The December MEGACARD!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The December MEGACARD!!!
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 6:00:31PM
The UFC always has a huge December megacard. Last year it was Hughes/GSP 3 and Liddell/Silva, the year before was Liddell/Ortiz 2. What do you guys see for this years big event as things are shaped right now? I see...

Main Events
-Rampage vs. Wandy 3- LHW title
-BJ Penn vs. Kenflo- LW title(since GSP was planning on taking a 6 month break but since the main events for 87 collapsed I imagine he'll take it after Fitch even if he does beat Fitch, and I see Kenflo beating Huerta)

Rest of Main Card
-Liddell vs. Machida(After Liddell/Jardine 2 in September, this fight for the next title shot)
-Nate Diaz vs. Tyson Griffin
-Ricardo Almedia vs. Damien Maia

Prelims
-Lugi Forivanti vs. Chris Lytle
-Kendall Grove vs. Jason Macdonald
-Melvin Guillard vs. Mark Bocek(Probably switch bout since it be early KO/Sub)
-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. New Comer making debut

chickmagnet
6/12/08 6:13:23PM
That is a sick card. Is Jardine having a second fight with Liddell in september? If he is then I think he'l kill Jardine then he should fight machida. Penn would wreck Kenflo and Wandy would destroy Quinton......again, but even more violent.
Mchubb316
6/12/08 8:38:55PM
Looks good. I only see one thing I would change. I would put Evan Tanner against Jason Macdonald, because I see Grove losing to Tanner.
Boo_Radley21
6/12/08 8:47:24PM

Posted by Mchubb316

Looks good. I only see one thing I would change. I would put Evan Tanner against Jason Macdonald, because I see Grove losing to Tanner.

I don't even see Grove being in the UFC by December to be completely honest. Other than that it's a pretty good lookin' card.
p_unit23
6/12/08 9:43:13PM
awesome looking card. we'll just have to see.
king_katool
6/12/08 9:50:54PM
Liddel fight jardine for the next title shot?
is that you joe silva?
Rush
6/12/08 10:04:58PM
I don't see Almeida fighting Maia if he is supposed to beat Côté.
NatedawgThaM
6/12/08 11:39:36PM
I see Grove losing to Tanner which why I have it as a prelim fight. If Tanner beat Grove especially since it will probably be the main event or the 2nd to last fight, I don't think they'd throw him on the prelims. I just think both Grove and MacDonald will lose their next fight but Jason has some decent wins and Grove won TUF 3. I think it will be a winner gets one last chance loser goes type of deal.

I meant the fight would take place after Liddell fights Jardine in a rematch but that fight with Machida would be for a title shot. Since IMO Liddell would have to beat Machida to earn a 3rd shot against Rampage because I think Chuck needs to do the unthinkable to prove to people a 3rd fight COULD possibly be different then the 1st too. And Machida needs a win over another huge name so the PPV sales wouldn't be a total bust with casual fans.

And Rush, I just don't think Anderson will be ready to fight Ricardo until Feburary or March of next year since he's fighting in September or October next. Maia's been a great streak and the most vulnerable aspect of Anderson's game is on the ground. Atleast if I fought him that's where I'd choose to take my chances. Both are masters there so I don't see why with both on hot streaks, why they couldn't battle to see who has the best chance. Plus it would be Ricardo's only 3rd fight since coming back. I think he needs at least 3 before a title shot. Would be a great ground war.
89vision
6/13/08 1:03:00AM
Rampage vs Machida (LH title)
BJ vs Huerta (LW title)
Wandy vs Chuck 2
Leben vs Cote 2
Shogun vs Thiago
Carwin vs Kongo
Sherk vs Stevenson
Dong vs Lytle
Almeida vs Maia
Gonzaga vs Valasquez
Maynard vs Nate Diaz
Rush
6/13/08 12:50:43PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

And Rush, I just don't think Anderson will be ready to fight Ricardo until Feburary or March of next year since he's fighting in September or October next. Maia's been a great streak and the most vulnerable aspect of Anderson's game is on the ground. Atleast if I fought him that's where I'd choose to take my chances. Both are masters there so I don't see why with both on hot streaks, why they couldn't battle to see who has the best chance. Plus it would be Ricardo's only 3rd fight since coming back. I think he needs at least 3 before a title shot. Would be a great ground war.

I just looked at it from the stand point that Côté is unofficially ranked higher than Maia. It just seems like a step down for Almeida. That's not saying that Maia isn't good, but if Almeida were to fight both Côté and Maia, I just see him fighting Maia first and Côté second.

Honestly, I don't think Anderson is vulnerable on the ground. His stand up is his bread and butter, but his ground work was good enough to fend off a number of great grapplers.
The_Italian_Stallion
6/13/08 12:53:02PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

The UFC always has a huge December megacard. Last year it was Hughes/GSP 3 and Liddell/Silva, the year before was Liddell/Ortiz 2. What do you guys see for this years big event as things are shaped right now? I see...

Main Events
-Rampage vs. Wandy 3- LHW title
-BJ Penn vs. Kenflo- LW title(since GSP was planning on taking a 6 month break but since the main events for 87 collapsed I imagine he'll take it after Fitch even if he does beat Fitch, and I see Kenflo beating Huerta)

Rest of Main Card
-Liddell vs. Machida(After Liddell/Jardine 2 in September, this fight for the next title shot)
-Nate Diaz vs. Tyson Griffin
-Ricardo Almedia vs. Damien Maia

Prelims
-Lugi Forivanti vs. Chris Lytle
-Kendall Grove vs. Jason Macdonald
-Melvin Guillard vs. Mark Bocek(Probably switch bout since it be early KO/Sub)
-Gabriel Gonzaga vs. New Comer making debut

How did the card for 87 collapse it is one of the sickest cards I've ever seen!
masodd
6/13/08 7:34:32PM
Main Events:
BJ/ GSP
Chuck/ Shogun

Rest of fights who knows
mrkennedy
6/13/08 9:55:08PM

Posted by 89vision

Rampage vs Machida (LH title)
BJ vs Huerta (LW title)
Wandy vs Chuck 2