Dana White suggests Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey vs. 'Cyborg' Santos is close

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White suggests Strikeforce champ Ronda Rousey vs. 'Cyborg' Santos is close
prophecy033
10/6/12 5:53:49PM
What could be the most marketable fight in women's MMA history appears to be moving closer to reality.

Strikeforce women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey has risen quickly during her recent title reign, yet a much-anticipated fight with currently suspended ex-featherweight champ Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos has seemingly been stalled by public bickering over a proposed weight class.

UFC President Dana White, though, suggested progress is being made.

Link
sparky
10/6/12 6:03:08PM
WAR RONDA

prophecy033
10/6/12 6:06:50PM
That pic looks familiar
JLS1980
10/6/12 6:08:09PM
As of right now Ronda Rousey is a -165 favorite on the future fight odds at Bookmaker.
I want to see this fight for sure.
prophecy033
10/6/12 6:10:58PM
To be Honest, I think this could end badly for Ronda. Cyborg is well versed in sub defense and just a beast. I don't know how much the "supplements" had to do with it but Ronda may get smashed if she can't pull off the armbar....just being honest
sparky
10/6/12 6:13:45PM

Posted by prophecy033

To be Honest, I think this could end badly for Ronda. Cyborg is well versed in sub defense and just a beast. I don't know how much the "supplements" had to do with it but Ronda may get smashed if she can't pull off the armbar....just being honest

She will get the armbar at about 1:27 seconds of the first round
ghandikush
10/6/12 6:17:47PM
Cyborg will win at 145
kopower
10/6/12 6:59:02PM
Saw Ronda in person the other day at the UFC weigh ins. She was lookin good

I would assume its only a matter of time before they fight in the UFC. I could see a one fight contract for that fight, as it would pull huge numbers.
samelia
10/6/12 7:11:01PM

Quote of the Day: Ronda Rousey Thinks Cyborg Fight Could Be “Biggest MMA Fight of All Time”

Well let's hope it will be although I'm getting the feeling that Rousey is being a little stubborn about putting the approx 10 pounds on cause she isn't quite ready to fight Cyborg (for whatever reason). They should both be working extra hard to gain/loose the weight so that the fight can go on as soon as possible.
airkerma
10/6/12 8:26:45PM
I think I would go with borg, but the weight class may dictate the winner. That would be quite a cut for borg to make
JLS1980
10/6/12 8:49:14PM

Posted by samelia

Quote of the Day: Ronda Rousey Thinks Cyborg Fight Could Be “Biggest MMA Fight of All Time”

Wow that's a bold statement. I can see "Biggest Women's MMA Fight of All Time" not the “Biggest MMA Fight of All Time"
samelia
10/6/12 10:28:03PM

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by samelia

Wow that's a bold statement. I can see "Biggest Women's MMA Fight of All Time" not the “Biggest MMA Fight of All Time"

Yup, completely agree with you. No female fight could be "bigger" than any fight the men put on. Females just don't have the strength that the males do to put on a good enough fight/show. I also read somewhere briefly that this fight would make woman's MMA just as popular and the men's division - I don't agree with this either - no matter how good the women get, their just not as entertaining in my opinion

http://www.cagepotato.com/quote-of-the-day-ronda-rousey-thinks-cyborg-fight-could-be-biggest-mma-fight-of-all-time/

Chael_Sonnen
10/6/12 10:57:31PM

Posted by kopower

Saw Ronda in person the other day at the UFC weigh ins. She was lookin good

I would assume its only a matter of time before they fight in the UFC. I could see a one fight contract for that fight, as it would pull huge numbers.

She looks great with her hair pulled back.....but when it's down, she looks like a hungry Lion looking for an arm to snack on (I prefer it pulled back)........Hey, JJ likes Lions (especially, the no heart part)
ghandikush
10/6/12 11:38:32PM

Posted by samelia

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by samelia

Yup, completely agree with you. No female fight could be "bigger" than any fight the men put on. Females just don't have the strength that the males do to put on a good enough fight/show. I also read somewhere briefly that this fight would make woman's MMA just as popular and the men's division - I don't agree with this either - no matter how good the women get, their just not as entertaining in my opinion

http://www.cagepotato.com/quote-of-the-day-ronda-rousey-thinks-cyborg-fight-could-be-biggest-mma-fight-of-all-time/

The really good women fighters are just as entertaining imo because they are more able to open up on eachother. Thats not to say they are better, but definitely entertaining imo and moreso than the 135 125ers
tcunningham
10/7/12 12:06:54AM

Posted by sparky

Posted by prophecy033

She will get the armbar at about 1:27 seconds of the first round

i think im gonna have to disagree. im not saying she cant get the armlock, i just dont see it happening as quickly as that. cyborg IMO is a whole different animal than the other fighters ronda has fought. if it stays on the feet, ronda gets KTFO. on the ground, ronda takes home another arm.
Manak
10/7/12 1:16:43AM
to be honest this fight not happening i think is best for wmma right now. they really have no landscape to build off of, yea this could be a nice trilogy of fights between the 2 but outside that it is nothing. they need other fighters to develop otherwise once this fight happens all interest in wmma is pretty much over. this time talking about this fight is good for wmma to grow and get more contenders then hopefully the fight happens. wmma just lacks to much depth right now
pmoney
10/7/12 4:41:46AM
I think Rousey could get the W. Gina Carano had Cyborg on her back and was landing great ground and pound in their fight. Of course, Rousey doesn't have the stand up of Carano though, or even close to Cyborg.

I don't want to see this fight in the UFC though. Strikeforce, yes. Like manak said, WMMA needs to grow more. Invicta FC is doing a great job of that right now, but it will take a couple more years before WMMA takes off in my opinion.

I used to want women's divisions in the UFC, but Invicta is doing so well I would almost prefer if they became the UFC of WMMA.
jae_1833
10/7/12 4:51:59AM
I actually agree man! All I can think is that this is the right fight, but just not the right time.....what would the UFC back it up with? A one time WMMA fight is just going to confuse casual fans and make the following fights in WMMA (not in the UFC) seem not as good. I want the fight to happen in Invicta before seeing it done wrongly in the UFC. Now if Divy could build it with a sexy little tourney like the did the FLW Div then I would be extremely excited. Just think of this, they start building a Rousey vs Cyborg hype train while they introduce a new fighter class! Have the tourney going on while introducing the Champoins.....then the night the tourney finales it could be the same that Rousey vs Cyborg happens, the stare down between Champ and Challenger after the interviews....could be gold!
george112
10/7/12 10:46:44AM
I'm not reading into what Dana says so much anymore.

He also said Stephens would be fighting.

As its to early in the morning and I'm watching Sunday NFL Countdown, ill pass on naming other bullshit things Dana has said regarding people fighting each other
941_Florida_Boy
10/7/12 1:18:04PM
Ronda has everything to lose and nothing really to gain as I see it...

If Cyborg wins - it basically kills womens MMA (again)

If Ronda wins - people will still be interested in watching Ronda (#1 because it's easier on the eyes than watching Cyborg whom looks like a man imo) (#2 people will want her to fight Gina Carano which would be awesome)

I just feel like nobody wants to watch Cyborg beat up little girls anymore - she should really be fighting men at this point

Good luck to Ronda though if it does happen - she'll be fighting to keep Women's MMA alive
samelia
10/7/12 4:07:08PM

The really good women fighters are just as entertaining imo because they are more able to open up on eachother.

More able to open up? Like more able to talk about their feelings?
Sorry that was too good to resist
BuffaloDave
10/8/12 1:29:09PM
Just let Cyborg/Rousey fight on the last SF card, close the promotion, bring the talent worth while over to the UFC, let the women go to Invicta, UFC buys into Invicta to help them promote and stuff.

Win, win, for all, besides SF folding, but they don't even have a deep enough talent pool anymore to replace fights, or legit title contenders, divisions are just way to thin.
Gogoplatapus
10/8/12 2:03:12PM
In a perfect world Strikeforce and mainstream WMMA could be killed with one stone.
ghandikush
10/8/12 3:10:20PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

In a perfect world Strikeforce and mainstream WMMA could be killed with one stone.

Why? We should want more promotions at a high level to compete.
Gogoplatapus
10/8/12 7:10:39PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Gogoplatapus

ya just not Strikeforce when it's owned by the elephant. Makes no sense.

ghandikush
10/8/12 11:50:48PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Gogoplatapus

ya just not Strikeforce when it's owned by the elephant. Makes no sense.

Yeah got you definitely just overtake formalities. Everyone knows they were just waiting for the monopoly think to blow over in the news.
Cooler
10/9/12 4:34:24AM
Rousey vs Cyborg headlines a UFC PPV in Vegas
Cooler
10/9/12 9:15:48PM

Posted by Gogoplatapus

Right, get those women back in the kitchen...