Decimal Controversy: Nick Diaz's lawyer releases texts from UFC & Quebec officials

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Decimal Controversy: Nick Diaz's lawyer releases texts from UFC & Quebec officials
FastKnockout
3/28/13 9:56:14PM
Nick Diaz's lawyer, Jonathan Tweedale, provides Bloody Elbow with text transcripts of conversations with UFC and Quebec officials in the wake of the "decimal controversy" surrounding the UFC 158 weigh-ins for Diaz's bout with Georges St. Pierre.

Link
BeeR
3/29/13 7:46:03AM
Shenanigans
GSP missed weight.
postman
3/29/13 9:32:13AM

Posted by BeeR

Shenanigans
GSP missed weight.

I hate to agree but everything I have seen is heading that way.
JoeWarren33
3/29/13 10:30:42AM
I am actually disgusted reading this, it goes to show you they have their favorites and GSP is one of them! I am sick of the special treatment GSP is getting, and how this is acceptable is beyond me. I look forward to Hendricks KO'ing his a$$!
prophecy033
3/29/13 11:41:04AM

Posted by JoeWarren33

I am actually disgusted reading this, it goes to show you they have their favorites and GSP is one of them! I am sick of the special treatment GSP is getting, and how this is acceptable is beyond me. I look forward to Hendricks KO'ing his a$$!

good luck with that
Bustamante-Aoki
3/29/13 12:31:07PM
Think about it from Nicks point of view.

He was suspended for a year for having trace amounts of marijuana in his system.

GSP and Nick both signed a contract stating 170 was the maximum weight allowance. Then Nick was told that decimals don't count and that they could weigh up to 170.9 lbs. Nick doesn't cut much weight. This "rule" benefitted GSP much more than Nick and wasn't a real rule so... why was it enforced?

If having trace amounts of weed in your system is an unfair advantage then weighing an extra 0.9lbs should be as well.

Not only is the athletic commission being corrupt and bending their rules, but Zuffa is ignoring it too, and acting like it shouldn't matter. Why are they protecting the athletic commission which is choosing what "rules" to enforce and when?

The fact that this same athletic commission won't allow Bellator into Quebec because their cage is "too big", should raise some red flags. Why would the Quebec athletic commission oppose Bellator coming to Quebec? Only reason I can think of is that they're protecting the interests of the UFC. How else do you explain it?
Pookie
3/29/13 1:53:18PM
Diaz is probably pissed at missing that extra 20% of GSPs purse.
Chael_Sonnen
3/29/13 1:59:27PM
Let me break this all down for you fellow CHAELgrounders....

.9 = the chance Nick has to win a case in court
.9 = the chance Nick actually knows what a decimal is
.9 = the amount of weight "Safe" actually cuts before a fight
.9 = the amount that "Safe" Pierre tries to win and finish a "FIGHT"
NE-1
3/29/13 2:12:45PM
I honestly just don't care and by all accounts I should, he does have a valid point. BUT, Diaz hasn't won a fight in two years and all this crap is just him trying to leverage a rematch. The same way he used running his mouth to get a title shot he didn't deserve in the first place.

The man is a habitual offender of violating contractual obligations and now he's captain by the book, mr. rule enforcer. He can't take a loss like a professional, but that doesn't surprise me as he always fails to conduct himself as a professional.

For someone who throws punches after the bell, looks to scrap it out in the hospital, instigates brawls post fight, fails multiple drug tests, uses profanity/ obscene gestures to disrespect every opponent, and portrays himself as the thug of MMA he certainly looks like a hypocrite.

Mr. Diaz I just don't care.
NE-1
3/29/13 2:14:38PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

For the less mathematically inclined a .9 chance = 90%

Great fail though
Chael_Sonnen
3/29/13 3:00:19PM

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Great fail though

Hey GENIUS....your homework assignment from Daddy Chael is to learn and recite the term "Sarcasm" - - because you obviously don't know what that means...read my post and implement that term and will get it....or not.

Hey kids, that is what they call a FAILURE on teh interWEB.
NE-1
3/29/13 3:01:41PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by NE-1

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Great fail though

Hey GENIUS....your homework assignment from Daddy Chael is to learn and recite the term "Sarcasm" - - because you obviously don't know what that means...read my post and implement that term and will get it....or not.

Hey kids, that is what the call a FAILURE on teh interWEB.

Lol brother, gotta be able to take em to dish em. I enjoy you're stuff though.
Bubbles
3/29/13 10:08:31PM

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

If having trace amounts of weed in your system is an unfair advantage then weighing an extra 0.9lbs should be as well.

weed is considered an illegal substance, not a PED
Manak
3/30/13 1:16:52AM
if he did in fact miss weight then it should be turned to a no contest but we still need to hear from GSP and have more info released.

oddly i still dont really care. Diaz always cries after his losses. i mean this was his moment; for the 1st time ever we saw GSP tired and couldn't get the take down at will. diaz was even able to hold GSP on the cage and after all the talk diaz did, he goes loses both the championship rounds. but i dont really care about a rematch, the same thing will happen and diaz will again bitch about not having the right sleep, training partners, or not enough ppl saying he can do it. he has cried wolf too many times for me to care.

But Like i said before it should be turned into a no contest IF he did in fact miss weight.
Manak
3/30/13 1:25:27AM

Posted by JoeWarren33

you do realize every sport shows favoritism to their stars, I mean the NFL has put in rule changes to make sure QBs are left alone. NBA has made the refs call more fouls to help their superstars. yes if he did in fact miss weight then it is fucked up and should be a no contest but it is nonsense to think they will stop showing favoritism to guys who make the millions. there is a reason certain events sell better then others, because people either like rooting for Goliath or rooting to see him fall.
Bustamante-Aoki
3/30/13 2:57:18AM
For the record, I don't think this warrants a rematch or a NC. I just think it shows how corrupt the Quebec athletic commission and Zuffa are, and I support Nick and his Lawyers in exposing it.
postman
3/30/13 9:49:53AM

Posted by Bustamante-Aoki

For the record, I don't think this warrants a rematch or a NC. I just think it shows how corrupt the Quebec athletic commission and Zuffa are, and I support Nick and his Lawyers in exposing it.

I think GSP is going to have a tougher time getting fights on his home ground.
JoeWarren33
3/30/13 10:48:34AM
Manak- Big difference is, those are team sports and this is an individual sport. I do agree with you on rules, also Nfl brought it other rules to protect other positions not just the QB.
JoeWarren33
3/30/13 10:50:40AM
Hope next Gsp fight is in Vegas as planned!
Kpro
3/31/13 12:22:43AM
Montreal bending over backwards for their cash cow. Now Bellator wants to have an event there but apparently can't because of their ring being over 24 feet across which is the max in Montreal, yet the Octagon is 32 feet across and is allowed because GSP fights for the UFC.

They just make up rules on the fly and don't enforce those in place if it doesn't benefit themselves or "their" fighters.

The judging on Montreal events as we've seen multiple events in a row also leaves a lot to be desired.

I think the Diaz camp didn't care about it until the fight was over because GSP missing weight would've meant non-title fight. Unfortunately they were just on the wrong end of a shitty AC.. nothing will be done and a rematch is unnecessary.. Touchy subject that no one will go near.

The UFC should not use the AC in Montreal the next time they head up there. Let them miss out on the gate so they get their act and way their rules are written finally up to speed if they want to be a regular UFC destination.
FlashyG
3/31/13 2:35:05AM

Posted by Kpro

The UFC should not use the AC in Montreal the next time they head up there. Let them miss out on the gate so they get their act and way their rules are written finally up to speed if they want to be a regular UFC destination.

As much as I'd love to see the commission in Quebec pay the price for their terrible handling of this event, the UFC would never do this because Montreal has been a cash cow for the company.

I think this is a case where Diaz has a legitimate argument against officials, but I also think that the Diaz camp is ridiculous in what they feel are owed to them because of it.
Kpro
3/31/13 3:29:27AM

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by Kpro

As much as I'd love to see the commission in Quebec pay the price for their terrible handling of this event, the UFC would never do this because Montreal has been a cash cow for the company.

Purely wishful thinking, I know it would never happen. It seems a lot of the provinces are horrible up North, Re: MFC.
jay98107
4/1/13 5:04:28PM

Posted by Manak

Posted by JoeWarren33

you do realize every sport shows favoritism to their stars, I mean the NFL has put in rule changes to make sure QBs are left alone. NBA has made the refs call more fouls to help their superstars. yes if he did in fact miss weight then it is fucked up and should be a no contest but it is nonsense to think they will stop showing favoritism to guys who make the millions. there is a reason certain events sell better then others, because people either like rooting for Goliath or rooting to see him fall.

I mean, I get what you're saying, but that doesn't make it any more justifiable. Your argument is essentially "Of course they're corrupt, look at how popular GSP is!" It's a fact, but just because makes sense financially doesn't mean the fans have to accept this nonsense. Favoritism is rooted in fan base, which is rooted in Octagon success. If GSP lost, someone would eventually become a fan favorite himself. I'm not that interested in rigging the deck in order to maintain the current status quo.
moob
4/2/13 2:53:19PM
Who really cares ?

Christ, this is a lot of noise over a fraction of a pound.

Would this fraction of a pound make any difference to the outcome, or if GSP failed to make 170 on the nose, wouldn't he have the ability to cut that?

Am I missing something here ?
telnights
4/2/13 9:14:55PM
Well I will say its very shady of the Montreal commission but its really a non-issue and I think by trying to make it an issue is making Diaz and his camp look like a bunch of cry baby's.