Dear ESPN...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dear ESPN...
emfleek
10/20/08 10:08:41AM
Please, please, please do not show results of a UFC event on your ticker until the event has aired in the US!!!!

I was out at a bar (the old lady had movie night with a friend) to watch UFC 89. A sports bar. I was sitting in front of 2 big screens. The one on the left had UFC 89 and the one on the right was showing the Lakers game (wtf, I'm in Indiana?)

Above those two televisions, there were 6 smaller TV's that had various games on them. Some of those games were on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU.

Well, prior to the start of UFC 89, I happened to glance up at one of the smaller TV's just as I saw "MMA Results..." so I looked away as fast as I could. All night long I would find myself glancing up at the other TV's during a commercial and a few times I saw "MMA Results..." and it reminded me to NOT watch those TV's.

To make a long story short...I made it ALL NIGHT LONG without having the fights ruined for me by ESPN's ticker...until the main event. The first round ended and I glanced up at one of the smaller TV's just out of habit and the FIRST damn thing I saw was...

"Michael Bisping def. Chris Leben via Unanimous Decision"

So, needless to say, I wasn't even excited to watch the fight after that.

Thanks, ESPN.

postman
10/20/08 10:58:14AM
You my friend passed up a free night of drinking. You should have looked to see who won the fights then bet everyone you could a beer on the fights. Then after each fight you would have free beers line up ready for consumption.
Ordep
10/20/08 11:00:11AM
that makes it two international events spoiled in a row right fleek?

Play the lottery and if you get lucky you can travel to Ireland for 93, no-spoilers. Altough I think they'll have the 3pm PPV option for that one same as 85. BBQ Matinee.
emfleek
10/20/08 11:12:48AM

Posted by Ordep

that makes it two international events spoiled in a row right fleek?

Exactly. I do everything I can to avoid finding out the results and it still doesn't work. It's like recording a football game and not wanting anyone to tell you who won. There's always that one guy who can't keep his mouth shut about it...

Oh well. It's a good thing the the international events are spread out like they are.
ohiostate1016
10/20/08 11:52:37AM
Yeah...I was watching the Ohio State game and actually had to put a piece of paper on the bottom of the screen so that I wouldn't see the results. It sucks, but that's the way you have to do it.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/20/08 1:00:43PM
they take pride in giving you the results, as they happen.
u must understand that espn treats sports news like cnn or foxnews or an other news program treats news.
espn treats spors as if u were gambling on it & wanted to know if u won $ asap
it does suck though, next time do what i did
take u a spliff & go walkin in the woods
emfleek
10/20/08 1:03:10PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

u must understand that espn treats sports news like cnn or foxnews or an other news program treats news.

I know, but it still sucks. Live and learn, I guess...

At least they're covering it, I guess.
RhythmAndStyle
10/20/08 1:13:13PM
i dont know why ESPN does that..when ESPN has been one of the biggest MMA haters out there..they are always talkin some kind of shit bout MMA..but yet they show who won the main event..ESPN needs to stop all the shit talkin or get with the program...
Ordep
10/20/08 2:02:14PM

I blame the UFC too for that "LIVE AND FREE" TV commercial, i know it doesn relate to spoiling results bu you know what I mean. maybe the ESPN reporters thought it was actually LIVE on spike, nahhh they can't be that dumb.
AchillesHeel
10/20/08 2:31:54PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

i dont know why ESPN does that..when ESPN has been one of the biggest MMA haters out there..they are always talkin some kind of shit bout MMA..but yet they show who won the main event..ESPN needs to stop all the shit talkin or get with the program...

You mean, a program like MMA Live?

I agree that ESPN's ticker tape widget is a PITA, though. I've seen them show the final score of a soccer match while I was watching it.
cmb19932
10/20/08 2:38:17PM

You my friend passed up a free night of drinking. You should have looked to see who won the fights then bet everyone you could a beer on the fights. Then after each fight you would have free beers line up ready for consumption

it never works for me
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/20/08 2:41:08PM

Posted by emfleek

I know, but it still sucks. Live and learn, I guess...

At least they're covering it, I guess.

i feel u
most sports they show arent covered by tape delay so they usually dont have these problems
& the sad thing about it is the delayed shows happen infrequently enough to give u time to forget that espn might show a fight result & it could easily happen again next time

we gotta remember to stay on our toes for the Dublin show if its tape delayed!
emfleek
10/20/08 2:44:07PM

I'll just avoid ALL contact/interaction with the outside world that day. Screw it. No TV. No internet. No newspaper. No Nude Trucker Monthly Magazine. NOTHING.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/20/08 2:52:50PM

Posted by emfleek

I'll just avoid ALL contact/interaction with the outside world that day. Screw it. No TV. No internet. No newspaper. No Nude Trucker Monthly Magazine. NOTHING.

Nude Trucker Monthly is covering MMA now!!!

It really is mainstream!
dannyfrank
10/20/08 5:14:17PM
that really sucks. i have that kind of luck with movies. i had a friend who went to go see "the departed" and when he got back from the theater the first thing he did was find me and tell me the entire last 15 minutes of the movie
GrandMaster313
10/20/08 8:41:06PM

Posted by postman

You my friend passed up a free night of drinking. You should have looked to see who won the fights then bet everyone you could a beer on the fights. Then after each fight you would have free beers line up ready for consumption.

Thats a good point i have done that actually. I however am more lenient and tolerable to all of ESPN's shenanigans. Even if you know the result of a fight its still exciting to watch it. I like to critique the fight regardless if i know the outcome. I still go back and watch olf footage of fighters just to see if they have improoved on aspects of their game to make better decisions on my picks.

I hear what your saying but it's not the end of the world !