Dealing with Car Salesmen

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Dealing with Car Salesmen
Shawn91111
9/28/09 5:36:35AM
Im in the market for a new car, right now im just in the getting my choices down to 3 or 4. Anyhow this will be the first car ive actually gone to the dealership and struck a deal or shook a hand or whatever they make you shake. Im not saying I am naive, but just the thought of getting ripped off (which this being my first time, im sort of expecting) has me a bit nervous in dealing with salesmen. He could probably sell me rust proofing, and a bucket of bolts and id go for it.

So hopefully some playground members who have gone through this process before and could shed some of their past experiences, where they went wrong, what they did right and would do again. Also maybe some do's and dont's. I have a price range, and I know you're not supposed to let the salesman know how much you want to pay per month, but also I dont want a $600 a month car payment either. Thanks in advance.
scoozna
9/28/09 9:50:03AM
1. Know what they (the dealership) paid for the car, and what you should reasonably expect to pay for the car in your area (I think it's Edmunds.com that has this info).

2. Know, in advance, what price other dealerships are selling the same model for. If there is a difference, either go where it's lower, or use it as leverage.

3. Don't be afraid to say "Sorry, I just can't pay that much" and walk out. I'm guessing that's the *last* thing they want. They'll believe, hopefully , at that point, that you've got a limit and are sticking to it.

4. Don't be intimidated when the manager comes out to speak with you - remember that you have every right to pay as little for the car as they are willing to sell it to you.

5. If possible, have your financing together before you go there. If you can get decent financing (like from a credit union) before you show up, it's another bargaining chip in your pocket. They would love to have you finance it through themselves because they can make interest there too. If you want, you can agree to financing through them, if they'll do something for you on the price (or options).

6. As with most salesmen - don't be a dick, but recognize their job is to make as much money off of you as possible. And if he/she is a dick, go somewhere else.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been through the process a bunch of times and feel i"m getting better at it, being I'm not the most aggressive person in the world. My father-in-law lays down the law, and says "I'll give you $500 over invoice. That's all" Sometimes he gets his way, sometimes not. I think a lot of it depends on how in-demand the car is. Good luck, let us know how it shakes out.