Demian Maia vs Jason MacDonald UFC 87 fight scheduled (Exclusive)

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Demian Maia vs Jason MacDonald UFC 87 fight scheduled (Exclusive)
juanez13
5/20/08 11:48:43AM
Brazilian jiu-jitsu stud, Demian Maia (7-0), will look for his third straight “Submission of the Night” when he takes on Jason MacDonald (20-9) in a middleweight bout at UFC 87: “Seek and Destroy” at the Target Center in Minneapolis, Minn., on August 9.

LINK
wrona666
5/20/08 12:17:38PM
I see Maia finishing Macdonald in the first by SUB.......
xxdeadpoolxx
5/20/08 12:25:03PM
They really like putting him in there with other grapplers looks like they are trying to build this guy up. I hope he fights a striker next fight
bustin_mma
5/20/08 12:25:08PM
yeah this is a really bad match up for macdonald, i dont see him winning this one, to bad to, just started to work his way back up
Livershot
5/20/08 12:28:36PM

Posted by wrona666

I see Maia finishing Macdonald in the first by SUB.......

Agreed, MacDonald's BJJ is good but not at the same level as Maia
Twenty20Dollars
5/20/08 12:42:02PM
Yeah im taking Maia to win, but macdonald is going to need a good game plan which is probably keep the distance and strike from the outside and try to win this on his feet. but i dont think that will happen. Maia sub Rnd 2
rabbit915
5/20/08 12:42:37PM
Yeah but MacDonald got some stand-up power too. Im going to pick Maia but Macdonald definately has a shot. I think if Maia wins this one, he moves into serious title shot talks. I would put him at 1 or 2 fights away from getting it depending on who is in line in front of him.
CantAndleDaRiddum
5/20/08 1:30:40PM

Posted by bustin_mma

yeah this is a really bad match up for macdonald, i dont see him winning this one, to bad to, just started to work his way back up

this does suck for him, but should be a hell of a fifhgt
candynuts
5/20/08 1:35:31PM
Ill take MacDonald because someone has to, right?
Im still not too sure on Maia's standup and to a point his gastank. But then again, I could be saying this to try to talk myself into picking him if he has the underdog bonus...
Darnok
5/20/08 2:29:25PM
If Mac gets the underdog bonus I am picking him for sure, just cause he has the heart to pull this one off.
nickcuc547
5/20/08 2:56:35PM
i may have to take j mac in this one, the guy is not only slick and talented but a very intelligent fighter. plus he is the bigger and stronger of the two.
tuvok500
5/20/08 3:15:52PM
At UFC 83 Maia did a great job but he was very tired after the first rd.
He is aware that McDonald have a very good conditioning and will probably work on that problem.

I see Maia winning by rd 2 SUB but if it pass the rd 2 i think Jason can finish Maia because of the possible conditioning problem of Maia.

PaleHorse
5/20/08 3:26:14PM

Posted by nickcuc547

i may have to take j mac in this one, the guy is not only slick and talented but a very intelligent fighter. plus he is the bigger and stronger of the two.

Gonzaga was bigger than Maia, that didn't stop Maia from trashing him in BJJ.
GSPCanada
5/20/08 3:28:50PM
I like Mcdonald but the guy has terrible stand up this is a brutal matchup for him this fights going to end up on the ground his only chance is how well he can pass the guard of Maia but hopefully he improves his striking
juanez13
5/20/08 4:55:54PM
`Maia seems to be the favourite, but i dont know for sure, Jason has pretty good BJJ so he might be able to stay away from subs, in which case i could defenately see him winning a decision, if its on the ground Jason will probably be on top, and the cardio/stand up/wrestling all i give to macdonald. Hoping maia wins this but i dont think it'll be an easy match for him.
whardin19
5/20/08 7:25:50PM
I have been really impressed with Maia so far. I think MacDonald is in some serious trouble. I've heard MacDonald complain that he hasn't been getting good competition lately. Well here you go Jason. Lets see what you do with this chance. Because last time you fought a good fighter (Rich Franklin) he whipped you. MacDonalds best chance is to keep this fight standing.
prozacnation1978
5/20/08 8:34:12PM
this better make the main card, i wanna see that cat fight on a main card and choke out mcdonald
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
5/20/08 8:49:08PM
I'm Taking Macdonald in this one maybe by decision and not just cause I'm Canadian haha.
I see Mac being the aggressor if it goes all 3 Mac for sure. and if not I'm still going for macdonald anyway.
bigbubbano23
5/20/08 9:26:37PM
i think this will be fight of the night not sub of the night. it's uh gonna be good
NatedawgThaM
5/20/08 9:30:47PM
Macdonald is going to get absolutely destroyed! His striking isn't nothing great and he's not near strong enough and his wrestling isn't good enough to LNP Maia. He's the same exact fighter except he's not even in the same league as Maia in grappling terms.

Maia late 1st round sub...
MMAcca
5/21/08 12:22:00AM
Maia should take this by sub in the 1st, possibly very early in the 2nd imo.

After that maia must fight a couple of talented strikers (Bisping, Leben, Cote) to keep progressing in the division......
EON
5/21/08 3:18:12AM
Maia by flying scissor heel hook
CornishMMA
5/21/08 6:50:00AM

Posted by MMAcca

After that maia must fight a couple of talented strikers (Bisping, Leben, Cote) to keep progressing in the division......

i think the "couple" are Leben and Cote then that was a joke!
the same goes for alot in that division as you have good BJJ guys like him, Leites and Almeida but they need to be thrust into contention, subbing Bisping would do that sorry overly patriotic uk bisping fans but i see those 3 BJJ guys definately beating him if they fight soon

Dunno who the UFC would prefer as a contender tho? Maia or Leites or Almeida? Think Big Dog will be there 1st if he beats Cote

Maia 2nd rd Sub methinks
MMAcca
5/21/08 1:18:15PM

Posted by CornishMMA

subbing Bisping would do that sorry overly patriotic uk bisping fans but i see those 3 BJJ guys definately beating him if they fight soon

I most definately agree. So much so, i think if any of them did beat Bisping i think they would be granted a title shot