Dana White wants Rory MacDonald to face Robbie Lawler next

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White wants Rory MacDonald to face Robbie Lawler next
FastKnockout
7/31/13 10:27:53PM
Just a few days following UFC on Fox 8, Dana already has plans for the two main card Welterweights.

Link
sparky
7/31/13 10:33:31PM

Great match up both guys are dangerous in their own way and are on a little winning streak. Whoever comes out the winner in this one is no doubt a top contender in the WW division.
TerrorofsesameST
7/31/13 10:44:44PM
Be a sick match up, but I still wanted Rory vs Erick Silva.
isk
7/31/13 10:49:10PM
Man, this is clearly showing who's liked by Dana at the moment.

Rory Mac looked to be the new hotness after the destructions of Nate Diaz and BJ Penn. Great strength, impressive skill, and a patience not often seen in a young guy. That favorable impression has taken a considerable hit following the Ellenberger fight. Personally, I like it a little bit when a fighter defends a smart strategy - it shows they're not just company men, and that they've got their own ideas about things. That independent stubbornness can mark the kind of resolve a champion needs, even though it may not be popular all the time.

On the other hand, Robbie Lawler is definitely on Dana's good side at the moment. And why shouldn't he be? Destroyed a gifted athlete in Josh Koscheck, mauled a respected veteran in Jacob Voelker, and he did so by taking the opportunities given to him. Not quite the opposite approach of Rory, but certainly contrasting against measured caution.

Robbie's big at 170, too, though it's more of an athlete's strength, a striker's strength than a grappler's one. Those are 2 different kinds of power, and we haven't seen how Lawler can hang against a big WW wrestler in a long time - and for the record, I'm not counting Koscheck because he's on the leaner side of 170, nor am I counting Shields whose takedowns are more technical than powerful.

This is one of those sensible, question-answering fights that should happen.
Copenhagen
7/31/13 11:16:49PM
Rory can get the title shot without having to face anyone in the top 5 is how I read the thread title at first.
Definitely want to see this fight though.
traveller77
8/1/13 12:00:43AM
Lawlor wont make Ellenberger's mistake, this could be an exciting short fight, and stops the GSP matchup talk for a while.
Playground_Samurai
8/1/13 12:13:39AM
I love Robbie but I think Rory would win this fight decisively.
DrivenDavies15
8/1/13 12:30:14AM
Would be a fun one. As far as the top contenders at 170 I like this fight for Lawler the best
prozacnation1978
8/1/13 12:37:43AM
My guess for fox Dec card

If Lawler wins give him a title shot
tallica62
8/1/13 12:47:53AM
Because Dana wants Lawler to knock his head off

However, due to MacDonalds well rounded game and ability to fight a "boring" but "smart" fight, I'll take him to win...but I would love to see a Lawler head knock off KO
jae_1833
8/1/13 1:05:28AM
If Rory doesn't make up for his last fight then I will done with him. I don't think Robbie has a boring fight chromosome in his DNA.
ChrisSabal
8/1/13 3:22:39AM
I like the fight and I like that Lawler is getting a top contender but I see Rory taking this one pretty easily.
Theoutlaw08
8/1/13 10:21:03AM
Dana wants Lawler to Knock Rory's block off. And after Rory's last performance I kind of hope he does. I'll be pulling for Lawler in this one.
postman
8/1/13 12:25:50PM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

I love Robbie but I think Rory would win this fight decisively.

I'm with you. Robbie looked nice on saturday but he beat Bobby Volker. No offense to him but he's not exactly a UFC caliber fighter. Rory on the other hand is a monster who is only getting better.
GDPofMPG
8/1/13 12:53:33PM
KNee jerk matchmaking. Don't like it. Would rather see Rory in a real title eliminator, don't think Lawler should be in a match like that just yet. I like Robbie against the winner of Nate vs Hector still and Rory against Condit vs Kampmann winner.
Manak
8/1/13 4:05:50PM
geez the tide turned quick on Rory after one bad showing
Bubbles
8/1/13 10:04:51PM
Lawler is no where near where Rory is. Rory will run right through Lawler (probably Che Mills style) and be just as close to the title as he is right now.
ry_dawg63
8/2/13 12:58:48PM
I'd have to disagree. Robbie is more dangerous striker then Ellenberger. Ellenberger is more well rounded and can use his takedowns to dictate where the fight goes. And had he done what he did in the 3'd alittle earlier against Rory he probably would have won that fight.that being said I think this is a close fight and if Rory tries to take it slow like he did in the third round Robbie will knock his head off.
Bubbles
8/3/13 7:02:17AM

Posted by ry_dawg63

I'd have to disagree. Robbie is more dangerous striker then Ellenberger. Ellenberger is more well rounded and can use his takedowns to dictate where the fight goes. And had he done what he did in the 3'd alittle earlier against Rory he probably would have won that fight.that being said I think this is a close fight and if Rory tries to take it slow like he did in the third round Robbie will knock his head off.

any competent grappler will beat Lawler (unless theres an early stoppage, ie Koscheck). Rory will take him down and get the stoppage within 2 rounds
isk
8/3/13 8:36:53AM
I don't know, man. Lawler's takedown defense is on point if he is mentally on point. Which, frankly, he wasn't in Strikeforce. He was there because it was convenient, because they loved him, and because they paid him well. In other words, he was super comfortable but not super competitive.

Just look at his physique, then (click me) vs now (click me) . That's not just lighting - that's a guy who looks to be the same general size, but in 2 different weight classes and in equally different shape.

Now, it's entirely possible that MacDonald's too much for Lawler, that a combination of rangy jabs and powerful grappling will dictate the match. But at this point in Lawler's career, I think he realizes both just how special of an athlete he is, and that he can be more than a guy who hits hard. I wouldn't at all be surprised if he sprawls on MacDonald every time, or if he times a flying knee to the nose as Rory shoots in with a double leg.
ry_dawg63
8/6/13 12:58:21PM

Posted by Bubbles

Posted by ry_dawg63

any competent grappler will beat Lawler (unless theres an early stoppage, ie Koscheck). Rory will take him down and get the stoppage within 2 rounds

id have to disagree with you on that. Robbies ttd has been looking better and better. and to me he seems to have improved everywhere. he is confident and he seems to be growing still as a fighter.I also believe Rory will try to stand with him to prove he's the better technical striker. And that just may be his downfall. Its a really bad match up for him. The number 2 guy in the division fighting a very dangerous number 9th ranked vet. I love the matchup. Robbie got everything to win and nothing to lose.and the exact opposite for Rory.