Dejected by title loss, Bellator's 'Pitbull' Freire says 135-170 pounds possible

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dejected by title loss, Bellator's 'Pitbull' Freire says 135-170 pounds possible
Budgellism
2/14/13 5:51:12PM
It's been a month since he fought, but Patricio Freire (17-2 MMA, 5-2 UFC) says that's too long.

"From 135 to 170 [pounds] give me the toughest guy available on March 21," the Brazilian recently tweeted to his bosses at Bellator.

Freire said he "did the math" on the time he'd need to cut to 135 pounds and arrived at the March date, which hosts Bellator 93.

"I'm clear-minded and focused," he subsequently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). "I simply wish to keep fighting."

The Season 4 tournament winner clearly wants to erase the memory of his recent title fight with Pat Curran, which ended in a split call for the featherweight champ at this past month's Bellator 85 event. But Freire also remembers the long layoff that preceded his title shot and its negative effect on his performance.

"After my last victory in May of 2011, I underwent hand surgery and ultimately ended up waiting 20 months to face Pat Curran," Freire said. "Ours was a fierce fight. I pushed the pace for all five rounds despite being on the receiving end of some headbutts.

"I pressed the champion, and the result was a split decision. Since I was coming from a period of inactivity, I feel I can do better in a rematch if I could regain my fighting rhythm."

LINK
sparky
2/14/13 6:10:32PM
Dropping to BW is a great idea for Pitbull. I can see him having a lot of success at that weight class
Goatenstein
2/14/13 6:57:28PM
He and his brother should drop a weight class.
postman
2/14/13 8:04:35PM
5-2 in the UFC????
Travesty145
2/14/13 8:20:01PM
hes pretty dope. i likes him
RhythmAndStyle
2/15/13 2:02:45PM

Posted by postman

5-2 in the UFC????

hahaha..good thing i'm not the only one that caught that typo..