Debate: old UFC vs. new UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Debate: old UFC vs. new UFC
Styles
2/29/08 11:44:58PM
Someone in my camp decided that wanted to argue the fact that old UFC fighters a better then the newer UFC fighters. I guess we can devide the line of old and new by comparing the active fighters in the first 20 or so UFC events or whatever, but you are getting my drift.

Not really much that needs to be said in my opinion. Newer UFC are well-rounded, and more knowledgable (on average). Old UFC fighters were more one dimentional in there skills of mma.

What are your opinions?
ohiostate1016
2/29/08 11:52:39PM
Depends on how you look at it. In the earlier days, most of the competitors didn't train solely in MMA; they were masters of their respective arts. Nowadays, there are more fighters, and there is going to be some thinning of talent as more and more fighters enter the sport. It's like the Arena Football League. These guys know how to play football, but they just aren't at the top level that guys in the NFL are.

So yes, the top-level fighters are better today than the top-level fighters of yesteryear. But these guys concentrate 100% on training, and they are paid good money to do so. We have obviously seen an evolution in MMA, or else the sport wouldn't be around today (remember John McCain's 'human cockfighting' comment?)
nix7777
3/1/08 12:12:05AM
i think that the new ufc would win due to the well roundedness but it would be interesting to see the new guy fight with the rules of old and see who could hold up.
SpiderSilva
3/1/08 12:42:16AM
Newer guys hands down look at the Hughes/Gracie fight it has evolved so much even just knowing BJJ isn't good enought you have to be wel vesed in everything
Ultimate_fighter
3/1/08 1:42:43AM
Ortiz vs Shamrock settled this problem, old school vs new school... Ortiz dominated every fight and shamrock was the most wellrounded fighter back in the day... Old UFC would acually get dominated every fight... on if you don't count Couture since he is fighting now a days...
telnights
3/1/08 3:05:13AM

Posted by SpiderSilva

Newer guys hands down look at the Hughes/Gracie fight it has evolved so much even just knowing BJJ isn't good enought you have to be wel vesed in everything

and the fact is Matt isn't even as well rounded as some of the other fighters are and he just moped the floor with Royce.
zephead
3/1/08 10:31:23AM
Fact is, if you're not wellrounded, you're in trouble. Frank showed the world what you needed to win. That a wellrounded fighter could beat someone who was great at one aspect of the fight game.

Old school was exciting because it was something new, but when I go back and watch fights of the early UFC and then watch the fights of today, it's a different world. I remember Coleman dominating and the Mo Smith comes along and showed what cardio is all about.
loonytnt
3/1/08 1:14:12PM
well i see it in a different way, old UFC had guys in there that were good at one thing most of the time, and yes the newer UFC fighters are a lot more well rounded BUT, back in the old days of the UFC, mma was new,the older guys didnt have the gyms like we do now. guys are training for mma, old ufc fighters came to fight and didnt train as much as guys do now.

so imo new or old no group is better, the newer guys have more palces to train because the old timers so imo tie
Bowen50
3/1/08 2:22:19PM
how is this even a debate? new UFC obviously
jocksmall
3/1/08 3:58:46PM
some of the old cards were very entertaining but these new guys are far more talented in my opinion. its hard to compare guys of different eras in there prime to each other but very few could hold up to todays fighters which ones do you guys think could be a legit contender today? i have always thought marco ruas was ahead of his time.
NatedawgThaM
3/1/08 4:19:16PM
The fights were better but not the fighters.
tepid55
3/1/08 4:59:22PM
Marco Ruas, Oleg Taktarov, and Don Frye were very well-rounded fighters.
mrsmiley
3/1/08 6:34:35PM

Posted by SpiderSilva

That's very true.You need to be skilled in every aspect of the sport now.

But to Royce's credit,he didn't tap.