Dana White: I think Vitor Belfort is ready to fight Anderson Silva for title

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: I think Vitor Belfort is ready to fight Anderson Silva for title
scobac
9/20/09 10:04:47AM
DALLAS – The questions that surrounded Vitor Belfort (19-8 MMA, 8-4 UFC) prior to his first trip to the UFC in more than four-and-a-half years mostly centered around which version of "The Phenom" would show up.

Link
jiujitsufreak74
9/20/09 11:30:41AM
let him have at least one round of UFC experience (on this current venture back to the octagon) before you give him Anderson. i think the UFC should build him up a little more from both a promotional stand point and from a fight fan stand point.Henderson/Marquardt should be the next challenger and while i believe Vitor is one of few fighters at 185 that would make me think about not picking Anderson, i don't think it is time for him to get a shot just yet
Igmatheo
9/20/09 12:30:58PM
I'm pretty sure that destroying a former champion, especially the caliber of Rich Franklin, means that building him up is pointless. He's already built up, he's been around for 12 years.

*** although I do think that Marquardt deserves it more.
RyanC
9/20/09 1:18:05PM
They want challengers for Anderson, and so do all the fans. Vitor is probably more likely to beat him than anybody right now. After the whole Hendo/Marquardt thing gets sorted out they may as well throw Vitor in there.
BustedKnuckle
9/20/09 2:23:23PM
Too bad for Dan and Nate but i am very interested in a fight between Silva and Belfort. Two of the most dynamic strikers in the game go head to head!
jiujitsufreak74
9/20/09 2:32:21PM

Posted by Igmatheo

I'm pretty sure that destroying a former champion, especially the caliber of Rich Franklin, means that building him up is pointless. He's already built up, he's been around for 12 years.

but for the casual fan he is not built up enough imo. i would be very hesitant to throw him in against Anderson after less than 5 min of fight on his new run.
Sinister
9/20/09 2:37:34PM
Yea, Rich was easily #3 in that division. Henderson and Silva are the fights Vitor wants. ANything lower isnt as good.
jae_1833
9/20/09 2:38:14PM
I think A. Silva should give the belt up completely and just go on a LHW run, barring retirement or fighting Machida which he says he won't do. Let Hendo and Nate duke it out for the new MW title, then have Belfort and Okami go at it for the #1 contendar spot. The rest of the div will just fall into place nicely after that.
Sinister
9/20/09 2:41:22PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Igmatheo

but for the casual fan he is not built up enough imo. i would be very hesitant to throw him in against Anderson after less than 5 min of fight on his new run.

Marquardt perhaps? If Henderson won't fight him?
Jackelope
9/20/09 2:43:27PM
Seems to me that the brass is convinced Vitor will be the best fight for Anderson, so none of what we say will matter. I can't see any other reason why they could justify pushing him to the front of the title shot picture over Marquardt or Hendo.

It's funny, the UFC spends so much time talking down about competition outside of their own organization, and then a guy from outside of it comes in only to receive a basically immediate title shot. It's smart of the UFC to do that from a business perspective, but I would hope that this just highlights the rhetoric that the UFC is always putting into gullible UFC nut hugger fans' ears.
mrsmiley
9/20/09 6:49:10PM

Posted by Igmatheo

I gotta agree with you.
Vitor has done plenty in his career to not have to be built up.

I think the thing with Vitor is he's either hot or cold.
In 2 or 3 fights he may fizzle back out,so I think their wanting to make that slug fest happen because Vitor has got his hand on the trigger.
prozacnation1978
9/20/09 8:27:29PM
I agree. Belfort was on fire he. Is the best challenger for silva right now. I wanna see that match way more than any other challenger for silva
SamPan
9/20/09 9:13:38PM
Not me. I wanna see Silva move to HW. Hell annihilate Belfort or any striker his size
Boo_Radley21
9/20/09 10:43:43PM
Sikkkkk Belfort would be a good match up. And he will be the next MW champ.
hotrodttt
9/22/09 5:11:14PM
Great point by JJFreak because it was only a year or two ago when he was fighting nobodies like James Zikik in Cage Rage. And how many casual fans saw Affliction so he pretty much hit the nail on the head. A fight with Dan Henderson would be pointless as he was already flattened by him in Pride but a Fight with maybe the winner of Denis Kang vs Bisping or a Fight with Nate Marquardt would give him more exposure in another high profile fight.
HumanTarget
9/23/09 10:16:05AM
When the **** can we get a serious threat for Anderson? Belfort is a good fighter with some good strikes but come on... you think you're going to knock him out on the feet?