think his first fight should be against Sakara or Grove
Pages: [1] 2