Dana White warming to women's MMA, likely to add one more division to UFC in the future

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White warming to women's MMA, likely to add one more division to UFC in the future
lohmann
8/22/12 4:48:13AM
UFC President Dana White believes the organization will soon add one more division to its ranks, and he's comfortable stating that it won't be super heavyweight.

And while White has previously stated he believes that new division will most likely be at 115 pounds, the UFC boss now says the continued success of Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has him second-guessing his stance on women's MMA.

"I am warming up to women's MMA," White said on Tuesday during a Metro PCS-hosted fan chat.

"I don't think I've been too shy about what I think about Ronda Rousey," White said. "She just looked impressive, and not only did she look impressive on Saturday night, her numbers killed it on Showtime, too. Ronda Rousey is a star."

So where does that leave women in their quest to grace the octagon? That remains to be seen. While White was recently quoted as saying he could envision Rousey becoming the first woman to compete in the UFC, he later made sure to clarify that statement was purely "hypothetical."

But as he has in previous open forums, White stated on Tuesday that the UFC would likely add one more division to its ranks before shutting down the growth of its weightclasses. And while the UFC boss has previously claimed that would likely be at 115 pounds, he gave pause when asked if 115-pounders or women were most likely to get the final nod.

"Either," White said.

link
DancingDoll
8/22/12 8:52:19AM
I would *much* rather see women fighting in the octagon than 115 lb men. I don't think they need to take things down to 115. The lighter weight-classes don't hold the same appeal as far as fans/PPV as it is and I can't imagine the talent pool would be particularly deep at that weight class. Bring in the girls!
scoozna
8/22/12 10:38:38AM
While i like the lighter weight classes, like DD said, 115 is probably too light. Do they have any power at that weight? I don't think I've been 115 since I was 16 years old.

I may get flamed for this, but I still question whether there are enough *good* female fighters to populate a weight class or two. I'm guessing Dana still has the same reservations.
DrivenDavies15
8/22/12 1:43:51PM
If he wants to add a womens division i'm fine with that, it would be cool. But ANY other division i would be thoroughly pissed off with adding. Nobody has any interest in 115 at all.
Gogoplatapus
8/22/12 10:01:07PM
115 over women's all day.
aussiemma
8/22/12 10:55:22PM
All these little guys with small man syndrome would finally have something to strive for...sure there is plenty of talent out there at 115.
As for the women, it's a little bit harder because how many fights with women in them would you want to see per fight card ? 1 or maybe 2 ? how many women would be under contract with only 1 fight per card ?
I personally would not like to see more than1 fight per card with women..nothing against them but i don't find it even close to entertaining as the men's.
prophecy033
8/22/12 11:23:30PM
If they were to add a women's division, best believe they would find women to sign. Some people were saying the same thing about the BW division, not enough good fighters at that division but we found out that's not the case. There are enough women we just don't know them yet
tcunningham
8/22/12 11:24:59PM
i cant say im too excited for either. 115lbs is just to small, and womans MMA is still behind the times. when they finally fold strikeforce, then MAYBE bring the girls in, but no sooner than that.
aussiemma
8/22/12 11:33:07PM

Posted by prophecy033

If they were to add a women's division, best believe they would find women to sign. Some people were saying the same thing about the BW division, not enough good fighters at that division but we found out that's not the case. There are enough women we just don't know them yet

just curious, how many women fights would you like to see on each card ? no offence intended but i don't think you can compare the bw division to women's fighting. Im not arguing that the women's division can't be competitive but how many people would really want to see it and how much of it.
prophecy033
8/22/12 11:55:05PM

Posted by aussiemma

Posted by prophecy033

just curious, how many women fights would you like to see on each card ? no offence intended but i don't think you can compare the bw division to women's fighting. Im not arguing that the women's division can't be competitive but how many people would really want to see it and how much of it.

You're really not gonna be able to compare any men's and women's MMA in terms of interest. I was giving an example of another situation where people said they didn't think there was enough talent. And as far as women's fights on a card, how bout we start with one and go from there. Max maybe 2 a card but that would be FAR down the road. But I'm a fan of women's MMA so I feel it could work.
aussiemma
8/22/12 11:59:25PM
fair