Dana White Unexpectedly Gives Donation To Brain Tumor-Stricken Girl

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Unexpectedly Gives Donation To Brain Tumor-Stricken Girl
Next Page »
DCRage
3/2/10 6:29:59AM
While he might look and talk like a typical foul-mouthed coprorate head honcho, UFC President Dana White indeed has a gentler side to him. That became more evident recently when White donated 5000 pounds (about $7500 US) to the family of a 2-year-old girl who has a brain tumor and needs to raise 250,000 pounds for life-saving treatment in America. It should be noted that White has never met the girl or her family.

Article
Jackelope
3/2/10 7:32:58AM
Good stuff Dana
postman
3/2/10 8:08:51AM
Good stuff!
emfleek
3/2/10 8:50:26AM
Very nice. Things like this should be in the news more often.
BigIP
3/2/10 9:03:40AM
$7,500 was a nice gesture; however, I believe he should have given more. This girl needs 250,000 pounds and he only gave 5000? I would have been impressed if he paid for all of it. Look at the amounts Bill Gates gives to charity. Dana could have done better but what he did is obviously better than nothing.
emfleek
3/2/10 9:07:03AM

Posted by BigIP

$7,500 was a nice gesture; however, I believe he should have given more. This girl needs 250,000 pounds and he only gave 5000? I would have been impressed if he paid for all of it. Look at the amounts Bill Gates gives to charity. Dana could have done better but what he did is obviously better than nothing.

I knew it was only a matter of time...

I'd be interested in finding out how much YOU donated.
BigIP
3/2/10 9:15:45AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

I'm not a Billionaire with 7 Ferrari's. I would happily give $50 which is the equivalent of what Dana gave.
SmileR
3/2/10 9:17:31AM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

I'm 100% behind Fleek, how can people bitch and moan about a man who just gave $7000 to a family he's never met!
Its helped out a lot and I'm willing to bet the family are ecstatic with his donation!
emfleek
3/2/10 9:17:47AM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

I'm not a Billionaire with 7 Ferrari's. I would happily give $50 which is the equivalent of what Dana gave.

So you would just get online and find any random charity or special cause to donate to and you would drop $50 without thinking about it or without having any ties to the family/charity/etc.? Just out of the kindness of your heart you'd give away $50 of your own money simply because you read someone's story online?

That's awfully nice of you. My apologies.

SmileR
3/2/10 9:21:43AM

Posted by BigIP

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

He's not a billionaire, he's head of a company thats worth billions. You're right though, Dana should have just given the full amount. He should also give 5 million to Hati because people are suffering there too, and a couple of million to Africa to help get medicine to the kids that are dying there. What about a rather than rasing money for the troops and putting on free fight cards for them just give each one $50 or more.

Screw Dana and his tight fisted ways!!!
scpd400
3/2/10 9:29:41AM
Way to go Dana....
Giant_Ochai
3/2/10 10:15:34AM
Simon Cowell did the same for a little girl except he wrote a check that erased all of the family's medical debt. I'd be rather insulted if some rich guy donated his pocket change and nothing else.
SmileR
3/2/10 10:59:14AM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Simon Cowell did the same for a little girl except he wrote a check that erased all of the family's medical debt. I'd be rather insulted if some rich guy donated his pocket change and nothing else.

Just so I can get this right in my head, you're saying if a man, who you'd never met, pledged $7500 towards your child's operation you'd be insulted?
You must give like 60% of your wage to charity or something to look down on a guy who just helped someone out for no reason other than he wanted to.

You should post exactly how much you donated so we can all be like "**** Dana and his donation Giant_Ochai gave like $40 and thats worth more in the long run because he only earns like $500 a week!"

Grow up and except he did a nice thing for someone he's never met. People bitching about crap like this piss me off more than anything else in the world!
He could have just done nothing when he heard and they'd be even further behind where they are now.
grappler0000
3/2/10 11:07:48AM
While opening this thread, I knew there'd be at least one. I'm not going to get into a pissing contest...I just wish there was a negative props button.
BigIP
3/2/10 11:21:04AM

Posted by SmileR

Posted by emfleek

Posted by BigIP

I'm 100% behind Fleek, how can people bitch and moan about a man who just gave $7000 to a family he's never met!
Its helped out a lot and I'm willing to bet the family are ecstatic with his donation!

I'm not bitching and moaning. I think it's great that he gave $7500. That's more than I have in the bank. I'm just saying I would have been really impressed if he had paid for all of it. They still need 200,000 pounds.
sbulldavid
3/2/10 11:32:44AM
It was better than nothing, for all we know Dana writes checks all the time. We aren't talking about TUF or Rampage, we're talking about Dana making a contribution to girl with a tumor, he could of just as easily looked right past her.
bjj1605
3/2/10 12:05:09PM

Posted by Giant_Ochai

This is a prefect example of hating for no reason. Dana just can't win with some of you people. It's one thing to b**ch and moan about his business decisions or how much he pays fighters, its quite another to complain about the amount of his charity donations.

I for one applaud dana, and because of this thread I would like a negative props button.
Naturaldisaster
3/2/10 2:02:48PM
Dana really cares about the fans, Hes got a good heart. I cant see why anyone could hate him
seanfu
3/2/10 2:09:26PM
If he was doing it out of the niceness of his heart then he would have donated to more than one person and not everyone would have made news. and 7500, are you ******* kidding me? Do you think he rolled up to their house in his $250,000 Lamborghini and delivered the money?

It's all for show. If he and the UFC wanted to do something out of the goodness of their heart they would advertise charities on their ppv's instead of movies about streetfighting. They would donate more than 7,500 which is probably 1/10000 or less of their total profits from most medium ppv's.

It's called PR and it's as false as the boogeyman.
three_days_of_grey
3/2/10 2:43:20PM
Have any of you detractors read the full article, not just that blurb?
1) If it was PR, DW would have made an announcement or had a press release but instead he simply made the donation. It was the girls parents who went to the press. Besides if they really wanted PR, I'm sure they could have found a more news-worthy charities to give to. Jeez, has there been any major disasters lately?? Duh.
2) Does anyone on these boards know the dollar amount that DW donates annually to charity? No, and neither do I.
3) Why don't you raise some money for this dying girl? Maybe you can convince Jay Leno to sell one of his many many vehicles to cover the rest? Maybe Conan since he's being paid to not do anything.
4) DW may make alot of money, but in all likelihood spends alot of money too, just like everyone else. I don't think he goes to sleep at night on a big pile of $100 bills.
5) This came from Dana White, the UFC had nothing to do with it. If you donated money from your checking account, would your employer get credit? Um no.
6) F*ck

-OUT-
SmileR
3/2/10 2:47:07PM

Posted by seanfu

If he was doing it out of the niceness of his heart then he would have donated to more than one person and not everyone would have made news. and 7500, are you ******* kidding me? Do you think he rolled up to their house in his $250,000 Lamborghini and delivered the money?

It's all for show. If he and the UFC wanted to do something out of the goodness of their heart they would advertise charities on their ppv's instead of movies about streetfighting. They would donate more than 7,500 which is probably 1/10000 or less of their total profits from most medium ppv's.

I don't get why people are looking for the worst in this. Dana never mentioned it on the website/T.V or radio yet he's scheming for viewings or its a PR twist.
People should read the actual interview with the "shocked but over the moon" family members.
This has all come about because the family contacted the paper to promote the charity and wanted to thank all the people who have contributed.

Dana was emailed a link by a friend of the sick girls family and sent the donation. No hype surrounding it. No press release. No mention of it in the interviews he gives.

This is the last I'm going to write on this but I hope the people criticizing Dana have the balls to back up what they are saying and have donated themselves!
emfleek
3/2/10 3:06:10PM

Posted by seanfu

Being "PR" would imply that Dana (or his "people") came forward and told the press about it.

The family made it public knowledge. Not Dana or Zuffa.
BigBadAl
3/2/10 3:35:25PM
I do a lot of work for charity but don't like to mention it

No seriously though, fair play to Dana. I like him personally.
cmill21
3/2/10 3:47:36PM
Dana does alot of great things like this. I like who he is when it comes to things like this...no need to get on his case about his short comings in other areas.
Pookie
3/2/10 5:17:04PM
Yeah, like, when i was in middle school there was this pretty girl with rich parents who'd give her money every day for lunch.

One day she walked by me as i was eating my poor peoples free lunch and she offered me her Chocolate milk. So i punched her in the face for not giving me her pizza too.
tdietel01
3/2/10 8:13:44PM
Some of you people are like the media. trying to find the bad in everything! This is nothing but good. Rich people do not need to give anyone anything! It shouldnt be expected of them. and anytime they do it, it is a blessing. he may have "only" given 7,000 but think of how many people will see the story and give money to those people. Props to dana for being awesome and giving money.
NatedawgThaM
3/2/10 8:48:07PM
He definitely could have given more but atleast he gave. That's $7,500 short they would have been. They still have along way to go unless they've picked up a bunch beside Dana that we don't know yet, but you can never hate on somebody for giving. Atleast he shows he cares. Another way he shows his heart besides giving alot of fighters 3-4 chances before he's got to let them go.
RearNakedJoke
3/2/10 11:47:54PM

If he was doing it out of the niceness of his heart then he would have donated to more than one person and not everyone would have made news. and 7500, are you ******* kidding me? Do you think he rolled up to their house in his $250,000 Lamborghini and delivered the money? It's all for show. If he and the UFC wanted to do something out of the goodness of their heart they would advertise charities on their ppv's instead of movies about streetfighting. They would donate more than 7,500 which is probably 1/10000 or less of their total profits from most medium ppv's. It's called PR and it's as false as the boogeyman.

did you forget fight for the troops? they made alot of money for a hospital that treats traumatic brain injuries for our troops. and the ufc didnt donate the money dana White did. thats like you giving a bum a quarter and him thanking McDonalds.

bjj1605
3/3/10 12:07:33AM

Posted by Pookie

Yeah, like, when i was in middle school there was this pretty girl with rich parents who'd give her money every day for lunch.

One day she walked by me as i was eating my poor peoples free lunch and she offered me her Chocolate milk. So i punched her in the face for not giving me her pizza too.

This is exactly the argument people are using on here. Because he didn't pay for everything it means that what he did give was useless?

Did that girl think you we're only thirsty? You're hungry too! What good is milk with out pizza? You should've poured the milk over her head after you punched her.

Edit: tried to give props but I gotta spread love. Anyone reading this should give props to pookie in my place.
Jackelope
3/3/10 12:53:50AM

Posted by bjj1605

Edit: tried to give props but I gotta spread love. Anyone reading this should give props to pookie in my place.

I will do that sir! (If I can)
Pages: [1] 2