Decision time: What is the best UFC event ever?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Decision time: What is the best UFC event ever?
emfleek
7/6/09 2:26:12PM
UFC 100 is nigh, so it is time for us to decide the best event of the first 99. For the past few months, Yahoo! Sports has been counting down every single UFC, from the first event on November 12, 1993, to the last one, UFC 99 in Germany on June 13.

STORY
BMF
7/6/09 2:48:57PM
UFC 6 is my pick, first event I ever went to and was in my home town.
Pookie
7/6/09 2:56:51PM
UFC 84 was a great card. Thats my favorite.
lohmann
7/6/09 3:10:33PM
UFC 31 is my favorite ever. Couture vs. Rizzo, Newton's bulldog choke victory over Miletich, the breakthrough of Chuck Liddell, Mr. International's closing-seconds spinning backfist over Serra, Pete "I'll knock Semmy Schilt out" William's foolishness - great card front-to-back.

UFC 76 is also a personal favorite, although it's hard to like it sometimes because Rua lost his inaugural UFC contest.
emfleek
7/6/09 3:19:06PM
It's about impossible for me to choose so I'll list a few that stick out like a sore thumb...

UFC 96: Jardine vs. Jackson
UFC 91: Lesnar vs. Couture
UFC 87: Seek & Destroy
UFC 62: Liddell vs. Sobral
UFC 60: Hughes vs. Gracie
Brain_Smasher
7/6/09 3:19:12PM
Ultimate Ultimate 2
Jackelope
7/6/09 3:59:06PM
add UFC 52 onto that list. Another fantastic card.
emfleek
7/6/09 4:00:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Good call. That GSP/Mayhem fight was an absolute blood bath. Great event!
Jackelope
7/6/09 4:14:36PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

Good call. That GSP/Mayhem fight was an absolute blood bath. Great event!

Yep, Hughes vs. Trigg 2 and Couture vs. Liddell 2 as well. Mayhem showed unbelievable heart in that fight against GSP. That's actually Dana's favorite UFC event ever, too.

I seriously think if these fighters give their all at UFC 100 it could challenge.
Brain_Smasher
7/6/09 4:21:11PM
Good call guys. After putting more thought into it.

I got:

UU2
UFC 79 with Chuck vs Silva
UFC 52 Chuck vs Couture
UFC 92 QJ vs Silva
telnights
7/6/09 4:27:05PM
There are a few events I would pick over the choices they have. Here are justa few off the top of my head.

UFC 14 because it was truly the first event that it started to become a sport and move away from the no rules aspect.
UFC 33 because that when Zuffa took over and the UFC started to become what it is today.
UFC 52 - because there was so many great fights on this card.
UFC 60 - was also one that should have made the list as well. It was truly the changing of the guard.
TUF final 1 - It might not have a UFC number but this event truly changed the sport of MMA and helped make it the sport it is today. At first I couldn't stand all the new uneducated fans but I was happy to see the sport growing and without this event MMA in the US wouldn't be where it is today.

Now these are just a few and there are more I could list but I think the choices they have are very limited.
SpiderSilva
7/6/09 4:59:37PM
for Me it was UFC 91

and UFC Im pretty sure 87
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
7/6/09 6:16:07PM
I chose 52 in a past thread , 84 is a good option also . the triple main event, 4 awesome prelims, yoshida anaconda , palhares orgasmic armbar to retire ivan , carwin's crushing ko . soko leg kick tko .
MLSparker
7/6/09 6:19:50PM
I gotta go with UFC 58. Stout vs Fisher, GSP vs BJ, and Franklin vs Loiseau, to this day I haven't been more entertained throughout a whole card. 84 has to be a close second.
GSPCanada
7/6/09 9:05:55PM
ufc 91 probably was probably the best overall card because the undercard was so good, i was bored with the main and co main event. ufc 84 and 87 were probably the best in terms of big names, 92 was filled with hlights but my favorite has to be ufc 73

sean sherks vicious takedowns matched with hermes catching him the first 10 seconds of each round were awesome but the rets of the rounds were borin lol. andersons hlight ko of marquardt, noguiera coming back against heath. and rashad finding away to stay undefeated and force the tie against tito
bigbubbano23
7/6/09 9:18:00PM
ufc 84 ill will, my favorite
WheelchairBandit
7/6/09 9:40:49PM
UFC 49
UFC 31
UFC 17
UFC 28

WB.
Khaos
7/6/09 11:51:37PM
My personal favorite is UFC 58: USA vs Canada, all the fights were good, and it consisted of great fights like Franklin vs Loiseau and GSP vs Penn 1. The theme of all american fighters against all Canadian fighters was pretty tacky, but it served up some great fights.

Other favorites include:

UFC 37: High Impact
UFC 63: Hughes vs Penn
UFC 83: Serra vs St.Pierre 2
UFC 69: Shootout
UFC 77: Hostile Territory
theguido
7/7/09 8:37:11AM
UFC 81 was my favroite because:
Mir vs Lesnar
incredible choke by Almeida
Boetsch dominates Heath in exciting fashion ( see AV )
Lytle barn burner 33 second KO
And last but not least -- Sylvia gets choked out in the 3rd by a beaten Nog.

And it was either 80 or 81 where we got to see the entire card on ppv which was sweet.
Khaos
7/7/09 10:23:31AM

Posted by theguido

And it was either 80 or 81 where we got to see the entire card on ppv which was sweet.

81 is a good choice, and I believe both 80 and 81 aired every fight but one (stout-eklund) and (eastman-martin).