demian maia vs anderson silva?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » demian maia vs anderson silva?
TheHitmanTL
7/31/08 2:45:25AM
i honestley believe that this is the guy that is an actual contender for andersons mw belt hes got decent standup, good take downs and his jiu jitsu is second to none in mma. im not saying he will beat anderson but we will definetley see if he is able to take a punch when he fights jason macdonald i am definetley looking forward to it.
Mchubb316
7/31/08 2:59:23AM
The only problem is getting hit by McDonald is not the same as being hit by Silva. I don't think Maia is a threat to Anderson at this point, but really no one is.
loller90278
7/31/08 5:22:17AM
to be dead honest i think dan hendo has a GREAT chance of beating him in a rematch. i'd also like to see jacare fight silva
fonduktoe
7/31/08 5:37:09AM
i'll stick to thread theme and say that maia has potential
i'd like to see him in the top tier mix with thales leites, martin kampmann, bisping, etc.
if he can get past anderson's striking (big if) i give him a better chance than any of the aforementioned fighters
MFOTHER
7/31/08 9:48:49AM
i agree. im looking for a dominant victory over jason, who CAN come to fight.
postman
7/31/08 1:01:55PM

Posted by loller90278

to be dead honest i think dan hendo has a GREAT chance of beating him in a rematch. i'd also like to see jacare fight silva

I agree if Dan didn't go for that stupid elbow from the bottom he would have lost the second round and not got choked out we would have had one of the best back and forth fights ever.

I would like to see Cung Le and Anderson. I belive Anderson would win this fight but I think it would still be a great fight to watch.
Taylor8766
7/31/08 1:35:01PM

Posted by postman

Posted by loller90278

I agree if Dan didn't go for that stupid elbow from the bottom he would have lost the second round and not got choked out we would have had one of the best back and forth fights ever.

I would like to see Cung Le and Anderson. I belive Anderson would win this fight but I think it would still be a great fight to watch.

Hendo was rocked a couple of times in that fight with Anderson, and Hendo has an amazing chin, and a good stand-up he KO'd Wandy. Now if you put a guy in there like Maia he may be able to submit Anderson if it goes to the ground(big if), but Maia would get Ko'd fast against Silva it would be another James Irvin experiance.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/31/08 2:31:14PM
demian maia does not have good stand up and anderson wouldn't be stupid enough to go into his guard. ( like ed herman did) Round one KO/TKO for A Silva.
postman
7/31/08 4:22:22PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Posted by postman

Posted by loller90278

Hendo was rocked a couple of times in that fight with Anderson, and Hendo has an amazing chin, and a good stand-up he KO'd Wandy. Now if you put a guy in there like Maia he may be able to submit Anderson if it goes to the ground(big if), but Maia would get Ko'd fast against Silva it would be another James Irvin experiance.

I only rember Dan getting rocked once in the 2nd sure he got hit a few times but that was all only in one exchange then it went to the ground Dan recovered went for a elbow from the bottom and anderson took his back.
pv3Hpv3p
7/31/08 5:28:54PM
I like Maia, but he doesn't have the chin to weather Anderson's standup till he got it to the ground
KYGUY07
7/31/08 6:16:44PM
If it stayed standing anderson would kill him but if maia got him on the ground i think we could possibly see a new MW champion, but i cant see anyone else beating anderson in that divison
gabe531
7/31/08 6:20:17PM
hendo got sub'd by anderson and people were saying that hendo wont be finished. he was rocked. he won rd 1 but didnt do much damage to silva. round 2 was sweet and no matter what anyone says he looked like he gave up. he didnt fight the choke and got tap'd quick.

onto subject. i think maia will have a good shot at silva if he keeps developing as a fighter. right now hes not close to silva standing and his chin hasnt been tested enough. now silva would destroy him but 2 quality fights to boost his confidence and skills i could see him giving anderson a run for his money.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
wiggum
7/31/08 6:55:22PM
i think there are A LOT of other players that stand what we would call a "chance" against silva that are ahead of meia....that guy does have some of the better ju jitsu in the middleweight divison but thats not saying much given his level of competition....i say if he continues this streak for another 3 or 4 fights, and gets a couple more higher caliper fighters, then talk can start about a match up with silva....as i see it ...the list of potential contenders goes

1. cote (oviously since its announced)
2. okami...i dont care if hes boring, silva doesnt have boring fights
3. henderson if he wins next two fights
4. kampmann as long as he gets a couple wins against some bigger names
5. lietes or marquadt......i noticed a lot of rankings out there dropped nate and move d up thailes, but why? he won on points cuz nate made dumb mistakes

and until sivla isnt champ, franklin will never be close
gabe531
7/31/08 7:17:32PM
making dumb mistakes is the reason leites won over nate so thats why hes ranked higher. with what you said you could argue that any fight that went to dec and it dont make much sense to me to be honest. not trying to be a dick but leites got a massive illegal knee that clearly rocked him. people want to complain about the "illegal head shots" that caused a point but nobody wants to bring up nates illegal piledriver that didnt cost him a point. he lost the fight leites won. leites is higher in the rankings
chitown97
7/31/08 10:33:27PM
The big factor for Maia is IF he got it to the ground. However, his striking is nowhere near it needs to be to setup a decent shot on Anderson. It is more likely that the only way Maia will go to the ground is by getting dropped via Silva's straight right, problem is Anderson won't go down there to join him.