What is the deal with Pride?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What is the deal with Pride?
marketmaven
7/31/07 9:05:51AM
Man, I really enjoyed Pride fights. The style, the screaming lady, the stage, the japanese ref egging on aggression or penalizing their purse. How about the fights, what!!?! Awesome. I just can't understand how the UFC won't at least give a shot to one Pride event. See how it goes.

I have to believe they are stretched out a bit, maybe too many things going on at one time and they can't put enough time, energy and focus to do an event in Japan well.

My Speculation, rambling thoughts:

Since the Fertitas bought Pride themselves and I understand Dana has no ownership stake in Pride Worldwide, maybe he has no incentive either, just pick up their fighters and move them to the organization he part owns.

Thousands upon thousands went to go see Pride fights (maybe two or even three times as many as the most attended shows the UFC ever put together (OHIO comes to mind). They are leaving huge money on the table and an openning for competitors in Asia. This may come back and bite them in the future.

Not sure how trademark laws work in Japan or internationally, but if they continue this indecision and do not use the Pride brand, over time (usually years) in the US you may have something called trademark abandonment. The Pride brand is very strong in Asia, and with FSN playing reruns over and over again (I just saw some Pride fights when I went out Saturday night at a local bar). So you now have some brand awareness here too. All that Brand promotion is going to go to waste. If the laws are similar overseas like here in the US, and If there is trademark abandoment, perhaps a slick competitor begins using it. Not sure if anyone knows.

Perhaps it is an ego thing, perhaps Dana wants the UFC to be the undisputed king of MMA and having an Asian equal or close #2 dimiinshes his brand and will allow for the questions to be asked all over again (Pride fighters are better etc).

Perhaps they do not have the expertise to run something in Japan. It is a totally different ballgame over there, massive cultural hurdles, different ways of doing business. It's not like starting an office in England or Canada where things are somewhat similar. Perhaps they might have to use certain people or promoters, or shall I saw the word...partner with other organizations or people behind the scenes. It has seemed like their way or the highway for most things I have seen (think HBO, Fedor negotiations etc). Not sure they want to give away control and they may be willing to leave money on the table if it means not having total control.

Here are my questions...

Anyone know if they are still paying the staff over there in Japan?

Anyone know if they are negotiating a new TV contract over there in Japan?

Do we know for sure if all new contracts for Pride fighters are for both Pride and UFC (I heard Shogun did this, not sure).

The answer to these questions may really tell us if the great brand PRIDE FC will fight another day, or just be absorbed into the UFC for good.
marketmaven
7/31/07 11:39:18AM
Anyone else like Pride and wondering if we will ever see another Pride event?
pv3Hpv3p
7/31/07 12:15:31PM
Yes, I loved Pride... And am in serious withdrawl... But even if it does come back, it will never be the same again... The Zuffa brand will force athletic commision rules onto the fights, and the 10 point must system will be used; there will be no more footstomps, soccerkicks, yellow cards, knees to downed opponents; and most importantly (to me) there will be no more Gran Prix's...

It's a sad state of affairs... The UFC could learn a few lessons from Pride, especially when it comes to the production value of their show vs the ones in Japan... Pride's production was head and shoulders above what the UFC was doing then and is doing now
slapshot
7/31/07 12:16:12PM
Pride is dead.
marketmaven
7/31/07 12:30:16PM
Hopefully, they give it one shot and when they see the dollars come in they'll change their mind. Perhaps the key is the Television deal.
LR
7/31/07 1:15:07PM
I really think K-1 Heroes is going to be the new PRIDE in Japan. They have a real opportunity to take if UFC isn't going to push along with a PRIDE in Japan. They can inherit the massive audience in Japan.
marketmaven
7/31/07 6:07:23PM
How is K1 Heros any good? I wonder what options the current top pride fighters that havent signed with UFC have now (little nog, gomi, kang, hunt, arona, overeem etc).
juanez13
7/31/07 6:22:48PM
yea pride was amazing...their shows was like nobodys elses....if u think ufc has a attedence on its shows....pride use to have like 45 , 60 thousand ppl..........they put the best fight...juss a shame loosing them.............................i ****** lovced the gran prix too, there is juss so many things that ill miss from pride............................................
SpiderSilva
7/31/07 7:38:45PM
R.I.P PrideFC
alvin
7/31/07 7:40:57PM
I was under the imporession Pride lost money. Could have been the corruption, but it's all rumors as far as I know. If Pride gets sactioned in the US, might as well just let it go. I actually liked it better due to the more aggressive fighting. Randlman's knees to the head. Who can forget Hunt's atomic buttdrop? And no one, no one can beat Bas in an interview or commentating. Man do I miss Pride. Hope the brothers can keep it in Japan and keep it clean.
marketmaven
7/31/07 10:36:46PM
Yes, I miss pride too , lets hope they get a show down there going for New Years. I am beginning to see how the UFC says one thing and does another.

P.S. Hardonk beats Mir in the next fight. That is the best bet I've seen in a while, you get paid 3x as Hardonk is that much of an underdog...incredible.

Hardonk and Mir
alvin
7/31/07 10:52:16PM
Hell yes. My money is on Hardonk easily. I'm also betting against Babalu.
hippysmacker
8/1/07 6:30:22AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Yes, I loved Pride... And am in serious withdrawl... But even if it does come back, it will never be the same again... The Zuffa brand will force athletic commision rules onto the fights, and the 10 point must system will be used; there will be no more footstomps, soccerkicks, yellow cards, knees to downed opponents; and most importantly (to me) there will be no more Gran Prix's...

It's a sad state of affairs... The UFC could learn a few lessons from Pride, especially when it comes to the production value of their show vs the ones in Japan... Pride's production was head and shoulders above what the UFC was doing then and is doing now

I loved Pride , but I have to disagree with the production values. To each his own and all, but personally the diaper gong guy, screaming lady, and audience shot sin mid-fight drove me nuts As for why I think the UFC hasn't run a Pride show .One of the hosts on Sherdog radio( cant' remeber for sure, Breen maybe) said they were having trouble with getting a TV deal , and there was resistance from the japanese beurocaracy on American ownership. The contract problems with fighter's they thought they were getting is also a problem. Personally I still have hope they will re-open it, but I doubt they will run more than 6 shows a year there if they do.
marketmaven
8/1/07 6:02:12PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I loved Pride , but I have to disagree with the production values. To each his own and all, but personally the diaper gong guy, screaming lady, and audience shot sin mid-fight drove me nuts As for why I think the UFC hasn't run a Pride show .One of the hosts on Sherdog radio( cant' remeber for sure, Breen maybe) said they were having trouble with getting a TV deal , and there was resistance from the japanese beurocaracy on American ownership. The contract problems with fighter's they thought they were getting is also a problem. Personally I still have hope they will re-open it, but I doubt they will run more than 6 shows a year there if they do.

You must be talking about the fights they would show on Fox Sports. Yeah, I love the shots of Herschel Walker and the Blonde Lady, or how they would cut in the middle of the fight. If you purchased the actual PPV's, its a different story and you dont get that at all. Basically the guy doing the TV editing for the American audience was probably Japanese and is clueless on American tastes.

Thanks for the update, I want to know more about that radio show and what was said. Hopefully, they can get it together and put together a New Years show.
Aether
8/1/07 6:13:15PM
hmm, I really don't remember ever seeing the camera cut to the audience, but I agree the screaming woman is attrocious... it took me a while to get used to her. Other than that though I agree that PRIDE's production was amazing. The whole intro with fireworks and the crazy animations on the big screens with the PRIDE theme song thundering in the background. That stuff just gets me pumped up. I decided a while back that if (probably when) I start fighting competitively I want the PRIDE theme as my entrance music.

To answer the question though I think it's safe to say we're not going to see another PRIDE event. The belt unifications are pretty much the nail in PRIDE's coffin. I'm pretty disappointed that the UFC went after almost none of PRIDE's lightweights personally. They seem to have focused exclusively on the heavier weight classes. They need to work on getting a bunch of PRIDE lightweight/welterweights to beef up their middle/lightweight divisions.
hippysmacker
8/2/07 1:18:52AM
I admit to only seeing about 8 pride PPv's live ( have most of them on DVD) , but yes I was talking about the FOX show . Jordan Brenn also addressed why they haven't signed Pride lightweights. Apparently a lot of Japanese guys, when they come up through Shooto's system, don't make enough money to have representation. Now that Joe Silva is so busy booking so many UFC shows he no longer goes out looking for fighters, they have come to him. The Japanese fighters that have come into the UFC in the last year have all been represented by just 1 or 2 guys agencies with English speaking ties . So to sum it up, a lot of the lightweight guys don't have the contacts. Guys like Gomi they tried to get apparently, but other exciting guys like Kawajiri and Ishida have been left out in the cold. It's a shame, but one of reps should sign them up IMO.