Dana White: WEC could drop middleweight and light-heavy divisions

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: WEC could drop middleweight and light-heavy divisions
Focker101
7/2/08 12:14:45PM
World Exteme Cagefighting will likely keep its competing lightweight and welterweight divisions, but the organization's middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions could be folded into its sister company, the UFC.

LINK
bullettdodger
7/2/08 12:17:38PM
Sucks for Brian Stain (speling of last name....) the guy who just beat Doug Marshall for the WEC LHW strap... if the division gets folded into the UFC i see a lot of cuts being made and a lot of guys looking for work in other organizations.
juanez13
7/2/08 12:21:28PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Sucks for Brian Stain (speling of last name....) the guy who just beat Doug Marshall for the WEC LHW strap... if the division gets folded into the UFC i see a lot of cuts being made and a lot of guys looking for work in other organizations.

yea there would be alot of cuts, but im 100% sure that they would keep stann, no way they drop him.
bullettdodger
7/2/08 12:23:25PM
Yeah i don't think they would cut him unless he shows definitively that he can't hang (like 3-4 fights). I just think its kinda disappointing to win a belt in an organization only to have it fold around you and you're thrown into much much deeper water. It would be interesting to see how some of the talent in the WEC does with a shot in the UFC
DCRage
7/2/08 12:26:31PM
Obviously I'd be most interested in how Paulo Filho fares in UFC. This essentially would give them the top 3 MWs right now (Silva, Franklin, Filho) not to mention someone who maybe could beat Silva.
Twenty20Dollars
7/2/08 1:13:10PM
Could help the MW division. Paulo, Chael, Baker and then LHW Champ brian.
Mchubb316
7/2/08 3:00:39PM
The talent pool, and overall number of fighters in the WEC in these divisions, is not deep enough to have competitive fights more than a few a year. The lighter divisions are strong enough to continue to put together good fight cards. This would stimulate the MW division, and add a couple of solid fighters at LHW, but not a title contender.
wrona666
7/2/08 3:52:59PM
Filho would be nice addition to the MW division, but him and Silva have both stated that they wont fight eachother so i dont know how thats going to work out.
Figsak
7/2/08 4:54:47PM
I wish the UFC would set up a minor league venue.

A place where the UFC washouts can stay in the picture, get some TV time, and work their way back up to the big show.

F--K_Luck_AuH2O
7/2/08 4:57:21PM
They should either mkae WEC into the minor leagues of the UFC or drop the promotion completely.
Figsak
7/2/08 5:12:47PM
I thought that awhile ago too, but the WEC has already established itself as a primarily FW and BW venue. Since the UFC doesn't have those WC's it'd be awkward to mash the 2 game plans together. And how would the WEC run well when all their top fighters constantly get plucked away to fight in the UFC?

I think the only way to make this work would be to start a whole new venue with the whole game plan being a minor league from the get go.

Also think the IFL had a good idea with camps being a main focus. Would love to see the UFC become more focused on camps.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/2/08 7:14:38PM
I liked this idea when it was first mentioned.
but yeah pretty much Brian Stann from the lhw and Filho and Sonnen from the middleweight maybe Baker but that's it maybe just maybe Blas Avena but 5 guys tops the rest not so good.
Which is why it's getting cut. All the talent in WEC is in the lighter divisions for sure.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
7/2/08 7:32:12PM
Welcome to the UFC fights

Brian Stann-vs-Eric Shaffer maybe Houston Alexander-to get a win
Bryan Baker-vs- Kendall Grove(made with the intentions of Grove Winning)
Chael Sonnen-vs- Yushin Okami Lookin for a title contender with Sonnen if he wins
Paulo Filho-vs-Alan Belcher(for the easy win and time and to see what happens with Sonnen and okami-likely feed Sonnen to the wolves first, Give time to build up Filho)
Blas Avena-vs- Ed Herman(made with the intentions of Herman winning)
imanidiot777
7/2/08 9:07:27PM
Chael Sonnen has the potential to be a beast anywhere and Filho has a great chance to rebound, those two would definitely boost the middleweight division.
rabbit915
7/2/08 9:15:11PM

Posted by wrona666

Filho would be nice addition to the MW division, but him and Silva have both stated that they wont fight eachother so i dont know how thats going to work out.

Even if he wont fight Silva, (and im still convinced that they will if both of them are on huge winning streaks in the UFC and theres enough money involved) would you not want to see Filho-Hendo or Filho-Franklin?
oleg
7/2/08 9:37:59PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Stann is the only one from that division that UFC will keep for sure.
Figsak
7/2/08 10:43:37PM
They'd be missing out on alot of talent if they didn't keep

Steve Cantwell
Brian Stann
Joe Doerkson
Chael Sonnen
Paulo Filho

EliasG
7/3/08 12:25:14AM
Brian Stann is quite a story. I don't think they have ever done an expose on that cat but if he gets cut from WEC then he should get picked up by EliteXC. Imagine the story CBS will do on him for background before he fights....soaring violins, flags, the guy is a real Capt. America that plays to a national audience even more than it does to regular fight audiences.
Figsak
7/3/08 12:19:59PM
The guy looks like a Ken doll. A very angry Ken doll who wants to rip everyones heads off.

He'd definately be in the top 5 guys in the LHW division I wouldn't take a big check to get in the ring with.

ANNNND IN THIS CORNER! BRIAN STANN!!!!! *crowd* RAAAAAWWWWWWRR!

RAWWWWWWWRRRRR!!!!

AND IN THIS CORNER, STANDING IN A PUDDLE OF HIS OWN PISS AT 6FT 1INCHES TALL, 220LBS AND CRYING FOR HIS MOTHER... FIGSAK!!!!

*crickets*
jiujitsufreak74
7/3/08 12:27:07PM

Posted by Figsak

They'd be missing out on alot of talent if they didn't keep

Joe Doerkson

they cut Joe after his last loss. but the others i agree deserve a a few shots in the UFC