Dean Lister vs Thales Leites fight set for UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dean Lister vs Thales Leites fight set for UFC Fight Night 15 in Omaha
babalu2720
7/24/08 11:41:59AM
Middleweight Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belts, Dean Lister (11-5) and Thales Leites (14-1), will each look to climb another rung in the 185-pound division when the two meet at UFC Fight Night 15 at the Omaha Civic Auditorium in Omaha, Neb., on September 17, according to InTheGuard.tv.

http://mmamania.com/2008/07/24/dean-lister-vs-thales-leites-fight-set-for-ufc-fight-night-15-in-omaha/
gsquat
7/24/08 11:44:35AM
Wow. A really tough matchup to call. I can't even choose one or the other with any confidence right now. Contender ramifications though.
VictimSix
7/24/08 12:01:16PM
Awesome fight, can't wait to see it. I have no idea who i'd pick for this...I'll probably just pick Lister 'cause he's my boy but I'm looking forward to this.
prozacnation1978
7/24/08 12:09:40PM
great fight hope it is on main fight card
KYGUY07
7/24/08 12:22:32PM
I guess im gonnalean toward leites in this one but its a tough call.
xposipx
7/24/08 12:33:29PM
Too bad Palhares is being left out here. He's being fed to Dan Henderson instead
xphycorx
7/24/08 12:43:48PM
i think this is a fairly easy fight to pick. i see leites winning by a UD.
whardin19
7/24/08 12:51:06PM
I don't think this pick is a tough as some of you are making it. Listers stand up isn't good at all. I think Leites can keep this fight standing and win with a late TKO or UD.
Aaronno9
7/24/08 12:56:41PM
I think Lister has the better grappling, but Leites has the better stand up and i think Lister will have trouble taking him down unless he keeps jumping guard. Ill must likely go with Thales by decision or late tko.
Twenty20Dollars
7/24/08 1:14:32PM
Yeah i think it comes down too, thales being a better striker and will get the win that way with his striking.
jahdoug
7/24/08 1:33:30PM
If Lister could tap Leites it would go a long way towards his rise in the ranks and help overcome his terrible (but slowly improving) striking in the eyes of critics. He hung in the pocket pretty well against horn until he got an opportunity to get it done.
Though everyone says "Oh this is 2008 you have to have every facet of the game mastered to be sucessful", I'd ask if thats really the case. The key will be if Lister can continue to FINISH people via submissions. If they match him against wrestlers like that Radaev guy we'll see more boring fights w/ Listers terrible standup. If they put him against solid strikers with decent TD defense, we'll see Dean wade through punches taking punishment and eventually slapping on exotic submissions. That = exciting
bojangalz
7/24/08 1:42:45PM

Posted by xposipx

Too bad Palhares is being left out here. He's being fed to Dan Henderson instead

I wouldn't say he's bing fed to Hendo. Palhares is a sick boy, with serious top level BJJ. Hendo's got three losses to other top level Jui Jitzu fighters, so while it's not you cant call it a punchers chance, he's definately got a shot.
kaduey
7/24/08 2:12:28PM
I personally can't stand watching Lister fight. Leites should take this one easy by UD or TKO depending on how brave Lister is feeling that night.
Mchubb316
7/24/08 6:55:34PM
I'm a fan of Lister's, but I just don't see him beating Leites.