Most Dangerous Sport???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Most Dangerous Sport???
POLL: Which sport is the most dangerous???
MMA 6% (2)
Boxing 39% (13)
Football 33% (11)
Baseball / Softball 0% (0)
Basketball 3% (1)
Hockey 18% (6)
dustyp
7/1/08 7:01:13PM
Man dies after assault at softball gamehttp://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8302034/Man-dies-after-assault-at-softball-game
A softball player accused of fatally punching a rival team member after a recreational league game spent more than four years in prison for battering a man with a golf club, according to state records..............

I know this is not mma related. But as a fan of MMA it always irks me that when ever MMA is brought up in mainstream media they always play the violence card or is is too dangerous. Well it is offical MMA is now tied with softball in game related deaths with one. Parents around the world are jerking their kids out of softball leagues, because it now just as dangerous as MMA

What do you think is the most dangerous sport ???????

SmileR
7/1/08 7:20:08PM
I think the most deaths in any sport is actually golf. I read somewhere that it has the highest mortality rate of any sport.
I was surprised too but then it went on to explain that the majority of gold players are old and die from natural courses when they are playing the game. e.g. heart attack brought on from stress or over exertion.
Still you get what you deserve if you play golf!
dustyp
7/1/08 7:31:37PM
It is prolly the only sport to have deaths by lightning strike. Which is not that uncommon. Good Point though I should of put that over Basketball
Pookie
7/1/08 7:34:17PM
Horse Racing isnt it?

Or base Jumping i believe.
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/08 7:49:12PM
Fishing is actually the one with the most deaths. just watch MANSWERS, they did a whole segment on it.
Rush
7/1/08 8:32:55PM
Golf and NASCAR have a lot of deaths, but there is also the factor of how people are pysically after they retire from a particular sport. I bet there are some sports where the athletes are pretty messed up after they retire.
Rush
7/1/08 8:34:38PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Fishing is actually the one with the most deaths. just watch MANSWERS, they did a whole segment on it.

I watched the show once. I have to take anything from Spike with a grain of salt.
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/08 8:49:33PM

Posted by Rush

I watched the show once. I have to take anything from Spike with a grain of salt.

yeah, but this one seemed legitimate. they said it was a the fact that a lot of people boat while intoxicated, have boat accidents, drown and other retarded behaviors that people participate in while fishing. it was really the alcohol and the widespread practice of fishing that caused it to have the most deaths. they had statistics, but i don't remember them off hand and i am quite frankly too lazy to look them up again.
Rush
7/1/08 8:53:27PM
What about swimming then? More people drown when swimming than fishing or boating.

That is why I don't take the show seriously. They want things to be dramatic and things will be forgotten or skewed in order to make that effect.
jiujitsufreak74
7/1/08 8:58:06PM

Posted by Rush

What about swimming then? More people drown when swimming than fishing or boating.

That is why I don't take the show seriously. They want things to be dramatic and things will be forgotten or skewed in order to make that effect.

the thing is, swimming isn't considered a sport unless it is a race or a choreographed dance so that discounts most of the deaths by drowning under the "swimming" category. however, fishing is considered a sport (not my personal belief, but the consensus) whenever someone does it so that is why all those drownings, boat accidents and what-knot fall under fishing as sports deaths since they were fishing when it happened. it makes some sense but i agree that it is really nonsensical and more of a technicality that really doesn't answer the question in terms of which sport is most dangerous.
Rush
7/1/08 9:22:17PM

the thing is, swimming isn't considered a sport unless it is a race or a choreographed dance so that discounts most of the deaths by drowning under the "swimming" category. however, fishing is considered a sport (not my personal belief, but the consensus) whenever someone does it so that is why all those drownings, boat accidents and what-knot fall under fishing as sports deaths since they were fishing when it happened. it makes some sense but i agree that it is really nonsensical and more of a technicality that really doesn't answer the question in terms of which sport is most dangerous.

I knew you were going to say that.

My argument is that a bunch of guys drunk on a "fishing trip" is as much a sport to actual sport fishing as swimming/wading in water at the beach is to actual competitive swimming.
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/1/08 9:32:50PM
Softball lol
voodoo-jitsu
7/2/08 12:44:24AM
aussie rules football that sport is rough
hails
7/2/08 8:36:25AM
You guys should look up the sport where the guys takes a few deep breaths and dives down into the ocean as deep as he can go with out passing out!!!

Heaps of people die doing that.

Also diving into the caves is some scary shit!!!

hails
7/2/08 8:46:07AM
Guillaume Nery World Record Free Dive

It is called free dive!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Ojj2XxyMo
MMAcca
7/2/08 2:39:41PM
Lobster potting (ala Deadliest Catch)
DCRage
7/2/08 2:51:07PM

Posted by Rush

Golf and NASCAR have a lot of deaths, but there is also the factor of how people are pysically after they retire from a particular sport. I bet there are some sports where the athletes are pretty messed up after they retire.

Actually, I know from being a fan for the past 12-13 years there actually aren't a lot of deaths in NASCAR, most of the ones I hear about these days are in unaffiliated series like the ones for sprint cars, midgets, etc. (all the smaller cars). The last NASCAR driver killed in a race I can remember in the 3 major national series was Dale Earnhardt Sr. in 2001. Drag racing is far more dangerous, they just had a fatality a couple weeks ago (Scott Kalitta killed in a fiery crash).
ncordless
7/2/08 3:38:37PM

Posted by SmileR

I think the most deaths in any sport is actually golf. I read somewhere that it has the highest mortality rate of any sport.
I was surprised too but then it went on to explain that the majority of gold players are old and die from natural courses when they are playing the game. e.g. heart attack brought on from stress or over exertion.
Still you get what you deserve if you play golf!

My mother's friend died playing golf. She was drinking and not paying attention to where she was. Her other friend, who was teeing off, sliced her drive and struck her friend in the head from 6 feet away.
stock
7/2/08 9:35:24PM

Posted by Rush

Good point. By that standard boxing and football has to be up there. So many boxers end up with some sort of brain damage years after they have retired as well as getting early onset cases of dementia, etc...

There are a ton of deaths from golf, but aren't most of those due to heart attacks and lightning?
RMFG_187
7/2/08 11:25:19PM
as much as i love our sport.

It has to be just a notch under Boxing. the only difference between the two is that MMA has only had (i think) 1-2 deaths. Boxing has 5-6 a year. but MMA fighters seem too have more concussions, and more short term injuries such as broken bones. Boxers have more longterm brain damage, and severe hand damages.