Davis vs. Swick

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Davis vs. Swick
POLL: Davis vs. Swick
Davis 76% (29)
Swick 24% (9)
casey64
3/21/08 5:07:22PM
I think it will be a great fight and I have Davis 2 rd ko so what does everyone else think
wolfman
3/21/08 5:14:32PM
What was wrong with this thread...http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic16912-1.html Which was also posted today??? Seriously people, I know we all make this mistake of posting similar topics, but how hard is it to use the search feature or better yet, to check today's topics?!

nickcuc547
3/21/08 6:06:22PM
i seem to be in the minority here and i dont know why, but im going with swick. i think he is a more well rounded, more tested fighter. davis has looked great but he hasnt beaten the guys on the level that swick has. swick should be able to take what davis throws at him, plus he is quicker, i think he catches him in a "swickotine" in the first round.
NatedawgThaM
3/21/08 7:28:58PM
Davis ground game is underrated so I don't think Swick will have a ton of advantage on the ground except positioning and transitioning from basic wrestling. Swick wants an impressive performance anyway so he'll be aiming for the KO.

IMO Davis's chin > Swicks chin as Swick has a KO loss to Leban and Marcus hits just as hard. I'm going Marcus KO in the 2nd.
tberg420
3/22/08 12:38:02PM
You can't say that Swick's chin is worse because Davis was clearly KO'd against Taylor. Swick hasn't shown any sort of weak chin inside the Octagon. Swick will win on Points.
Gipper
3/22/08 1:22:06PM
great matchup. davis by ko/tko or swick by sub. should be a good fight.
NatedawgThaM
3/22/08 1:33:56PM

Posted by tberg420

You can't say that Swick's chin is worse because Davis was clearly KO'd against Taylor. Swick hasn't shown any sort of weak chin inside the Octagon. Swick will win on Points.

He was rocked, but he wasn't knocked out or the fight would of been stopped, wouldn't it? Davis is the Chris Leban of the Middleweight division, with the heavy hands an all, minus the attitude and the limited ground game. So if a wild Leban can catch him, I'll give a technical boxer with just as much power a hell of a chance to catch Swick.
Violence108
3/22/08 1:47:10PM
Davis wins this fight anywhere it goes, Swick should go back up to MW beacuse the ufc needs more middle weight fighters.
tberg420
3/22/08 1:59:44PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by tberg420

He was rocked, but he wasn't knocked out or the fight would of been stopped, wouldn't it? Davis is the Chris Leban of the Middleweight division, with the heavy hands an all, minus the attitude and the limited ground game. So if a wild Leban can catch him, I'll give a technical boxer with just as much power a hell of a chance to catch Swick.

I just think that Davis gets a lot of credit for beating average fighters. Who was Davis's last credible win over? Davis couldn't match punching power with Leben. I'm still not sure if Swick will Decision or Sub Davis but the winning streak stops soon.
Aaronno9
3/22/08 2:34:37PM
I think swick has one of the most underrated ground games in the ufc. I dont know what his gameplans going to be in this fight, he could stand with davis if he makes the most out of his reach, but i dont think thats really a good idea becouse he only needs to clip you once to end a fight. I think swick is going to pull of a submission in the 2nd.
nickcuc547
3/22/08 3:59:23PM

Posted by tberg420

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Posted by tberg420

I just think that Davis gets a lot of credit for beating average fighters. Who was Davis's last credible win over? Davis couldn't match punching power with Leben. I'm still not sure if Swick will Decision or Sub Davis but the winning streak stops soon.

i agree, look at who davis has fought, swick is his first big test.
coldchillin
3/22/08 4:14:23PM
unless Swick's height proves to be a problem for Davis... I can see Swick trying to swing with Davis because of his poor performance against Burkman and getting caught by a Irish Hand Grenade and getting put to sleep somewhere in the late 1st round.
CornishMMA
3/23/08 8:35:09AM

Posted by wolfman

What was wrong with this thread...http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic16912-1.html Which was also posted today??? Seriously people, I know we all make this mistake of posting similar topics, but how hard is it to use the search feature or better yet, to check today's topics?!

but i think we should just give up, im sure this thread will sink and then another will be made closer to the time of the fight, just wish people would do proper polls!!! that info is on the stats page if you wanna see who people think will win, the polls are good to see how they will win

IN FACT lets kill this thread and make the other one supercede it as it has a better poll and more posts in it, should be moved from the game talk forum soon, post in that instead of here i think
sonicsmokesweed
3/23/08 7:16:46PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Davis ground game is underrated so I don't think Swick will have a ton of advantage on the ground except positioning and transitioning from basic wrestling. Swick wants an impressive performance anyway so he'll be aiming for the KO.

IMO Davis's chin > Swicks chin as Swick has a KO loss to Leban and Marcus hits just as hard. I'm going Marcus KO in the 2nd.

I agree Davis is going to test Swicks chin. Swicks Chin havent been tested since the Leben fight. David Louisea practically ran and neither landed anything signiificant ans was basicaly runnin frum eachother da whole time. But Burkman cracked Swick a few good times he kept comin so iuno, but im going wit Davis K.O. Rnd 1 may be pushin it a lil but o well
pv3Hpv3p
3/24/08 9:42:42AM
OK... I see a lot of people saying that "Davis has never really been tested"... But has Swick? His biggest win was against Louisou... And that was clearly in the decline of David's career... he has only one win since then, and has looked pretty aweful in the fights I've seen...

Then the loss to Okami... A win against Riggs (who's 4-4 in the UFC, but has a name I guess)... And then the list gets pretty thin... Not saying he's a bad fighter or anything, just think some of the hype may be getting to people because he normally ends fights in an exciting way... Much of the same reason that people are such Marcus Davis fans...

I think it's pretty simple... Swick can beat Davis on the ground, but only has a punchers chance standing, and not a very good one at that... Davis will own the standup in this fight, no doubt about it...

Lol, at the guy who said Davis was KO'd in the Taylor fight... That sounds like some serious anti-fan type shit man... Lol... KO'd in a fight, then comes back to win by submission, riiiight.... that's the most rediculous thing I've heard all day
tberg420
3/24/08 10:22:43AM
Davis was very lucky that fight wasn't stopped. Plenty of fighters have been KO'ed by a shot and then woken up by another shot. Tito Ortiz stated that he was knocked out by a Vitor shot and then woken up by another punch after that. You can't use the lame Loiseau wasn't the same fighter reason because David was coming off going 5 Rounds against Franklin in a slug fest. David was 4-2 inside the Octagon when he took that fight. You blow off a fight against Okami as nothing which is ridiculous because Okami is a Top Ten Middleweight and most likely to get a shot at Anderson Silva next. While I don't think that it was a great win but most people said that Joe Riggs heavy hands would KO Swick as well and that didn't happen. I don't hate Davis by the way, I just don't jump on fighters bandwagons because they have beaten average competition. If Davis wins this fight then it's a step in the right direction for him gaining a title shot but both fighters still need to fight someone in the Top 10.
wolfman
3/24/08 10:46:10AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by wolfman

but i think we should just give up, im sure this thread will sink and then another will be made closer to the time of the fight, just wish people would do proper polls!!! that info is on the stats page if you wanna see who people think will win, the polls are good to see how they will win

IN FACT lets kill this thread and make the other one supercede it as it has a better poll and more posts in it, should be moved from the game talk forum soon, post in that instead of here i think

LMAO That thread was deleted...Even though it was posted before this one and had the better poll, I am speechless.
bls1919
3/24/08 11:30:31PM
this is going to be a knock down drag out stand up WAR. Reminiesent of Stout vs Fischer 2 i think Davis will gut out a UD against Swick.
CornishMMA
3/25/08 7:30:57AM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by wolfman

LMAO That thread was deleted...Even though it was posted before this one and had the better poll, I am speechless.

WTF dude, man this really annoys me, actually there may be an even older one thats still better, il search for it

I just hate having to post the same thing over and over again when these threads get duplicated! It is in the rules ffs

OK HERE IT IS

That threads last post was less than a month ago and was only on page 7 (prolly page 5 at the time the 2 new ones were created ) again it has a BETTER poll than this one and MORE posts, surely it should supercede it?
jiujitsufreak74
3/25/08 5:24:55PM
my take on this fight which i have posted a few times already (keep in mind i am a huge Davis fan):

i see Swick looking to trade with Davis. maybe for the first half of the first round, you will see the reach of Swick frustrating Marcus just a little. then, when he feels comfortable i see him getting past the reach and unloading some serious flurries. i can't see Swick KOing Davis. i don't know why some people question his chin, he was a pro boxer for many years and his only MMA loss to TKO was from a cut. granted he was dropped by Paul Taylor, but Taylor is an excellent kickboxer and he hit him with a well placed head kick that Marcus recovered from very quickly. he was able to pull off the armbar in that situation anyway. also, i can't see Swick submitting Marcus. Marcus' JJ is very underrated and a lot of people don't realize that he has been working grappling intensely since a year before TUF because he realized that submission were his weakness. i feel that is not the case anymore and i believe that Marcus' JJ is good enough not to get subbed, and maybe even good enough to get a submission if it hits the ground. i can't see Swick winning this fight, he just isn't powerful or quick enough in this division. i also see Marcus winning a UD similar to his fight with Forrest Petz, and if not then a 3rd round KO for Marcus. Swick is going to try and come out fast and exciting to make up for his last fight, and with that mentality he will walk into a flurry world class punches that will hurt him badly if he is not careful.