Demian Maia eyes Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine for next fight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Demian Maia eyes Strikeforce welterweight champion Tarec Saffiedine for next fight
FastKnockout
2/13/13 11:26:39AM
Only two weeks out from his dominant decision over Jon Fitch at UFC 156, Demian Maia already knows who he wants to fight next.

Link
sparky
2/13/13 11:32:13AM
Good fight I see Maia winning the decision. Personally I think his ground game will be to much Saffiedine
BillsNewAccount
2/13/13 12:01:34PM
Dang, I was hoping they'd give Sponge another striker. I was hoping for Alves, Diego or Kampmann.
sparky
2/13/13 12:25:26PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Dang, I was hoping they'd give Sponge another striker. I was hoping for Alves, Diego or Kampmann.

Diego???

If your talking Sanchez he has dropped back to LW and I personally wouldnt call him a striker.
Bubbles
2/13/13 12:35:25PM
well virtually every fight is a step down from Fitch, but if blitzing Maia shows up again, this could be another win.
BillsNewAccount
2/13/13 12:37:38PM

Posted by sparky

Diego???

If your talking Sanchez he has dropped back to LW and I personally wouldnt call him a striker.

Didn't realize he dropped and you're right he shouldn't be considered a striker. The point I failed to make is that I'd like Sponge to be matched with an exciting fighter. I got a bad feeling the UFC is going to feed SF to grinders. They already told Lawler to drop down in weight to fight Kos.
bjj1605
2/13/13 12:56:26PM
How the hell is Demian Maia a grinder?

His ground game is the most exciting in the UFC.
prozacnation1978
2/13/13 1:45:37PM
Tarec ain't no Fitch
Maia will strangle him out.
Bubbles
2/13/13 1:51:52PM

Posted by bjj1605

it wasn't overly exciting against Fitch like his past fights were. I can only take watching a backpack for so long, but I agree that Maia isn't your typical grinder
JLS1980
2/13/13 2:09:33PM

Posted by sparky

Diego???

Sanchez has Gomi next at LW.

Maia should be able to win this fairly easy. Very impressive against Fitch, a fight I figured would be the exact opposite with Fitch winning 30-27.

But I also thought Nate the Great would be too much for Tarec. And he was very impressive as well. Stuffing takedowns and landing a ton of nasty leg kicks.
Tarec's key to winning would be the same as him against Nate. Keep it standing, avoid the ground, and use those leg kicks.

It would be very hard to pick against Maia at this point. He's at home in the Welterweight Division.
Goatenstein
2/13/13 2:54:41PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by bjj1605

it wasn't overly exciting against Fitch like his past fights were. I can only take watching a backpack for so long, but I agree that Maia isn't your typical grinder

Fitch, while being dominated, still managed to make it a boring fight. Maia wrecking Saffiedine will be much more exciting.
tcunningham
2/13/13 3:50:55PM
i think maia will handle him like he did fitch. if fitch was to fight saffiedine i would probably pick fitch to win. tough fight for tarec on his first fight in the ufc.
jae_1833
2/14/13 12:04:33AM
I like thos match up....striker vs grappler never fails!
BillsNewAccount
2/15/13 12:36:33PM

Posted by bjj1605

8 of his 10 last fights went to a decision. I know he is capable of finishing people with his subs but so is Fitch who is also a grinder.