Demian Maia Didn't Want To Fight Palhares Due To Lack Of Brazilian Middleweights

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Demian Maia Didn't Want To Fight Palhares Due To Lack Of Brazilian Middleweights
FastKnockout
1/19/12 12:42:11PM
When Mark Munoz got injured it forced Michael Bisping into a match with Chael Sonnen and left Demian Maia without an opponent for the UFC on Fox 2 card. The immediate demand from fans was for the UFC to move Rousimar Palhares (who scored a quick win at UFC 142) into a fight with Maia. It turns out that Palhares turned down the short-notice no-rest fight (at least according to Dana White on Twitter) and the promotion settled on giving the fight to Chris Weidman.

For his part, Maia says that he didn't want to fight Palhares. Not because he was afraid, but because he thinks that Brazilian middleweights shouldn't face each other. Via SporTV (translated by Tom Mendes):

"It was rumored (a fight with Palhares), but I thought there would not be any possibilities (of it happening), because he just fought, it doesn't make sense for him to throw himself into another fight right now. "Toquinho" trained a few months for this fight. Just because it was fast doesn't mean there were no wear and tears. But I don't even think about that. To be honest, the Brazilian fans should be more worried about seeing us fighting foreigners. There are (only) a few Brazilian fighters in the division and I think that, aside of the title, since it's Anderson who is the champion, the Brazilians should not face each other."

LINK
cowcatcher
1/19/12 12:53:02PM
Not only should guys from the same camp not have to fight each other but now people from the same country shouldn't either? Yeah that makes sense Demian.
DeadHead988
1/19/12 12:57:55PM
That's terrible logic
Bubbles
1/19/12 1:18:10PM
i understand his view point but i dont agree with it. Should Bocek and Stout never fight because there are so few Canadians in the LW division?

but not wanting to fight Palhares without any rest time i can respect.
Shawn91111
1/19/12 1:20:24PM
Who gives a crap if 2 people from the same nation have to fight each other. If it makes sense, fans have been wanting that match for a long time, then suck it up Maia.
FastKnockout
1/19/12 1:52:41PM
He needs to talk to the two Brazilians who feel the opposite way: Wanderlei and Belfort. They can't wait to get their hands on each other again.
State_Champ
1/19/12 1:57:18PM
ugh.
ryu99
1/19/12 2:07:45PM
But it was cool to fight Anderson Siva ? lol
MuayThaiGeek13
1/19/12 2:30:53PM
It's been a minute since I've found a fighter to dislike.
Thanks a lot Maia, for filling that void.

I'm sick of this nationalistic garbage.
Twenty20Dollars
1/19/12 2:37:04PM
I'd rather see them fight each other, but with full camps, not with 10 days notice.
jay98107
1/19/12 2:47:42PM
Anderson, Demian, Vitor, Wanderlei, Santiago, and Palhares are all high to mid level UFC Middleweights. Not to mention Jacare in Strikeforce, who will probably end up in the UFC in the near future. Maia acts like there's none
loonytnt
1/19/12 2:59:51PM
Dont lie Maia...you just didnt wanna get tapped =)
cowcatcher
1/19/12 3:01:13PM

Posted by loonytnt

I can't blame him if that's his reason. I like my legs. I like walking. Paul Harris ruins those things for people.
sbulldavid
1/19/12 3:26:43PM
I don't think Americans should fight each other unless it's for a title or a chance to fight a Canadian
machodog76
1/19/12 3:27:28PM

Posted by loonytnt

yep translation,"I like my knees and I don't want that monster to ruin them."
jay98107
1/19/12 4:00:36PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by loonytnt

I can't blame him if that's his reason. I like my legs. I like walking. Paul Harris ruins those things for people.

Not even a tapout can stop his leglocks!
sbulldavid
1/19/12 4:44:13PM

Not even a tapout can stop his leglocks!

Or a referree
ChokeUout
1/19/12 4:57:55PM
Wasn't Santiago, his last opponent, an Brazilian?

Wasn't it ok to fight Silva when it was for a title?

I'm glad belfort/silva (both of them) didn't feel the same way.

I wonder if a Brazilian who's a non-leg crusher like Belfort wanted to fight if Demian would be ok with it

I love Maia, but this seems like a pansy thing to do
Kpro
1/19/12 5:00:14PM
Maia pussed out. No one wants their ACL shredded by Paul Harris but they'll find another reason to tell the public. I'd turn down any fight with Paul too though, so who am I to judge.
tmas
1/19/12 5:12:40PM
wow never thought Maia would be afraid of paul harris.
Poor_Franklin
1/19/12 5:19:30PM

Posted by tmas

wow never thought Maia would be afraid of paul harris.

me neither. disappointing
Pookie
1/19/12 5:22:24PM
Who cares? People turn down fights all the time for random reasons. He's allowed to have his own.

He picked up a fight that was just as hard IMO.
Poor_Franklin
1/19/12 5:35:43PM

Posted by Pookie

Who cares? People turn down fights all the time for random reasons. He's allowed to have his own.

He picked up a fight that was just as hard IMO.

just as hard & worse for him in the eyes of the public.

if he took palhares, & lost, at least he wouldve lost to someone people had heard of. now if he loses to weidman on national tv, he loses to a guy that nobody will know
Kpro
1/19/12 5:52:50PM
Regardless, to me that's a weak excuse with so many of the top MW's being BRAZILIAN.

Maia reminds me of the "gills" on the back of Kevin Costner's ears in Waterworld, if they bled 3 months out of the year.
Twenty20Dollars
1/19/12 6:29:03PM
Not even the jaws of life can get you off him.
mattjonesy
1/19/12 7:04:12PM
Lets be honest who the hell wants to face paul harris atm?? Maias BJJ is awesome but I dont think he can stop that monster from taking a leg home with him for 3 rounds!
MuayThaiGeek13
1/19/12 9:01:34PM
I don't like this either gents, but its not fair to say he's scared.
bjj1605
1/20/12 12:25:13AM
To be clear, I think this is a dumb statement.

But....

You have to understand Brazilian culture a little bit to understand this comment.

Brazil has been kept down for a long time. Social Scientists (people in my field) have been saying that Brazil will never get out of its rut. Now its one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is predicted to be one of THE world powers over the next century.

They're proud and they don't think they should be fighting among themselves.

I'm being very general of course.
prophecy033
1/21/12 4:48:14PM

Posted by bjj1605

To be clear, I think this is a dumb statement.

But....

You have to understand Brazilian culture a little bit to understand this comment.

Brazil has been kept down for a long time. Social Scientists (people in my field) have been saying that Brazil will never get out of its rut. Now its one of the fastest growing economies in the world and is predicted to be one of THE world powers over the next century.

They're proud and they don't think they should be fighting among themselves.

I'm being very general of course.

there is a long list of Brazilians fighting amongst themselves, Chute Boxe and Brazilian Top Team hated eachother so I don't buy that they don't think they should fight eachother. I mean, have you ever seen old pride dvd's where a chute Boxe guy and a BTT guy fought. No love lost