Davis vs. Swick Set For UFC 85

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Davis vs. Swick Set For UFC 85
DCRage
3/28/08 12:36:28PM
Rumors of a Marcus Davis-Mike Swick fight at UFC 85, circulating since February, now appear to be true. Both sides have confirmed today that they have signed for the fight and it now appears to be official.

Article
Porch28
3/28/08 12:39:59PM
Swick is in big trouble
babytater03
3/28/08 12:57:39PM

Davis is just amazing...GL Mike.
rameydl8
3/28/08 1:01:16PM
i hope davis gets the ko
waylon_o
3/28/08 1:14:28PM
It's really hard to dislike either guy here. I don't really care who wins, I just want to see a good fight. I think Davis has this if he can take him out in rd. 1, but Swick if it goes the distance.
CornishMMA
3/28/08 1:29:48PM

Posted by Porch28

Swick is in big trouble

Im amazed tbh cos i didnt think Davis would have a bandwagon like this, i thought people recognized he had only been fighting very weak opposition, wow he subbed Sprat! who doesnt? The Petz win was good but thats it tbh, Liaudin didnt turn up and was more chinny than i thought (well eary ) Taylor very nearly KO'd him, Tan shouldnt have even been in there, what am i missing that shows he will easily beat a top guy like Swick?????? Swick hung at 185 very well, he didnt lose that badly to Okami and nearly put him away in the 2nd! What about on the show when he nearly beat Bonnar with that swickotine? The guy has fought seriously tough guys whereas Davis hasnt

Im going to be loving the wager odds with Swick BETTER IN EVERY AREA does it for me, the reach will negate any small advantage Davis has with his boxing, but who hits harder? come on now people
wrona666
3/28/08 1:36:01PM
If Swick fights like he did in his last fight he is in trouble.....If we see the old Swick back this could be fight of the night potential....
scoozna
3/28/08 1:52:22PM

Posted by wrona666

If Swick fights like he did in his last fight he is in trouble.....If we see the old Swick back this could be fight of the night potential....

That's how I see it. He seemed sluggish and lackluster. Maybe he's just not used to that weight and will be much better this time. Cornish makes some good points about who Davis has fought, but not having fought someone doesn't convince me that he's not all he looks like (which is damn good).
quezocrema0032
3/28/08 2:03:29PM
yea i cant belive how many people forgot how good swick is cuz his last 2 fight i see swick dominating i like davis but big step up in compitetion
Porch28
3/28/08 2:12:20PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Porch28

Swick is in big trouble

Im amazed tbh cos i didnt think Davis would have a bandwagon like this, i thought people recognized he had only been fighting very weak opposition, wow he subbed Sprat! who doesnt? The Petz win was good but thats it tbh, Liaudin didnt turn up and was more chinny than i thought (well eary ) Taylor very nearly KO'd him, Tan shouldnt have even been in there, what am i missing that shows he will easily beat a top guy like Swick?????? Swick hung at 185 very well, he didnt lose that badly to Okami and nearly put him away in the 2nd! What about on the show when he nearly beat Bonnar with that swickotine? The guy has fought seriously tough guys whereas Davis hasnt

Im going to be loving the wager odds with Swick BETTER IN EVERY AREA does it for me, the reach will negate any small advantage Davis has with his boxing, but who hits harder? come on now people

Swick looked like shit in his last fight he looked terrible in his fight with Okami. Look I don't even hate the guy but Davis has shown vast improvement in every fight. The guy has really turned into a true MMA fighter. I hope the guys battle for three rounds but if Swick shows up like his last 2 fights it's going to be lights out. He'll be counting his lucky charms ....
jae_1833
3/28/08 2:16:14PM
People aren't showing Swick love because he took all that time off, lost a decision, dropped weight, and then won a dookie ass decision against Burkman!! He looks crappy as of late, while Davis may be fighting canish opponents, he has been finishing them off. I would much rather watch Davis get a quick win then see Swick ride out a decision any day!!
billycarnage
3/28/08 2:18:17PM
I am in limbo. I can't call this one. I think their strenghts are too similar. I think that Swick knows very well how to use his length and stature. Davis has the heart of a Lion. Those are the only two differences and if they were to go best out of ten it would be split 5 and 5. So I will bet on the underdog whoever it be and hope to cash in I don't care who it is. And a KO finnish will be nice!
BigTomZ
3/28/08 3:05:08PM
This could turn out to be an awesome fight.
Focker101
3/28/08 3:15:43PM
I think Swick will make the mistake of standing with Davis
that is a mistake, even for swick

Davis is getting better with every fight
I think swick is a great fighter and a true contender but I think Marcus is on the way up to contendership as well ( he wont ever be a title owner at ww )

I think davis is number 10 on the 10 best ww and he will climb that ranking to top 5 this year
tylerlee123
3/28/08 3:15:45PM
I can see Davis winning this but , if i know Swick he'll step it up big time for this one so we'll see what happens either way its going to be a great fight
RMFG_187
3/28/08 3:20:52PM
no fighter is the same since losing decisevly(dunno how to spell)

ever since Okami, Swick isn't the Swick of old. spending less than half a round in the cage a night. now hes a lot more in secure, defensive, and isnt as explosive as before. I've noticed this a lot now a days.
CornishMMA
3/28/08 3:49:26PM
Dunno who you have noticed it much cos he only had 1 fight since then!

And he didnt lose that badly, the flurry in the 2nd nearly won him the round, ok he got beat on in full mount for the last 3 mins but Okami is big at 185, Swick may have been gunshy against Burkman but i tell you what if he fought that crap and still won against a guy like that then Davis better hope he isnt at his best!!! In fact Davis wouldnt fair much with a guy like Burkman more than likely, he would outwrestle him!

Swick has stated to Greg Savage that he will fight hard and theres no way he rides out a decision ever again, he would rather lose, some may think ah ok he will get KTFO then but i dont see it, i hope Swick takes him down and wins the easy way but he will likely get the better of the standup for 3 rounds, unless Davis has a weaker chin than i think
Mchubb316
3/28/08 3:59:43PM
I think Swick will put on a better showing this fight. I think it will be a good fight with Davis winning by TKO 2nd Rd
Porch28
3/28/08 4:06:33PM

Posted by CornishMMA

And he didnt lose that badly, the flurry in the 2nd nearly won him the round, ok he got beat on in full mount for the last 3 mins but Okami is big at 185, Swick may have been gunshy against Burkman but i tell you what if he fought that crap and still won against a guy like that then Davis better hope he isnt at his best!!! In fact Davis wouldnt fair much with a guy like Burkman more than likely, he would outwrestle him!

Swick has stated to Greg Savage that he will fight hard and theres no way he rides out a decision ever again, he would rather lose, some may think ah ok he will get KTFO then but i dont see it, i hope Swick takes him down and wins the easy way but he will likely get the better of the standup for 3 rounds, unless Davis has a weaker chin than i think

Does Davis owe you money??????
jiujitsufreak74
3/28/08 4:18:40PM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Porch28

Swick is in big trouble

well of course you know i disagree. Davis' win over Tan was a great win imo. he got tagged with a well placed head kick which you say nearly KOed him. i agree that it stunned him for a bit, but that wasn't a negative it was a positive. it showed Davis' resourcefulness and proved that he has a well rounded game. and to say that Swick is better in every area is kidding yourself. the reach won't be too much of a problem for Marcus since as a professional boxer he has dealt with reach disadvantages before. he will feel Swick out and get comfortable with his reach in the 1st and once he feels like he has a taste of Swick's capabilities he will go in for the kill. Marcus has way better stand up then Swick imo and definitely has the faster, more powerful punches. his kicks are about on par with Swick and a source close to Marcus has told me that he has been training kicks extremely hard since the Tan fight. Swick has faed better competition but this is a bad match-up for him as he faces the ever-improving Marcus Davis who has proceeded light years since his days on the show. don't take Marcus lightly and i believe that even in the sub department he is not at a disadvantage. working with Gurgel and training straight grappling for a whole year has definitely improved his JJ and i don't see Swick being able to submit him. Marcus keeps this standing, feels out Swick and scores the KO in the 2nd.
prozacnation1978
3/28/08 4:54:19PM
great addition to the main card,
billycarnage
3/28/08 5:55:57PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Davis' win over Tan was a great win imo. he got tagged with a well placed head kick which you say nearly KOed him. ...and a source close to Marcus has told me that he has been training kicks extremely hard since the Tan fight.

I wont say you are wrong but again it is too even to call. If I'm Swick I am training kicks as well because that seems to be Davis' weakness (Tan/Taylor near KO) if he has one. I hope he is training kick defense as well. Kicks will be incorporated in the Swicks reach advantage, It wont be an easy win for either fighter.
Red-Dragon
3/29/08 6:58:46AM

Posted by CornishMMA

I have heard it many times before when fighters say no more decisions but it doesnt always work out that way. I would say Davis is most definately the harder hitter and would agree that Swick hasnt looked the same of late. Even in his win over Burkman. On the other hand Davis is on fire at present. I can see Swick going to sleep like he did against Leben but would be too suprised if Swick squeezed a decision again.
fightdavejordan
4/3/08 9:36:06AM
davis is going to hopefully win by ko