David Loiseau joins Jackson's camp

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » David Loiseau joins Jackson's camp
Next Page »
ffforgottenx
2/20/07 11:10:44AM
another interesting story..

link

i think itll be a good move for loiseau.. jackson's is a great camp, so they can only make good fighters that much better.. i'll be interested to see how he progresses in his next fight..
madmarck
2/20/07 11:27:36AM
This is bad........... For GSP. If Diego needs a training partner for a fight with GSP. The Crow will be his first pick IMO. Daivd fights exaclty like GSP.
Not that anybody at 170 has a chance against GSP.
But i think this will benefit the Crow. He hasnt been the same since he lsot to Franklin. and i think this camp will give him that little extra kick to get back into the swing.
Trapt1nw0nder
2/20/07 4:43:22PM
Loiseau has all the skill already,he just needs the heart...and there is no training for that
Snacks
2/20/07 4:52:20PM

Posted by madmarck

This is bad........... For GSP. If Diego needs a training partner for a fight with GSP. The Crow will be his first pick IMO. Daivd fights exaclty like GSP.
But i think this will benefit the Crow. He hasnt been the same since he lsot to Franklin. and i think this camp will give him that little extra kick to get back into the swing.

...What?
waylon_o
2/20/07 5:02:28PM

Posted by madmarck

That's a very good point...props to you. GSP and Louisea have not only trained with each other for years, they are best friends...or were best friends haha.
xthe_scottx
2/20/07 6:28:09PM
First off, Loiseau and GSP are not exactly alike. They both have great striking skills and choose to stand but thats it. GSP is a much better wrestler than Loiseau with better submissions and if Loiseau is on the ground, he will pretty much only GnP IMO.

Second, I'm very excited to hear this. I love watching Loiseau and I think help from Jackson's MMA will really improve all aspects of his ground game and mentally put him where he needs to be. It seems like it has been a while since Loiseau has been a major contender at 185 at this should give him the edge he needs to get back into the higher middleweight rankings.
nate22
2/20/07 6:46:04PM

Posted by madmarck

I think this is the most stacked ufc division and plenty have a chance at GSP.
hippysmacker
2/20/07 7:20:01PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

First off, Loiseau and GSP are not exactly alike. They both have great striking skills and choose to stand but thats it. GSP is a much better wrestler than Loiseau with better submissions and if Loiseau is on the ground, he will pretty much only GnP IMO.

Second, I'm very excited to hear this. I love watching Loiseau and I think help from Jackson's MMA will really improve all aspects of his ground game and mentally put him where he needs to be. It seems like it has been a while since Loiseau has been a major contender at 185 at this should give him the edge he needs to get back into the higher middleweight rankings.

I agree, GSP is afar more well rounded fighter IMO. Loiseau needs to be somewhere where he goes back to being explosive and pushing the pace. I agree he has not been thesame since the Franklin fight, and needs a whole new outlook. The only negative in this scenario for me is he now probably won't fight Marquardt or VIllasenor. Marquardt actually has atitle shot in the UFC soon, so that would limit his ability to go back there. Villasenor is in EliteXC with Loiseau right now. I don't know if either of them have exclusive contracts but the only other 185 lb. guys I have heard of being affiliated with them are F.Shamrock, Renzo, and Ninja. I know he just fought Villasenor , which is kind of unique considering they will be teammates now. Hope he get's better and becomes a contender again somewhere.
ffforgottenx
2/20/07 7:57:06PM

Posted by Snacks

Posted by madmarck

...What?

i agree.. what?? loiseau fights just like GSP? i strongly disagree sir.. almost every aspect of GSP's game is better than loiseau's.. his standup is great and doesnt rely mainly on muay thai elbows to cut opponents open and win the fight.. and if it goes to the ground.. well, we will just see how the first american black belt under renzo gracie (matt serra, for those of you who didnt know) does against GSP, and then we will decide..
OB_Juan
2/20/07 8:25:50PM

Posted by madmarck

What you talkin 'bout, Willis?!

On topic, good for Dave. If you can't beat em (as in Joey), then join em.
Stickan
2/20/07 9:05:28PM
Great move by Loiseau. More fighters should follow this example. For example Kevin Randleman who should've done it years ago and left that damn Hammer House. What's he doing with all those wrestlers and steroids. He needs the stand-up and the JJ.... but now it's too late....damn!

sry got off topic but great move by David and hopefully we'll see him start out strong from now on instead of just pouring it on in the last round.
madmarck
2/20/07 10:49:27PM
OKay Maybe GSP and the Crow arent exactly alike. I mean The Crow is Black and Rush is White.
What i mean was that their GNP techniguqes are the same (massive use of elbows) and their striking is pretty much the same (unorthodox kicks, Good Jab).

You guys kinda flipped at me for that one.
But hey just cuz one guy is from Montreal and one is from Haiti. Doesnt mean they arent the same. They are both bald right?
hippysmacker
2/21/07 12:17:12AM

Posted by madmarck

OKay Maybe GSP and the Crow arent exactly alike. I mean The Crow is Black and Rush is White.
What i mean was that their GNP techniguqes are the same (massive use of elbows) and their striking is pretty much the same (unorthodox kicks, Good Jab).

You guys kinda flipped at me for that one.
But hey just cuz one guy is from Montreal and one is from Haiti. Doesnt mean they arent the same. They are both bald right?

That was comedy, both bald
ac_gi
2/21/07 1:39:04AM
It’s funny that the similarities between David and GSP are brought up.

I wanted to add the spinning back kick to my own personal arsenal recently. I remembered that GSP and David have both been effective with the spinning back kick. After watching several fights I noticed that GSP will remain planted and David jumps in the air while doing his. They are both effective yet slightly different.

However, they are very similar fighters. GSP is just better.
aceprone
2/21/07 3:27:46AM
I personally think that David Loiseau joining Jackson team, is exactly the team he needs to be in to get his "heart" back. Because everyone on that team has massive heart and great killer instinct. The two qualities David has been lacking. I really think Jackson team can really bring that mental game back to Loiseau. When ever you hear an interview with fighters who trains with Jackson, all they talk about is their training in mental confidence, for example, by running in the snow, in the middle of a blizzard. If that doesn't give you some confidence I don't know what will. It work with Rocky in Russia...bad joke...I know.
Svartorm
2/21/07 5:07:15AM
I agree that he should probably switch up camps. Not to say fighters should change camps like underwear, but there comes a point where you've pretty well picked up everything you're going to get in a camp, and when you're not progressing (i.e staying ahead of the MMA pack), its not a bad idea to branch out.

Someone mentioned Randleman, and I couldn't agree more. Also, a lot of dudes in the Lion's Den have been there forever and aren't becoming better fighters. If you're still toiling away as a B ranked fighter after ten years, maybe its time to see what another school offers.
madmarck
2/21/07 10:51:52PM

Posted by Svartorm

I agree that he should probably switch up camps. Not to say fighters should change camps like underwear, but there comes a point where you've pretty well picked up everything you're going to get in a camp, and when you're not progressing (i.e staying ahead of the MMA pack), its not a bad idea to branch out.

Someone mentioned Randleman, and I couldn't agree more. Also, a lot of dudes in the Lion's Den have been there forever and aren't becoming better fighters. If you're still toiling away as a B ranked fighter after ten years, maybe its time to see what another school offers.

It also depends on the Camp. Like Hammer House is just Wrestling and those guys need to diverse big time. The Lions Den is the Same way it is just basically Submission wrestling.

Greg Jacksons camp however is just the like Temple of well roundeness. Look at the fighters who train there. Rashad and Keith with good strieks.
Diego, Joey got good GNP. Nate is sick at ground in general.
Not to mention the trainers he must have down there. I think if a Camp Brings in the right trainers fighters dont need to leave it. But if it is a Hammerhouse Wrestling squad who just happen to do MMA i think they are in trouble.
Svartorm
2/22/07 1:08:41AM
It depends on how the game is evolving as well though. The Lion's Den used to be a premier camp back in the late 90's, with dudes like Pete Williams, Tra Telligman, Tony Galindo etc. Its just their training methods didn't evolve.

Who knows, maybe in ten years, we'll talk about MFS like we talk about Hammerhouse now, and rave about Wes Sims School of MMA.
madmarck
2/22/07 8:33:14AM

Posted by Svartorm

It depends on how the game is evolving as well though. The Lion's Den used to be a premier camp back in the late 90's, with dudes like Pete Williams, Tra Telligman, Tony Galindo etc. Its just their training methods didn't evolve.

Who knows, maybe in ten years, we'll talk about MFS like we talk about Hammerhouse now, and rave about Wes Sims School of MMA.

I dont think we will ever Rave about Wes Sims. If anyone starts it just mention how this guy got KO'd by Frank Mir. Nothing against Mir he just really really isnt known for his stand up.
joesmouta
3/2/07 10:55:34AM
First of all...BIG Loiseau fan!
His loss to Franklin just destroyed his confidence. He has, and all of you will agree, be very different ever since. He is reluctant and at times fearful. This change will surely make him a better fighter. Hell, even if it gets him back to where he was the move is worth it. I'm pulling for him.
GSP has nothing to worry about. David would probably never sell his buddy's secrets. In fact, I don't even think it would matter. GSP is an animal. Just ask Matt.
cowcatcher
3/2/07 1:49:58PM
the guy needed to do something, if he doesnt win again soon hes gonna be remembered as a guy that could only win if he cut someone
Dadaman
3/11/07 11:53:40AM
Didn't Dave just fight Joe Villasenor who is in Jackon's camp?
tapoutking28
6/27/07 9:01:03PM
iMO GSP is just a great athleit and a great fighter but bhis camp is not that good.
hippysmacker
6/27/07 9:34:36PM

Posted by tapoutking28

iMO GSP is just a great athleit and a great fighter but bhis camp is not that good.

Sanchez, Evans, Jardine, Garcia, GsP, Villasenor, Page, Marquardt, and now Loiseau. I think that's a pretty good camp. By the way, what made you decide to rehash a thread months old?
Playground_Samurai
6/27/07 10:49:01PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by tapoutking28

Sanchez, Evans, Jardine, Garcia, GsP, Villasenor, Page, Marquardt, and now Loiseau. I think that's a pretty good camp. By the way, what made you decide to rehash a thread months old?

Right? Didn't anybody know GSP trains with the jackson camp also?

And while we're on the subject, doesn't it seem like a lot of the guys who have jackson in there corner have been losing lately? Really unlucky streak for them. GSP, Diego, Jardine, Villasenor. What's going on there?

Hope Marquardt and Evans can turn it around for them seeing as I chose them both at 73.
hippysmacker
6/27/07 11:38:05PM
I just said the same thing to my roommate yesterday. Was the " Hot" camp 6 monmhs ago. Still a great camp IMO though
pv3Hpv3p
6/28/07 2:40:31AM

Posted by Svartorm

You know the old saying, if you're the best guy in your camp then you're not going to be improving much more (or however that goes, to be honest I'm not good with sayings)... While the trainers one has in camp are very important, the training partners one has are what will really make the difference...

Just to throw in my $0.02... GSP and Dave's fighting styles are really not that alike... I think Georges has the much more well rounded technique, knowledge of the game, and all around athleticism... While Louisou (how the hell do you spell Louisou? I think I'll stick with Dave) was a contender in a then very iffy MW div, he just doesn't have that "x-factor" (sorry for the cliche)
Rush
6/28/07 10:00:18AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Just to throw in my $0.02... GSP and Dave's fighting styles are really not that alike... I think Georges has the much more well rounded technique, knowledge of the game, and all around athleticism... While Louisou (how the hell do you spell Louisou? I think I'll stick with Dave) was a contender in a then very iffy MW div, he just doesn't have that "x-factor" (sorry for the cliche)

I agree. GSP is more well rounded, but also more aggressive, whereas I think Loiseau had more power and was stronger in the clinch. At least that is what GSP said at the seminar I attended.

As for the spelling on Loiseau

It's more like "Le oiseau" meaning the bird, which can be shortened to L'oiseau and you just drop the apostrophe.

I've seen a lot of French last names like this, for example Leframboise (The raspberry)
pv3Hpv3p
6/28/07 10:50:29AM

Posted by Rush

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I agree. GSP is more well rounded, but also more aggressive, whereas I think Loiseau had more power and was stronger in the clinch. At least that is what GSP said at the seminar I attended.

As for the spelling on Loiseau

It's more like "Le oiseau" meaning the bird, which can be shortened to L'oiseau and you just drop the apostrophe.

I've seen a lot of French last names like this, for example Leframboise (The raspberry)

There was a point where I thought Loiseau looked like he had a lot of promise... But it seems like something broke inside him after that war with Rich and he hasn't been the same since. Hopefully this change of scenery will instill more confidence in him... I think the EliteXC is putting together a really good 185lbs div.

My first language is a slavic tongue, and we use lots of constanants... Where as it seems to me, many of the romance language use a lot of vowels... To be honest I don't know if that's a true statement, but anyway I look at it I'm a horseshit speller in any language I try to do it in... =/
Rush
6/28/07 11:17:39AM
French has insane dipthongs with like 3 or 4 vowels in a row. German is sometimes the opposite with many consenants in a row.

Like (French)
Longueuil

(German)
pflantz
Pages: [1] 2