Demian Maia would like to fight Jon Fitch or Nick Diaz

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Demian Maia would like to fight Jon Fitch or Nick Diaz
Budgellism
10/19/12 8:01:55PM
"I think Nick Diaz and Jon Fitch that opponents would surely have much name this division and I would climb fast. The others, I think they are marked with struggles, but these two guys are certainly very tough and they would have proved much I climb in the division.

I think the two have much jiu-jitsu. Both with Nick as with Fitch. Both are good with that, just that I feel more focused on the Fitch's wrestling than with his jiu-jitsu, and Nick is a guy more with boxing than jiu-jitsu."

LINK
Poor_Franklin
10/19/12 8:10:08PM
i kind of thought Maia shouldve been the one fighting Fitch at 153 & Erick Silva fighting Story instead of the matchups we had. sounds good to me, especially since most folks dont ask for jon fitch.
BuffaloDave
10/19/12 8:11:42PM
I would be fine with either one, but would rather see him fight Fitch. Fitch would have to even be busier on he ground with Maia than he was with Silva.
Bubbles
10/19/12 8:20:59PM
this could be Diaz's fight to win to get the next title shot. Either way though I'd love to see either match
kopower
10/19/12 8:27:29PM
Agree with everybody here. Either one is enticing to me.
Budgellism
10/19/12 8:30:51PM
Agreed. Both of these fights seem good to me.
shaneTpain
10/19/12 9:11:01PM
Maia vs Fitch preferably
infestructure
10/19/12 9:23:54PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

i kind of thought Maia shouldve been the one fighting Fitch at 153 & Erick Silva fighting Story instead of the matchups we had. sounds good to me, especially since most folks dont ask for jon fitch.

Fucken ay. Too right

thevoodooninja
10/19/12 9:27:53PM
book it dano
Twenty20Dollars
10/19/12 9:31:23PM
Maia with his good submissions against Fitch and his good sub defense.
prozacnation1978
10/19/12 10:14:09PM
I think maia vs Fitch should happen
Winner faces Diaz
sparky
10/20/12 1:19:40AM
Go big or go home is Maia's moto. Props to him for wanting a top ranked guy. I hope the UFC gives him what he wants. Both make for interesting match ups and if Maia wins that says a lot about where he sits in the welter weight division.
blondais
10/20/12 1:38:48AM
Koshchek would be fine too...
ghandikush
10/20/12 2:13:08AM
Maia Fitch would be the grappling fight of the year.
UFC_Fanatic
10/20/12 2:45:05AM
I love the idea of Fitch vs Maia. For the love of all things holy book this fight dana!
This match up excites me, and I'm not much of one to get excited for Fitch's fights. That I can recall off the top of my head I've only be excited for 3 of Fitch's fights; vs Sanchez, vs GSP, and vs Silva. I believe that it takes a certain type of match up/fighter to really bring out the best and the most exciting parts of Fitch, and I think Maia fits the bill, especially in the grappling department. Fitch has amazing sub defense, but can he fend off the high level jj of Demian Maia? I don't want this to end like that god damn tootsie pop commercial where it tells you the world may never know. I want answers dammit!
Bythar
10/20/12 6:48:15AM
Fitch and Maia is very interesting to me. Fitch has escaped from all kinds of submissions most would tap to. In particular, he is really hard to choke. The interesting thing for me is, if the choke is applied by Maia, will he be able to escape?

However, with Fitch's wrestling, it seems likely he'll try to keep it standing. He'll fight smart. With Nick Diaz though, I think we could see a real ground battle. I prefer that fight.

Maia has been on a tear since the drop, hopefully he'll get booked the big fight.
TeamDEY
10/20/12 11:18:24AM
Both make interesting fights... i think Maia would lose to either one
warglory
10/20/12 11:32:00AM

Posted by TeamDEY

Both make interesting fights... i think Maia would lose to either one

If Maia boxes with Nick, he is going down, but if it hits the floor, I think Nick will meet his match in the jits dept for sure.
Manak
10/20/12 1:32:07PM
grappling heaven is what both these fights would produce. it would really showcase the ground game at a very high level. it will be high paced and have such integral moves that I feel they should put on fox to really show what the ground game is capable of producing
BeeR
10/20/12 1:39:29PM
props to Maia
bjj1605
10/20/12 4:03:46PM

Posted by Bythar

Fitch and Maia is very interesting to me. Fitch has escaped from all kinds of submissions most would tap to. In particular, he is really hard to choke. The interesting thing for me is, if the choke is applied by Maia, will he be able to escape?

However, with Fitch's wrestling, it seems likely he'll try to keep it standing. He'll fight smart. With Nick Diaz though, I think we could see a real ground battle. I prefer that fight.

Maia has been on a tear since the drop, hopefully he'll get booked the big fight.

There is absolutely no way that Fitch would be able to ride out a choke from Demian Maia. What he did against Erick Silva was impressive, but it had a lot to do with technical mistakes made by Silva.

Not only does Maia have perfect technique, he has an absurd squeeze. Ask Rick Story how good Maia's squeeze is.

It's really hard to understand unless you've had a chance to roll with a guy like that (I've gotten to roll with Pedro Sauer and Marcello Garcia on occasion) but they really are different animals than the rest of us. Guys who have spent thousands and thousands of ours on the mat practicing that squeezing motion...there's no substitute in weight lifting.
jae_1833
10/20/12 7:05:21PM
I would love to see Maia vs Fitch so that I could see Diaz vz: Ellenberger, Koscheck or Hendricks.