Death Magnetic

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Death Magnetic
The_Metal_Maniac
9/4/08 10:22:12PM
A few days ago I downloaded the new Metallica album; Death Magnetic. I was expecting the same old newer sounding Metallica heard on their albums of the 90's. I had somewhat of a glimmer of hope from their first single The day that never comes. After I listend to the cd I was pretty happy with their final result. It's a cross between Reload and And Justice For All. I actually give it 8.5 out of 10. This cd should breathe some life into the dying music scene.
Aaronno9
9/4/08 10:29:10PM
I still haven't downloaded it, but i saw Metallica at leeds festival last weekend and the new songs they played sounded awesome. I dont know wether it was just the fact i was in awe seeing metallica that i thought they sounded good, but ill be sure to download it and see what its like over the weekend.
SmileR
9/4/08 10:33:53PM

Posted by Aaronno9

I still haven't downloaded it, but i saw Metallica at leeds festival last weekend and the new songs they played sounded awesome. I dont know wether it was just the fact i was in awe seeing metallica that i thought they sounded good, but ill be sure to download it and see what its like over the weekend.

No way man where you at leeds?!
I don't even know you in real life and I just got all excited!
Best festival I'v been to in a long time! It pissed on last years one and I got a tan!
Aaronno9
9/4/08 10:45:15PM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by Aaronno9

No way man where you at leeds?!
I don't even know you in real life and I just got all excited!
Best festival I'v been to in a long time! It pissed on last years one and I got a tan!

Dude, Metallica + rage against the machine = the best festival of all time. Period. Not to forget my 3 favourite bands in Alkaline trio, Thrice and taking back sunday (im not gay, i just like the music) played aswell. It was insanely good.
DJDark41
9/5/08 2:56:57PM
ALL NIGHTMARE LONG FTW!
The_Metal_Maniac
9/5/08 3:29:43PM

Posted by DJDark41

ALL NIGHTMARE LONG FTW!

agreed
The-Don
9/8/08 10:09:33PM
I saw metallica a few years ago at Giants Stadium when they played with the Tattoo the Earth tour.. a full length Metallica concert with a festival type show all day prior including, Slayer, slipknot, sevendust, sepultura and others.. It was awesome.. I got sun poisioning, I could not speak clearly for a week I was so hoarse.. best concert on par with Ozzfest
Salty
9/9/08 11:58:47AM
someone should pm me a link to a download or something, i found a .rar of the CD but its password protected, and i don't have a passowrd
johnafirth
9/9/08 3:27:34PM
After buying St Anger the day it came out, and being badly stung by how crap it was, I was a bit apprehensive at first. Then I heard Rick Rubin was producing, rather than Bob Rock, and I was a bit more upbeat.

I then heard the single, and it was good. The whole album's pretty damn good. Certainly reminiscent of Justice (although I was never too enamoured with it personally). They're certainly back on the right track now.
Mastodon2
9/11/08 10:04:29AM
Hearing that Rick Rubin was producing didnt fill me with joy since he isnt actually a very good producer imo. Slayer's albums with him sound horrible (but since they are crap I'm not too gutted) and Slipknots Vol3 album is so compressed and poorly done. The Guitars have no edge to them and the drums sound thin and have no weight or space to them. I'm about to cut into Death Magnetic now and I hope he has done a better job here.

Of the tracks I've heard so far, they are awesome songs, but only with compressed youtube quality, or live tracks with decent recording quality. Hopefully the album tracks themselves sound good. St Anger was awesome, and they will have to go a long way to top it, but I'm confident they will do it with this album.
Believe-in-judo81
9/11/08 10:24:15AM
Is another, disgustingly overproduced, super commercial, labeled to death, glorified pop album released by a band that hasn't released a truly good thrash album since Ride the lightning. Stop wasting your time kids, Metallica's shit is tired and they are a TOTAL joke. If you want a good new thrash metal album check out Toxic Holocaust's new one, Overdose of Death. Or go back to the classics and grab any of the following.

Sodom: Any of their first four albums, Under the Sign of Evil and Persecution Mania are my favorites.
Kreator: Endless Pain and Pleasure to Kill both absolutely rip, must own Stuff.
Vulcano: Bloody Vengance. Great Band from Brazil that gets overlooked by a lot of metal fans, really great stuff.
Exodus: Bonded by Blood. These guys were a big influence on Metallica, which is obvious given the similarity between their stuff and Metallica's early material. I'm not a huge fan but they have a few killer songs and this is considered a must album in the Thrash metal genre.
Forbibben: Forbidden Evil. Best. American. Thrash Album. Ever Recorded. Period.

...Then of course there are the first two Metallica albums, Megadeth's stuff up to and including Rust in Peace, Early Destruction, and several other bands and Albums I won't mention. Not trying to be an ass or anything, just want to save you guys some time and money here. Metallica was a solid band, but now they are consistently releasing crap and wasting people's time and money, and that pisses me off. If you like old Metallica and the heavier side of 80's popular metal in general check this other stuff out, you'll like at least some of it.
The_Metal_Maniac
9/11/08 4:45:40PM

Posted by Believe-in-judo81

Is another, disgustingly overproduced, super commercial, labeled to death, glorified pop album released by a band that hasn't released a truly good thrash album since Ride the lightning. Stop wasting your time kids, Metallica's shit is tired and they are a TOTAL joke. If you want a good new thrash metal album check out Toxic Holocaust's new one, Overdose of Death. Or go back to the classics and grab any of the following.

Sodom: Any of their first four albums, Under the Sign of Evil and Persecution Mania are my favorites.
Vulcano: Bloody Vengance. Great Band from Brazil that gets overlooked by a lot of metal fans, really great stuff.
Exodus: Bonded by Blood. These guys were a big influence on Metallica, which is obvious given the similarity between their stuff and Metallica's early material. I'm not a huge fan but they have a few killer songs and this is considered a must album in the Thrash metal genre.

...Then of course there are the first two Metallica albums, Megadeth's stuff up to and including Rust in Peace, Early Destruction, and several other bands and Albums I won't mention. Not trying to be an ass or anything, just want to save you guys some time and money here. Metallica was a solid band, but now they are consistently releasing crap and wasting people's time and money, and that pisses me off. If you like old Metallica and the heavier side of 80's popular metal in general check this other stuff out, you'll like at least some of it.

I don't think they were trying to make a " thrash metal" album. I think they were just attempting to touch on some their roots. Which in my opinion they did pretty well in doing so for being out of touch for so long. Compared to all of their releases in the last 18 years this ranks at the top. Opinions differ but I'll take this new Metallica album on most of the horrible music that is out there.
iwannabesedated
9/11/08 5:24:13PM

Your sooo metal..
Believe-in-judo81
9/11/08 8:44:52PM

"Your sooo metal..:rollseyes"

Not trying to be metal man, just calling out guys who have absolutely no need to make more money that instead of focusing on making good, inspired, artfully played music... choose to make another album full of crappy, overproduced, generic commercial rock music to make more money. Yeah, I'm big on metal, and preferred this band when they had a metal sound, but that's not all I'm into, and I'm far from your typical close minded metal fan, I would totally embrace this album if it were something new, or even just an inspired sounding solid record, but it isn't, period. I don't like bad music, that's what this is, and I was just stating my opinion and offering some other potential purchases that I enjoyed more, all of which I thought your average Metallica fan would also find a lot to like about. So, once again, not trying to be a jerk just using my love and knowledge of music to give other music lovers other options to choose from.

By the by, Sublime had some really cool songs, but I found it hard to get into many other acts that did the sort of ska infused style of punk they played. Any suggestions?
The_Metal_Maniac
9/11/08 10:05:54PM

"Your sooo metal..:rollseyes"

Not trying to be metal man, just calling out guys who have absolutely no need to make more money that instead of focusing on making good, inspired, artfully played music... choose to make another album full of crappy, overproduced, generic commercial rock music to make more money. Yeah, I'm big on metal, and preferred this band when they had a metal sound, but that's not all I'm into, and I'm far from your typical close minded metal fan, I would totally embrace this album if it were something new, or even just an inspired sounding solid record, but it isn't, period. I don't like bad music, that's what this is, and I was just stating my opinion and offering some other potential purchases that I enjoyed more, all of which I thought your average Metallica fan would also find a lot to like about. So, once again, not trying to be a jerk just using my love and knowledge of music to give other music lovers other options to choose from.

By the by, Sublime had some really cool songs, but I found it hard to get into many other acts that did the sort of ska infused style of punk they played. Any suggestions?

This is why E-bay works. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I've found that music is such an opinionated topic it's not even worth talking about. It's on the same front as politics and religion. I like the new album you don't. That's why life is great.
Believe-in-judo81
9/11/08 11:49:11PM
Big agree, to each their own, I just like sharing the music I enjoy with others and hoping they like it too. I was on a big Folk and Blues Tangent there for awhile and haven't really listened to a whole ton of metal, grind, or hardcore punk, but I've been in a big mood for it lately.
Mastodon2
9/12/08 11:06:34AM

Well this is easily one of the worst posts I've seen on this forum, or any forum for that matter. Who cares about individual opinions, if Believe-in-judo91 said the album sucks, Metallica sucks and he is trying to save us money and trouble, he must right, surely?