Dana: ''Win Over Alves Will Give Koscheck Title Shot''

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana: ''Win Over Alves Will Give Koscheck Title Shot''
MMAcca
10/19/08 5:20:59AM
Josh Koscheck will find himself back in title contention if he beats Thiago Alves at UFC 90 next week.

Asked by Fighters Only if winning the fight after taking it o two weeks notice would put Koscheck back in the title race, UFC president Dana White said “Yeah, obviously.”

“Obviously Thiago Alves had a couple of big wins, knocking out Karo Parisyan, knocking out Matt Hughes, and Koscheck is the guy who beat Diego Sanchez,” he explained.

Koscheck was offered the fight on just two weeks notice after Sanchez dropped out because of injury.

There had been speculation that Sanchez would be in title contention had he won over Alves, with that speculation passing to Koscheck once he was announced as the replacement opponent.

Koscheck handed Sanchez his first ever loss, with a controversial split decision win over him at UFC 69 last year.

LINK
Khaos
10/19/08 6:57:30AM
I so hope he wins, and doubt he'll take the Yoshida fight(we still do it) if the guarenntee him a title shot.
Gipper
10/19/08 7:08:43AM
hope to see sanchez-yoshida then. i honestly think yoshida would be a tougher fight then alves.
bojangalz
10/19/08 7:54:03AM

Posted by Gipper

i honestly think yoshida would be a tougher fight then alves.

You won't get to see Kos/Yoshida. Kos will be losing next weekend, and won't be cleared to fight Yoshida. He's going to be kicking hiself for taking this fight when it's all said and done.
haggiswashere
10/19/08 8:00:57AM
GSP would destroy koscheck again anyways. i want something knew.
hippysmacker
10/19/08 10:16:38AM

Asked by Fighters Only if winning the fight after taking it o two weeks notice would put Koscheck back in the title race, UFC president Dana White said “Yeah, obviously.”

All he said was thay Kos would be back in the title race. He didn't guarantee him a title shot. Its a misleading thread title, unless theres a whole lot more to the interview than that.
Twenty20Dollars
10/19/08 11:45:47AM
let's not get a head of ourselves, kos still has to win and then wait quite awhile for a shot, like mid next year so idk.
Branwest
10/19/08 12:07:46PM
I hope he still takes the Yoshida fight if he beats Alves. GSP, if he gets past BJ on Superbowl Saturday (the day before SB Sunday) in Febuary, he'll probably fight A.Silva next. Therefore, they could either push the Yoshida/Kos fight back, which is doubtful, replace Kos, or Kos could go ahead with the fight.
If he goes ahead and takes the fight and beats Yoshida, which is a very tough fight for him imo, then his chances of getting a title shot are greatly enhanced. However, even though they would obviously change his gameplan for fighting GSP (if GSP is still the WW champ), I don't think it would matter much. I think GSP would overwhelm Kos again. If GSP doesn't finish the fight, I see it being a 50-45 or 50-44 fight on the scorecards; a UD for GSP.
Still though, although I think Kos's style makes a tougher match for Alves, none of this may matter if Alves wins. We'll see Saturday. Personally, I can't wait. It should be interesting to see how each of them approaches this fight. No doubt, even though Kos's striking has improved, he'll want to take the fight to the ground. Alves will want to keep it standing and use his MT, but may end up having to use his jits off his back, because Kos is a damn good wrestler.
cmb19932
10/19/08 2:30:06PM

You won't get to see Kos/Yoshida. Kos will be losing next weekend, and won't be cleared to fight Yoshida. He's going to be kicking hiself for taking this fight when it's all said and done.

while i disagree u gotta give kos props for taking the fight on such short notice i mean without him who would go in of that callibar
jiujitsufreak74
10/19/08 2:33:21PM

Posted by MMAcca

Koscheck handed Sanchez his first ever loss, with a controversial split decision win over him at UFC 69 last year.

i can't believe i just read this...this reporter better get his damn facts straight. Kos beat Diego by Unanimous Decision and it was in no way controversial.
supatolacyl
10/19/08 2:38:33PM
I hope Alves will get a title fight when he's done throwing kos a beating
prozacnation1978
10/19/08 7:44:21PM
i think either guy wins gets a title shot for sure