Dana White: Tank Abbott UFC Hall of Fame future inductee

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White: Tank Abbott UFC Hall of Fame future inductee
Next Page »
juanez13
2/20/08 5:19:23PM

“I think the whole thing was a farce [the EliteXC promotion]. I love Tank. I have nothing but respect for him; he’s always been good to me. But I don’t want to see that again…. Tank Abbott absolutely will be in our Hall of Fame.”

UFC President Dana White comments on the recent spectacle that was Kimbo Slice vs. Tank Abbott at the EliteXC: “Street Certified” show on February 16 from the BankUnited Center in Miami, Fla. He also reveals that he has a seat waiting for Abbott once he decides to hang up the gloves. That would mean Abbott would be enshrined alongside Octagon pioneers such as Royce Gracie, Randy Couture, Dan Severn, Ken Shamrock and soon-to-be inductee, Mark Coleman.

LINK
roger
2/20/08 5:27:15PM
not sure about how i feel about that
loonytnt
2/20/08 5:30:55PM
ive said tank needs to be in th HOF for a long time, im happy to hear that, he may not have been the best fighter but he helped start this sport
waylon_o
2/20/08 5:33:06PM
I agree...everyone knows he's not one of the greats, but he did more than his share for putting this sport on the map. Lots of non-MMA fans know who Tank Abbott is. I agree with this 100%.
snakeman88
2/20/08 5:33:10PM
I have no problem with it.. The hall of fame stuff doesn't mean much to me though
MALICE
2/20/08 5:33:56PM
He sure did. I remember when I was just a young buck cheering for Tank. Congrats Tank.
wolfman
2/20/08 5:36:40PM

Posted by roger

not sure about how i feel about that

Why? I am guessing because you're a TUF'er and the only Tank fight you have seen is when he fought that guy named....Kimbo. j/k Seriously though, Tank is a legend in his own right. I know he is clearly past his prime right now, but that guy always brought it in the UFC and the fans loved him. I mean he is a piece of UFC history. The UFC hall of fame without Tank is like peanut butter w/o jelly or Bert w/o Ernie or Frodo w/o Sam....Okay, enough with the cheesy metaphors. You should get the point now.
gartface
2/20/08 5:48:27PM
100% agree. Who do you guys think is next after him? I'd like to see Jens in there.
wolfman
2/20/08 5:49:59PM

Posted by gartface

100% agree. Who do you guys think is next after him? I'd like to see Jens in there.

: Yeah, nice call man.
ncordless
2/20/08 5:51:48PM
Tank will never be considered one of the best fighters, but he is a pioneer of the sport and should be inducted based on what he meant to early UFC.

Now how about Steve Jennum? To my knowledge he is still the only fighter to put Ninjitsu as his fighting style.

Until then, alot of people really did think that Ninjas pwned all.
juanez13
2/20/08 5:54:49PM

Posted by gartface

note that tank will be inducted after he decides to hang up the gloves, so the soonest we will see jens in the HOF is when he decides to retire, dont know how long that will be, but it dont look like it will be soon..
silverbullet
2/20/08 6:04:18PM
A link would be nice?
juanez13
2/20/08 6:08:46PM

Posted by silverbullet

A link would be nice?

fixed.
disorderlyvision
2/20/08 6:09:28PM

Posted by gartface

if were sticking to older fighters like tank and coleman, i would like to see maurice smith, don frye, maybe even kerr. they all did well in the early ufc's
ncordless
2/20/08 6:15:07PM

Posted by disorderlyvision

Posted by gartface

if were sticking to older fighters like tank and coleman, i would like to see maurice smith, don frye, maybe even kerr. they all did well in the early ufc's

I agree, although I believe that Oleg Taktarov should be in next.
hotrodttt
2/20/08 6:28:22PM
Here's a list of Fighters who should be in the UFC Hall of Fame

- Don Frye
- Mark Coleman
- Vitor Belfort
- Pat Miletich
- Mark Kerr
whardin19
2/20/08 6:41:55PM
I have to say even though I have a general dislike for Tank Abbott. He does deserve to be in the UFC Hall of Fame. This guy no matter how good or bad he was helped get this sport off the ground and was a key figure in the beginning of the UFC.
silverbullet
2/20/08 7:08:29PM
I think it's ridiculous. Dude's a brawler but he's no pro athlete.
jiujitsufreak74
2/20/08 7:12:06PM
horrible, horrible call. this is the worst decision the UFC has ever made. tank is not an athlete at all. he doesn't train hard at all. he has a losing record for christ's sake. he exhibited no ground game, no technical skill and imo is a disgrace to the sport. how can a man who is 5-8 in the UFC and 9-14 in total be inducted into any HoF? this is a disgrace to the sport of MMA, how can Dana White do such a thing. there are so many more fighters who are more deserving than the man who claims that martial arts don't work. this makes me sick, the man never defeated a truly skilled opponent, never beat any top quality opponents, and fights for beer money rather than pride and competitiveness. you know who deserves to get in? Pedro Rizzo. tank abbot is a joke, he should never grace any HoF because he just doesn't deserve it. i don't know how all of you think he deserves to get in, he has no credentials for doing so imo.

i strongly think that pedro rizzo should get in although i don't think that will happen. he was one of the first dominant fighters after the rule changes and always put on great fights. He is 9-5 against the best the UFC had to offer including a KO over barnett (convincing KO), a win over AA, a win over current ufc HoF dan severn (unloaded bombs ending it in the first round), not to mention wins over tank, coleman, rodriguez (who was highly regarded at the time and has beaten couture) and telligman. all of his wins were against top competition, and so were his losses. the man still is showing his expertise in fighting by just KOing monson this september. even his loss to couture (first fight) was a close decision (i had him winning) and 3 of his 5 losses were by decision.if you look at what the man accomplished and who he had accomplished it against you can make a strong case for him to get into the ufc HoF. I mean, randy has 5 losses in the ufc as well, two of which were against opponents rizzo has defeated in barnett and rodriguez.
wrona666
2/20/08 7:31:28PM
100% think Tank should be in the HOF......without watching Tank when i was a youngster i dont know if i would be as big a fan of the sport as i am today....
ThaAxeMurderer7
2/20/08 7:42:58PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

horrible, horrible call. this is the worst decision the UFC has ever made. tank is not an athlete at all. he doesn't train hard at all. he has a losing record for christ's sake. he exhibited no ground game, no technical skill and imo is a disgrace to the sport. how can a man who is 5-8 in the UFC and 9-14 in total be inducted into any HoF? this is a disgrace to the sport of MMA, how can Dana White do such a thing. there are so many more fighters who are more deserving than the man who claims that martial arts don't work. this makes me sick, the man never defeated a truly skilled opponent, never beat any top quality opponents, and fights for beer money rather than pride and competitiveness. you know who deserves to get in? Pedro Rizzo. tank abbot is a joke, he should never grace any HoF because he just doesn't deserve it. i don't know how all of you think he deserves to get in, he has no credentials for doing so imo.

i strongly think that pedro rizzo should get in although i don't think that will happen. he was one of the first dominant fighters after the rule changes and always put on great fights. He is 9-5 against the best the UFC had to offer including a KO over barnett (convincing KO), a win over AA, a win over current ufc HoF dan severn (unloaded bombs ending it in the first round), not to mention wins over tank, coleman, rodriguez (who was highly regarded at the time and has beaten couture) and telligman. all of his wins were against top competition, and so were his losses. the man still is showing his expertise in fighting by just KOing monson this september. even his loss to couture (first fight) was a close decision (i had him winning) and 3 of his 5 losses were by decision.if you look at what the man accomplished and who he had accomplished it against you can make a strong case for him to get into the ufc HoF. I mean, randy has 5 losses in the ufc as well, two of which were against opponents rizzo has defeated in barnett and rodriguez.

Thats so weird, I was thinking the exact same thing when I stumbled upon this!
gartface
2/20/08 7:45:06PM

Posted by hotrodttt

Here's a list of Fighters who should be in the UFC Hall of Fame

- Don Frye
- Mark Coleman
- Vitor Belfort
- Pat Miletich
- Mark Kerr

Isn't Pat Miletich the only retired fighter you listed?
Jackelope
2/20/08 7:58:07PM
I don't have a problem with this, either.

There's no arguing whether or not Tank was a skilled martial artist type. Everyone knows he wasn't. He DID bring it, though. He does have some of the most memorable UFC KO's, and he was a legend in his own right. I'm not really sure where the problem lies with having Tank as a UFC legend. In most people's minds he already is.
krthll1
2/20/08 8:06:22PM

I totally agree with everything you've said. Think about it people, You have to be good at what you do to make a hall of fame of any sort. As you can see the NFL and MLB don't just let in any popular player into the HOF. You have to have a good resume to go with it. 9-14 is not a good resume for MMA. All that being said if he does get inducted congratulations Tank. You have made MMA fans out of people who didn't know of the sport before.
tuvok500
2/20/08 8:20:40PM

Man, relax , if he get the HOF status it is only because he was there when the sport was in the darkness and he contribute to the UFC.
I think they will give a lot of HOF status to those guys who were not that good and who have not a stellar record to show to the peoples that not only top fighters have contribute to the UFC but a lot of brawlers who were there to fight no matter when , how, why and against who.

Manfred
2/21/08 12:09:08AM
I could care less either way about Tank to be honest. I'm fine with it.

But Frye deserves it next after Coleman. UFC 8 and UU96 Tourney champ and finalist in another (9 or 10, i think) Plus he was one of the first true MIXED martial artists. But he's publicly put down the UFC and Dana in the past so he might not get in.
nix7777
2/21/08 12:50:33AM
yeah tank did for the sport what kimbo is doing for elite right now i just got off of another site that was totally bashing him for having a losing record but hell lets face it the man put asses in the seats
Kpro
2/21/08 1:00:34AM
HOF's in any sport are not worth wasting brain power on IMO.
LayinFrame
2/21/08 4:00:15AM

dude, do you even think about what you say before you post? Disgrace to the sport? Tank is a joke? He shouldnt grace any HoF, he doesnt deserve it? No Credentials?!!?! I was watching dave fight, while you were still in diapers, He has every right to be in the HoF. So what if he has a losing record, that doesnt mean anything. The detroit lions have a losing record, didnt stop barry sanders from getting inducted. gosh i just dont have enough energy in me to reply to all of your last post /sigh
jiujitsufreak74
2/21/08 4:08:22AM

Posted by LayinFrame

dude, do you even think about what you say before you post? Disgrace to the sport? Tank is a joke? He shouldnt grace any HoF, he doesnt deserve it? No Credentials?!!?! I was watching dave fight, while you were still in diapers, He has every right to be in the HoF. So what if he has a losing record, that doesnt mean anything. The detroit lions have a losing record, didnt stop barry sanders from getting inducted. gosh i just dont have enough energy in me to reply to all of your last post /sigh

is that a serious question? are you asking me if i think before I post? i like to think i am well respected on this site and i put full thought into all my posts. to say a losing record doesn't mean anything is ridiculous imo. the point of the sport is to win, and if you don't win more times then you lose then you don't deserve a claim to the HoF imo. Tank Abbot is a joke, imo. he is nothing more then a spectacle that has absolutely 0 technique. he is a disgrace to the other athletes of the sport that put the time and dedication it takes to compete on a high level. you compare a football player to a MMA fighter and that is not a fair correlation imo. a football player is not singlehandedly responsible for his teams record. a football player gets inducted because of stats, or influence on the game. a MMA fighter should get inducted based on success, statistics and popularity. Tank only has 1 of those three qualities. your argument holds absolutely 0 bearing in my eyes and it is you who should consider thought before posting. you cannot even hold a candle to my MMA knowledge so please do not attack me, it is quite pathetic really. i just don't see how a MMA fighter who believes that martial arts are not effective, fights for beer money and is not successful gets into the HoF.
Pages: [1] 2