Dana White Says No Rematch for Ben Henderson If He Loses

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Says No Rematch for Ben Henderson If He Loses
Card
8/8/12 12:18:28PM
Because the lightweight title belt has been involved in a rematch three times in a row, Dana White has said enough is enough. So even if the champion Henderson loses a razor-close, controversial decision, the division and belt will move on, and he'll have to work his way back up.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/8/8/3227772/dana-white-says-no-rematch-for-ben-henderson-if-he-loses-but-champ
BuffaloDave
8/8/12 12:31:45PM
No worries Bendo will finish it this time around

Kinda BS that Dana would state that, makes him look biased towards Edgar. If Bendo does lose a razor close decision, and Dana stands by his word, Bendo better get the Faber treatment, and be one win away from another title shot.
Twenty20Dollars
8/8/12 12:34:36PM
Then what is Diaz going to do if Edgar wins and he doesn't fight him or atleast that's what I thought Diaz said awhile back?

I just want to see Ben/Pettis 2.
JoeWarren33
8/8/12 1:34:14PM
But if Frankie losses.......? Dana is a joker, he can give Edgar rematches but now he is saying no to Ben, who has yet to get a rematch due to a loss yet. Alot of favortism in the Ufc from Rogan, Dana and others.
prophecy033
8/8/12 1:35:14PM
Should say no "immediate" rematch because if its 1-1 you know at SOME time they'll fight again to settle it
Manak
8/8/12 1:58:13PM
I almost hope its a draw so dana is eating his own words. but i dont want the division held up anymore just sucks that henderson could get Fed. final point henderson holds his own faith... just win and its not a problem.
airkerma
8/8/12 2:00:17PM

Posted by prophecy033

Should say no "immediate" rematch because if its 1-1 you know at SOME time they'll fight again to settle it

Nope. Never. You heard the man. He sticks to his word.
Sucks for Bendo if he loses, but really we need to keep this log jam of a division moving.
Bythar
8/8/12 2:05:58PM
Not a good thing to say. Suggests one set of rules for Edgar and another for the rest of the division, even if it is legitimately to stop so many rematches in the division.
calitrees
8/8/12 2:17:11PM
This is a stupid thing to say. Bendo isnt Gray Maynard or Penn so its not his fault the UFC made a habit of putting on rematches in the lightweight division. What if the judges make a Nick Ring decision what are we gonna do then Dana?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/12 2:38:14PM
I dont get why people are upset. I really don't think this had anything to do with Benson. I think it has everything to do with the fact that we have seen constant rematches for the title at this weight. My god, B.J. got his immediate rematch, then we had a draw, then another fight. Now we have another rematch.

The last time a LW title fight occurred that didn't feature Frankie or B.J. was July 7th, 2007.

The last time someone didn't get a rematch for the title at LW was December 12th, 2009.

Dana just said the name of the current champion. He didn't say Ben Henderson for any other reason than he was the champ. Normally, if the champ loses a razor close, controversial decision, they get a rematch. It's pretty much a guaranteed thing. Since Ben is the champ, he's saying that he'd better win. If he loses, he's going to the back of the bus.

Dana shouldn't have to specify Frankie doesn't get one either. This would be two consecutive losses to the same guy. That part should be common sense, right?

So, what's everyone upset about?
Poor_Franklin
8/8/12 2:45:06PM
i dont want a rematch at all, but it's funny that edgar gets the immediate rematch opportunity but benson will not.
Twenty20Dollars
8/8/12 2:47:30PM
Dana will say Edgar should move to Featherweight a couple more thousand times.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/8/12 2:55:33PM
Dude, Edgar had to beat B.J. twice and fight Gray twice. He defended the belt on 3 different occasions. A draw would be a defense.

If Benson loses, he won't even have defended his title. Yeah, it makes total sense that he shouldn't get a rematch with all the rematches that division has had lately. It sucks for Bendo, but it had to stop at some point. You simply cannot give every guy an immediate rematch if he loses the belt. This isn't the WWE. There's no invoking your "rematch clause."

This isn't the Greek tragedy people are making it out to be.
Poor_Franklin
8/8/12 3:06:25PM
it's only crappy bc Frankie didnt deserve this rematch, yet he got it. Im very ready to move on as Bendo as the LW champ & after this weekend, we will be able to finally do that.
hymiekooken
8/8/12 3:44:49PM
I think Benson will finish Edgar. Either way, I am just ready for Nate Diaz to get his shot.
MALICE
8/8/12 4:43:17PM
Penn and Edgar had a close first match. Penn gets an instant rematch. No big deal. Edgar Maynard fight to a draw. Nobody wants to end with a draw so Maynard gets an instant rematch. At that point Edgar had given two instant rematches even though he did not need to. Edgar then loses, what many consider to be a controversial decision, to Henderson. I think it was only fair to give Edgar his instant rematch. But we do not need to see the Edgar/Henderson trilogy finished directly after this fight if Henderson were to lose this fight.
infestructure
8/8/12 6:14:46PM
Bendo won't lose, so its a moot point
JLS1980
8/9/12 11:52:46AM
I'm not trying to defend Frankie Edgar but he didn't get an immediate rematch with BJ Penn. Penn lost and got a rematch. Then Edgar and Maynard fought to a draw and had to run it back. So this will be Frankie's 1st rematch to try and get the belt. And yes I agree that there has been somewhat of a log jam in the LW division. But if anyone deserves the rematch Frankie does. Some people think the Bendo/Edgar fight was controversial. I personally think Bendo won the first match and most of the damage was from the up kick that Bendo hit him with. Other than that it was a fairly close match.

So no matter Saturday's outcome there won't be another rematch and Nate Diaz will face the winner. Supposedly in December.
bjj1605
8/9/12 4:40:17PM
This totally makes sense. No reason to cry and moan.

If Bendo does lose (which he won't) then Edgar ought to defend the title against someone new. The division has been tied up with rematches for too long.

And if Bendo really is the best in the world, he'll fight his way back to the title in no time.
Cooler
8/9/12 5:37:37PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Dude, Edgar had to beat B.J. twice and fight Gray twice. He defended the belt on 3 different occasions. A draw would be a defense.

If Benson loses, he won't even have defended his title. Yeah, it makes total sense that he shouldn't get a rematch with all the rematches that division has had lately. It sucks for Bendo, but it had to stop at some point. You simply cannot give every guy an immediate rematch if he loses the belt. This isn't the WWE. There's no invoking your "rematch clause."

This isn't the Greek tragedy people are making it out to be.

They didn't have to give Gray a 3rd fight after the draw, Frankie was already champ they could've just moved on from there. A draw doesn't mean a 3rd fight needs to happen right away, only a controversial decision like Penn vs Frankie 1 because to a lot of people he didn't decisively beat Penn the first time. They could've moved on from the draw and Frankie vs Gray 3 would've never happened anyway since Bendo would've likely won like he did anyway.

And on top of that, Frankie didn't deserve this rematch with Bendo anyway. He got beat fair and square and what happens to him if he loses again... He's in the same position as Penn, lost twice to the champ... The Rich Franklin position. If and when Frankie loses he's gotta move down to FW to ever get a title shot in the near future in that scenario.