UFC decides not to renew Roger Gracie's contract, making him a free agent

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC decides not to renew Roger Gracie's contract, making him a free agent
FastKnockout
8/5/13 11:39:52AM
Roger Gracie's first UFC fight doubles as his last. The middleweight's contract was not renewed after his loss to Tim Kennedy at UFC 162.

Link
jae_1833
8/5/13 12:04:02PM
I wouldn't have either, dude isn't well rounded and isn't particularly competitive. Gracie's need to wake up or just become hits instructors.
postman
8/5/13 12:30:05PM

Posted by jae_1833

I wouldn't have either, dude isn't well rounded and isn't particularly competitive. Gracie's need to wake up or just become hits instructors.

Or round the Gracie game out. Its sad to think that a family that has been held in such high reguard in the sport, refuses to grow with the sport. Seriously how much jits do you need? Dudes arn't ripping subs off like they used to.
BillsNewAccount
8/5/13 12:52:06PM

Posted by postman

Posted by jae_1833

Or round the Gracie game out. Its sad to think that a family that has been held in such high reguard in the sport, refuses to grow with the sport. Seriously how much jits do you need? Dudes arn't ripping subs off like they used to.

Maia didn't have much wrestling or striking when he first came to the UFC. No doubt he needs to develop his game but cutting him after one loss in the UFC seems a little premature to me. Although, I wouldn't imagine he would get that far with his current skill set.

A Roger v Paul Harris loser leaves town match would have been cool.
Goatenstein
8/5/13 12:58:30PM
Zuffa seems to really hate the Gracies.
SpiderSilva
8/5/13 1:31:55PM

Posted by BillsNewAccount

Posted by postman

Posted by jae_1833

But when maia came he was aggressive with his jitz and finished. I think Gracie left his gas tank in the UK

Maia didn't have much wrestling or striking when he first came to the UFC. No doubt he needs to develop his game but cutting him after one loss in the UFC seems a little premature to me. Although, I wouldn't imagine he would get that far with his current skill set.

A Roger v Paul Harris loser leaves town match would have been cool.

prozacnation1978
8/5/13 2:24:59PM
Bad fight period. I didn't see him staying.
Bet bellator picks him up or one fc
GDPofMPG
8/5/13 2:49:04PM
Good move, Roger looks soft mentally. Always has. He is not ready for a stage like the UFC in his overall talent either.
jjeans
8/5/13 3:00:51PM
Doesn't suprise me and yeah Paul Harris v Gracie woulda been cool but if he had 1 fight on his contract no way would they renew his contract after that performance!

I'm very interested if Bellator or WSOF try's to snatch him up. A MW bout between Rumble and Gracie would be brilliant to add onto Rumbles win streak and it would be a win at HW, LHW and MW for Rumble.

If he joins Bellator it'd finally give them a MW with some named value which that division lacks without Lombard
BillsNewAccount
8/5/13 3:28:07PM

Posted by jjeans

Doesn't suprise me and yeah Paul Harris v Gracie woulda been cool but if he had 1 fight on his contract no way would they renew his contract after that performance!

I'm very interested if Bellator or WSOF try's to snatch him up. A MW bout between Rumble and Gracie would be brilliant to add onto Rumbles win streak and it would be a win at HW, LHW and MW for Rumble.

If he joins Bellator it'd finally give them a MW with some named value which that division lacks without Lombard

Yeah, Belly lacks good MWs. He's probably best off there. I think Rumble would smash him the same way Mo did. With a steel cup to the eyeball.
DrivenDavies15
8/5/13 3:29:00PM
Too bad, they hyped him a shit load when they first signed him and cut him after the fight with Kennedy went pretty much how everyone expected.
He could go anywhere, he's a solid fighter and once he improves his striking and wrestling he could be great. He doesn't seem too mentally strong but still, best of luck for him wherever he ends up.
bjj1605
8/5/13 4:32:33PM

Posted by postman

Posted by jae_1833

Dudes aren't ripping off subs because dudes aren't training jits. Everyone is obsessed with striking right now because its what fans want.

The dudes who are using jits are still doing so effectively, like Demian Maia.

Gracie's problem has nothing to do with his techniques or his training. He simply isn't an athlete right now. He needs to get a strength and conditioning coach, not a boxing coach.
tallica62
8/5/13 8:03:23PM
He's only worth keeping because of the name draw...his prognosis imo is not to be the champ
UFC_Fanatic
8/5/13 8:29:55PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by postman

Posted by jae_1833

Dudes aren't ripping off subs because dudes aren't training jits. Everyone is obsessed with striking right now because its what fans want.

I'd say that's what the casual fans want. I'm sure that a lot of us here love technical ground battles. I know I do. Striking wars are fun to watch, but I find a technical back and forth grappling exchange just as exciting.
bjj1605
8/6/13 4:40:25PM

Posted by UFC_Fanatic

I'd say that's what the casual fans want. I'm sure that a lot of us here love technical ground battles. I know I do. Striking wars are fun to watch, but I find a technical back and forth grappling exchange just as exciting.

Ya I don't want to start a flame war but I think the reputation grapplers have of being "boring" comes much more from wrestlers than BJJ guys.