Dana White Uses Rashad Evans Vs. Jon Jones As Proof Jackson's MMA Is Not 'Family'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Uses Rashad Evans Vs. Jon Jones As Proof Jackson's MMA Is Not 'Family'
FastKnockout
4/19/12 3:36:23PM
Greg Jackson and Jackson's MMA have been one of the biggest camps at the center of the teammates not fighting teammates thing. The idea that fighters are "family" or "teammates" who shouldn't fight each other has long bothered UFC president Dana White and he's taken the opportunity to try to prove what nonsense the idea that fighters are family is in the wake of the fallout between Jon Jones, Jackson's MMA and Rashad Evans.

Here's the quote from Yahoo's Cagewriter:

"There is one thing that is an absolute fact, and no matter how often Greg Jackson pumps that family [expletive], Greg Jackson is a [expletive] businessman," White told Cagewriter. "The more top guys he brings in, the more money he makes. There's nothing wrong with Greg Jackson, but he's a [expletive] businessman. Some of these fighters, who ought to know better but don't listen to that [expletive] and don't take it for the crock of [expletive] that it is. These guys need to make the decision where they train based on where they think they'll get the best work and develop the best, and not on this [expletive] crazy idea that you're becoming a part of a family.

"Greg Jackson [expletive] told Rashad this wouldn't happen, that they're family and all that other [expletive], but look what is going on now. Look and see who is at Jackson's and who is not. Train where you think it's going to be best for you and if that's Jackson's, that's fine. Just don't buy into this family [expletive] because there's nothing to it. This is the fight business, not the friend business."

LINK
airkerma
4/19/12 3:51:44PM
Although I am not a huge fan of friends not fighting friends, I understand the reasoning and both points of view. However, as a self proclaimed stats genius, 1 example is not statistically relevant, especially to the point where a sweeping generalization can be made about an entire training camp. Does it seem to me that Jackson dicked Rashad over in favor of the hot young gun? Yes. Does that completely prove that Jackson's mma is not family? No. Dana just wants to point the finger at Jackson. I didn't hear a peep out of him about AKA not being a family when Koscheck left because of trainer issues and that would have been the best time to bring it up, since all he has seemed to want forever is for Kos vs Fitch.
Kpro
4/19/12 5:36:42PM

Posted by airkerma

Although I am not a huge fan of friends not fighting friends, I understand the reasoning and both points of view. However, as a self proclaimed stats genius, 1 example is not statistically relevant, especially to the point where a sweeping generalization can be made about an entire training camp. Does it seem to me that Jackson dicked Rashad over in favor of the hot young gun? Yes. Does that completely prove that Jackson's mma is not family? No. Dana just wants to point the finger at Jackson. I didn't hear a peep out of him about AKA not being a family when Koscheck left because of trainer issues and that would have been the best time to bring it up, since all he has seemed to want forever is for Kos vs Fitch.

Immediately after leaving AKA, Kos said he'd retire before fighting Jon Fitch.
bjj1605
4/19/12 7:19:22PM
I'm usually one of Dana's defenders, but for some reason this is really irritating to me.

I consider my self a martial artist and I still appreciate the "martial arts" in MMA.

In traditional martial arts the dojo is sorta a sacred place and your trying a partners ARE a family of sorts.

Hell, its the same in a lot of boxing gyms.

You build a lot of camaraderie with your training partners and I feel as though Dana is belittling that here.

I'm not exactly opposed to friends fighting friends. If both guys feel that its ok, then who am I to argue?

But I don't think they should force fighters to fight. I respect the guys who say they'd walk away from a title shot or change weight classes to avoid fighting their friends. That's putting relationships before yourself and it shows real character.

Sometimes it sucks for the fans, but fighters are people too. I respect their decisions either way.