Dana White "A. Silva Is 2 Fights Away From LHW title shot"

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Dana White "A. Silva Is 2 Fights Away From LHW title shot"
4u2nv
10/24/08 9:47:09AM

http://mma.fanhouse.com/2008/10/23/dana ... r-th/#cont

UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva will defend his title against Patrick Cote on Saturday at UFC 90, but UFC President Dana White says Silva could be fighting soon with another belt on the line.

White said today that Silva would like to alternate between fighting at middleweight (185 pounds) and light heavyweight (205 pounds) and that he could be a contender for the light heavyweight belt while continuing to defend his middleweight belt.

"He wants to keep the 185-pound belt and keep going back and forth," White said. "Should he win, he's probably two fights away from fighting for the light heavyweight title, too."

Right now, the light heavyweight belt belongs to Forrest Griffin, who will defend it against Rashad Evans at UFC 92. On the undercard that night will be a huge light heavyweight clash between Wanderlei Silva and Rampage Jackson. I expect the winners of Griffin-Evans and Wanderlei-Rampage to fight each other, and I also think the Lyoto Machida-Thiago Silva winner will be very worthy of a title shot. So it's a crowded field at light heavyweight.

Well, it happens that Anderson Silva is the #1 P4P fighter in the world, has cleaned the MW division and destroyed several top 10 figthers.

On the other hand, Machida hasn't beaten anybody. His best win was Soki, but he's not a top 10 LHW anymore, and an out of class BJ and a very green Franklin. He doesn't finish fights and is boring. Let Machida beat at least one top LHW contender.

Oh, and BJ Penn is going for the WW title with a 1-2 record as WW and hasn't fought in several years at WW.
jocka
10/24/08 10:06:35AM
Wow the year 2009 is gona sweet for mma, Penn vs GSP, maybee GSP vs Silva, maybee Silva for the LHW Title, only thing missing is Silva vs Fedor at LHW for the Pound for Pound 1 spot. I though that cause of MAchida The spider did not want to fight at 205 man i hope he does fight again at 205 i can't get enought of Silva
Ordep
10/24/08 10:41:51AM
Based on the Anderson'e statements I could only think of two situations about this... 1) It's total BS or 2) He's being manipulated...

Yesterday when I saw the countdown and Dana said "He WANTED or he asked, to move to 205 and test the water there...." I was like because Anderson has stated before that it was a FAVOR for Dana b/c he was asked too in order to have a decent main event for the last minute Affliction counter-show. Plus, Anderson also said that he doesn't want to move to LHW because of training partner and friend Machida.
Gipper
10/24/08 10:56:24AM

Posted by jocka

only thing missing is Silva vs Fedor at LHW for the Pound for Pound 1 spot.

let's be honest here....fedor would eat anderson alive
bullettdodger
10/24/08 11:13:29AM

Posted by Gipper

Posted by jocka

Thats your opinion and you are more than welcome to it
Twenty20Dollars
10/24/08 11:15:30AM
silva isnt going to fight at LHW unless dana trys to pull another fast one on him.

But is dana saying Silva could get a shot after 2 more LHW fights or just two fights in general like at 185.
Branwest
10/24/08 3:07:38PM
Fedor isn't going to cut to 205, so its moot. Unless they fight at whatever weights they're comfortable at. And I do believe that Fedor would beat Anderson. Fedor hasn't been knocked out. He's taken CroCop's head kicks, he's taken a nasty suplex from Randleman, and has taken some serious shots from others. Big Nog wasn't able to submit him. Tim was embarassed by Fedor. I just think Silva is too small for Fedor.
Silva will first fight Cote. If he wins, and GSP beats BJ, then Silva will fight GSP, probably at UFC 100. Silva only has 5 fights left on his contract after Cote. He's planning to retire sometime next year after the contract is up. Therefore, Dana and Joe Silva wil plan those fight VERY carefully to try and get the most out of them. He'll probably defend the MW title only a couple more times, maybe three times, after Cote. He'll fight GSP (though I guess that WILL be for the title since it's @ 185), and then he'll probably have a couple fights at 205. If he loses his first fight back at 205, then the rest will probably be at 185, but if he wins, they'll give him a title shot at 205.
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 3:20:12PM

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Gipper

Posted by jocka

gotta spread the love
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
10/24/08 3:40:41PM

Posted by 4u2nv
On the other hand, Machida hasn't beaten anybody. His best win was Soki, but he's not a top 10 LHW anymore, and an out of class BJ and a very green Franklin. He doesn't finish fights and is boring. Let Machida beat at least one top LHW contender.

Oh, and BJ Penn is going for the WW title with a 1-2 record as WW and hasn't fought in several years at WW.

Its your opinion that hes boring . Anyone who actually trains, knows what kind of skill it takes to cut angles like machida while making people look like amateurs. Just ask stephen bonnar who was finished in one round and said it was like fighting a ghost ( I thought lyoto doesnt finish fights?). Soko was top 10 at the time (also finished him) . Lyoto made tito look like an amateur (Tito has win over the current lhw champ and drawed the number one contender ). How was it a green franklin? HE was 12-0 and had finished all of his opponents(10 finished in the first round) . Machida had 2 fights under his belt and knocked rich out in 6 minutes.
jocka
10/24/08 3:53:02PM

Posted by CantAndleDaRiddum

Posted by bullettdodger

Posted by Gipper

Posted by jocka

gotta spread the love

I did not say who would win just stated that it would be an awsome fight :)
mentalcase
10/24/08 3:57:31PM
If fedor and anderson fight, fedor should not be expected to cut to 205, anderson is 220-230 and fedor weighs 230 they should just fight open weight its only fair
MFOTHER
10/24/08 4:28:25PM

Posted by Ordep

Based on the Anderson'e statements I could only think of two situations about this... 1) It's total BS or 2) He's being manipulated...

Yesterday when I saw the countdown and Dana said "He WANTED or he asked, to move to 205 and test the water there...." I was like because Anderson has stated before that it was a FAVOR for Dana b/c he was asked too in order to have a decent main event for the last minute Affliction counter-show. Plus, Anderson also said that he doesn't want to move to LHW because of training partner and friend Machida.

so my take on that is..... at some point in 2008 silva/white discussed what his options were, and anderson asked whether he could move to 205, because of lack of competition/ or to test himself etc.

Then when the affliction card came up, dana asked him to make that jump suddenly, and without as much time as he would have wanted.
Anderson agreed, as a favor to dana.

and on fighting machida, i never read anything on him saying he wanted to stay out of the division, just that he wasnt as interested in the belt, and that he wouldnt fight lyoto no matter what.

higdon10
10/24/08 5:12:40PM
Fedor and Silva will never fight..
CantAndleDaRiddum
10/24/08 5:14:07PM

Posted by higdon10

Fedor and Silva will never fight..

don't be so bold

cmill21
10/24/08 7:31:17PM
I love Anderson, and after watching his all access he's definetly my favorite UFC fighter by far. I do think he could take the LHW belt but I think there is a chance a guy like Rampage could grind him out on the ground if he got him there or a guy like Shogun could match him in skill and well roundedness, theres just more depth and talent at 205, and there is only one guy at 185 who even has a chance against Anderson and that is Hendo, and he can only do it via a grinding ground attack and he can't trade on the feet(not a good chance he'd follow that plan lol). 185 is an easy div for Anderson, you have guys who are better then him at stand up(manhoef) but complete novice's on the ground and guys who are better then him on the ground(Almeida) but would be destroyed on the feet, so theres no one in the same league as him in his complete game at 185 IMO.
Faze
11/7/08 12:39:19PM
Fedor doesn't have the chin to "eat silva alive".
cmill21
11/7/08 12:49:37PM

Posted by Faze

Why would you say that? He's been rocked once in his entire career, he's fought Semmy Schilt, Cro Cop, HMC, Mark Hunt and Tim Sylvia, all of which hit harder then Anderson I'm sure. JLB described ONE of Choi's punches as feeling like 5 of Peter Aerts, Fedor didn't even flinch when taking Choi's shots.
WrestlersAssassin
11/8/08 1:46:05AM
Before I heard he wanted to retire soon I saw him holding two belts at once easily. But at least BJ will make history soon.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/8/08 6:02:22AM
If Anderson does end up having two belts.... that will make him the second person in history to do that in the UFC.

BJ will be the 1st!!!!!!
bls1919
11/8/08 9:18:24PM
In Silva's next fight at 205 i see him fighting Jardine, Machida or Wandy. One of the three. Most likely Jardine, after his UD win over Vera. Silva will pick Jardine's "awkward' style of stand up apart. Then on to Wandy(who i think will beat Page). Silva finally finds the "sleep" button on Wandy's iron chin. then onto Sugar Rashad. Give me a break. If this fight actually happens, Rashad is in for a rude awakening, to his first loss. First multi weight class champ in the modern UFC era. This is all a "pipe" dream of mine. But it could happen?? WAR A. SILVA
AxeMurderer97
11/8/08 11:53:01PM
I don't know where everyone gets this idea that Anderson has the most amazing KO power in his hands. He's got power, yes. But it's far from as powerful as people make it out to be.

Everyone said he'd put Cote to sleep, he couldnt even do that with a huge knee.
higdon10
11/9/08 12:40:09AM

Posted by AxeMurderer97

I don't know where everyone gets this idea that Anderson has the most amazing KO power in his hands. He's got power, yes. But it's far from as powerful as people make it out to be.

That was a reflection of Cote's chin.
haggiswashere
11/9/08 6:12:59AM

Posted by higdon10

Posted by AxeMurderer97

That was a reflection of Cote's chin.

for real. plus he tko'd leben and he has a way better chin than cote imo
StorminYourman
11/9/08 3:02:44PM

Posted by Faze

Umm when has Fedor ever been KOd

Come on now

EvenFlow
11/9/08 7:04:28PM

Posted by WrestlersAssassin

Before I heard he wanted to retire soon I saw him holding two belts at once easily. But at least BJ will make history soon.

Yeah BJ will be the first to do it, but Im putting GSP on my parlay
bls1919
11/9/08 7:58:45PM

Posted by AxeMurderer97

Silva has good power but not one punch KO power. But its his pinpoint accuracy and relentless attack that does his opponents in. He never really ko'd Franklin in their first meeting....but Franklin was toasted. Absolutely crushed.