Dana White: UFC on Versus 4 was one of the best cards we've ever done

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: UFC on Versus 4 was one of the best cards we've ever done
pmoney
6/27/11 9:18:10AM
In the wake of UFC on Versus 4: "Kongo vs. Barry" last night (June 26, 2011) in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Octagon boss Dana White had some glowing words of praise for the event.

In fact, he went so far as to say it was one of the best shows his promotion has ever put together.

Whether or not you agree, the very fact that he can even make such a claim is an amazing feat. That's because the entire fight card was ravaged by injuries, not to mention one very high profile suspension.

Article
AchillesHeel
6/27/11 9:32:29AM
Yet more evidence that you can't prejudge a fight card. I hope anyone who decided not to watch because the main event was canceled feels suitably dumb this morning.
Budgellism
6/27/11 10:18:41AM
It was a good card especially all things considered. I wouldn't say one of the best though.
cowcatcher
6/27/11 10:21:47AM

Posted by Budgellism

It was a good card especially all things considered. I wouldn't say one of the best though.

I'm with you, but for once they went out on a high note. Lately the main events have been a little lackluster.
emfleek
6/27/11 10:32:41AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Budgellism

I'm with you, but for once they went out on a high note. Lately the main events have been a little lackluster.

I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10. A good night of fights but nothing overly spectacular outside of the Kongo comeback.
FlashyG
6/27/11 10:40:24AM
Hats off to Kongo, Barry and Dan Miragliotta for altering the entire perception of that card.

If not for that main event, the conversation today would be dominated by complaints about the refereeing.

It really shows the difference in quality between the usual refs for UFC events and the ones assigned by local commissions. Dan is often derided as one of the worst refs in MMA but last night I think the locals could have learned a lot from him.
emfleek
6/27/11 10:47:59AM

Posted by FlashyG

It really shows the difference in quality between the usual refs for UFC events and the ones assigned by local commissions. Dan is often derided as one of the worst refs in MMA but last night I think the locals could have learned a lot from him.

When I saw that Dan was officiating, I kinda did a mental fist pump. I've never been so let down by the refs leading up to that fight. The douchebag that stood Story/Brenneman up when Rick was working for a kimura should be banned from the sport. And the ref that missed the illegal knee? Don't get me started. There's absolutely no feasible way he could've missed that. I can not be convinced otherwise.
cowcatcher
6/27/11 10:59:24AM
Did anyone else notice that the ref that blew the call on the illegal knee was overly vocal in a fight after that? It's like the guy was trying to be this spectacular ref during the later fight to make up for missing the knee. I just wanted him to STFU and let the guys fight. You don't notice the good refs are even there during most fights.
Wolfenstein
6/27/11 11:03:55AM
It was okay...I think maybe Dana is riding a little bit of a high after the Kongo comeback (which was indeed awesome).

Oliveira and Lentz was very entertaining. Oliveira to me is just a very exciting fighter to watch. It's very unfortunate regarding the illegal knee--but one hell of a fight.

I would love to see a rule change regarding knees to a kneeling opponent...I don't think it was the case of Nick Lentz...but it happens all too often that guys use the kneeling position to protect themselves.
emfleek
6/27/11 11:05:22AM

Posted by cowcatcher

Did anyone else notice that the ref that blew the call on the illegal knee was overly vocal in a fight after that? It's like the guy was trying to be this spectacular ref during the later fight to make up for missing the knee. I just wanted him to STFU and let the guys fight. You don't notice the good refs are even there during most fights.

Yep. At one point, I muted my laptop because he was getting on my nerves.
bootyclause
6/27/11 11:09:16AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Budgellism

I'd give it maybe an 8 out of 10. A good night of fights but nothing overly spectacular outside of the Kongo comeback.

but did you see the prelims? the first 5 fights were all awesome.
kingsmasher
6/27/11 11:11:24AM
Well I totally disagree with Dana...Sorry maybe what was on Versus but the event as a whole....Alot of fighters did not show up IMO with cardio and just heart to fight..

Where was Joe daddy? Roberts gassed after one round, where was Doomsday? Morecraft is just sloppy...Kongo saved the night!!!
emfleek
6/27/11 11:26:20AM

Posted by bootyclause

but did you see the prelims? the first 5 fights were all awesome.

They were all finishes, with the exception of Roberts/Attonito, but I wouldn't necessarily call them awesome.
40ouncetpkid
6/27/11 11:39:00AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by FlashyG

When I saw that Dan was officiating, I kinda did a mental fist pump. I've never been so let down by the refs leading up to that fight. The douchebag that stood Story/Brenneman up when Rick was working for a kimura should be banned from the sport. And the ref that missed the illegal knee? Don't get me started. There's absolutely no feasible way he could've missed that. I can not be convinced otherwise.

haha totally agree here. PA was good I guess as Dana said for all the paperwork stuff before and after but their ref's are absolutely terrible. I mean I kinda did like the stand ups but once the hometown fighter got takedowns they were quiet as hell.

Totally agree when I was relieved to see Big Dan. Usually I get nervous because he can usually make a terrible call on any night but for some reason last night he was the freakin man haha
Bubbles
6/27/11 12:12:59PM
pretty good card it turned out to be...being free also helped. i dont think that if it was a PPV Dana would be saying such things. the main event definitely influenced our opinions on the card, but overall it wasnt bad but no where near one of the best

the reffing last night was pretty crappy. illegal knees not being called, standing fighters up when they are working for a submission (further proof these guys need to be educated), Mirgliotta almost pulling a Lavigne, and other things i cant remember.
FastKnockout
6/27/11 12:39:07PM
I didn't have the chance to watch the prelims but the main card was pretty good. Not the best, though.
icantthinkofanything
6/27/11 12:51:02PM
i hope the UFC gets back on basic cable
prozacnation1978
6/27/11 3:50:02PM
Dana white will try to say and sell anything to cover the fiasco this weekend with nate and main event change

If kongo vs barry outcome was any different dana would have not said anything at all