Decisions on the rise, BIG TIME........

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Decisions on the rise, BIG TIME........
ufcboss
7/7/08 9:38:52AM
Does anyone think that fight enders like huge KO's and subs are kinda numbered?

Like its nobodys fault but ours really, MMA is huge now and the fighters (Lets just say A grade orgs only) are all so talented that there extremely hard to finish. There will always be KO's and Submissions, But I think decisions are on the rise, BIG TIME!
grappler0000
7/7/08 10:00:53AM
It would sure seem that way if you look at this weekend's event, since almost every main card match went to decision. I would agree that fighters are becoming more difficult to finish as they become more well rounded. With that said, if you take a look at the last 5 events or so, there are 2-3 decisions out of the 10-12 matches on each card...which isn't that high. I just think there were a higher than normal rate of decisions at this past event.

On the flip side, there were several draws/decisions in the UFC in the early days, when you had higher level fighters matched up. So, fighters having a more complete skillset not only helps them from being finished, but gives them the ability to finish a lesser skilled opponent.

I believe it's mostly a matter of how styles match up. Until I see a trend, I think it was an isolated event.
wolfman
7/7/08 10:13:02AM

Posted by grappler0000

It would sure seem that way if you look at this weekend's event, since almost every main card match went to decision. I would agree that fighters are becoming more difficult to finish as they become more well rounded. With that said, if you take a look at the last 5 events or so, there are 2-3 decisions out of the 10-12 matches on each card...which isn't that high. I just think there were a higher than normal rate of decisions at this past event.

On the flip side, there were several draws/decisions in the UFC in the early days, when you had higher level fighters matched up. So, fighters having a more complete skillset not only helps them from being finished, but gives them the ability to finish a lesser skilled opponent.

I believe it's mostly a matter of how styles match up. Until I see a trend, I think it was an isolated event.

Well said, summed up my thoughts exactly. I also think this was an isolated event. The fights were more evenly matched and were more likely to go to a decision as 4 of the 5 main card fights did go to a decision. The next card should have more finishes and maybe 2-3 decisions like grappler0000 mentioned.
pv3Hpv3p
7/7/08 10:30:31AM
It just happens sometimes...

If we can sit around all last year and watch improbable knockout after improbable knockout, they will always be around
juanez13
7/7/08 11:04:43AM
agree with Grappler and Wolf, i saw this more as an isolated event, just looking at the card you could tell there were going to be a few decision-> Koscheck fighting a better striker means he has to go to the ground, Lytle has good D on the bottom so decision is very likely, -> Aurelio is tough and griffin cant finish a fight if his life was on the line, -> if anybody thought Griffin would beat Page, a decision was the way to do it.

although, I think with the Light weights this has become more of a trend, mostly being because this weight class is full of wrestler, and they dont have that big KO power (most of them anyways, some do like Guillard, BJ)
StevenSeagal
7/7/08 11:58:26AM
I think this "trend" or strand of recent events will continue not only to the increasing talent and tough to finish fighters; but also to the rules and the cage setup of American based MMA. I know its kind of a dead horse issue, but after reading potentially more rules in North America being adopted along with refs under recent scrutiny, it could make it worse.

One can't expect by the time MMA is legal in all 50 and it has more structure, that rules aren't going to change from they way they are now. I can see elbows being eliminated completely... By the time MMA is supppper mainstream, housewives and legislatures arent going to want TV to air blood baths like Lytle's face... Its unfortunate but I can see MMA getting dumbed down in the US in the future...

Now combine that with the already restrictive cage that allows for pinning and/or stalling for some; its a recipe for more decisions....

So no blood, prob more restrictive rules, a cage, and more talented fighters = the excitement and results of watching Boxing or Kick Boxing on ESPN, which is boo compared to MMA

Call me a pessimist, but I can see legislative officials and others turning MMA into this...