Dana White Says Rashad Evans Likely to Face Winner of Rua-Jones

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Says Rashad Evans Likely to Face Winner of Rua-Jones
SmileR
3/19/11 3:04:34PM
It appears as though Rashad Evans will get a second chance to fight for the UFC light-heavyweight championship after all. Weeks after a knee injury forced his withdrawal from a title bout with Mauricio "Shogun Rua -- paving the way for teammate Jon Jones to compete for the belt -- Evans is likely to be offered the next chance to fight for the title, UFC president Dana White said on Thursday's night's edition of ESPN's MMA Live.

White stopped short of guaranteeing the title shot, saying that the man who emerged as champion would have to come out unscathed for him to be quickly matched up with Evans.

"If the guys are ready to roll again with no injuries, Rashad is definitely next in line," White said.

The statement reiterated one that White made earlier in the week to MMA Fighting. In an interview with Ariel Helwani, White confirmed Evans was still the No. 1 contender, saying, "If I was Rashad, I would say, 'Whoever wins this fight, I want to fight [him].'"

Link
TeamDEY
3/19/11 4:49:11PM
it will be interesting to see what happens if Couture beats Machida
Aether
3/19/11 5:03:42PM

Posted by TeamDEY

it will be interesting to see what happens if Couture beats Machida

I doubt that's happening. I also doubt Rashad will agree to fight Jones if he wins.
sbulldavid
3/19/11 5:14:10PM
I think Rashad will take the fight no matter who wins, I think this will be Jones last fight with Jackson if he wins.
Aether
3/19/11 5:28:02PM

Posted by sbulldavid

I think Rashad will take the fight no matter who wins, I think this will be Jones last fight with Jackson if he wins.

Ok I understand the first half of that sentence but the second half baffles me. Why would Jones leave one of the best camps in the world immediately after he wins the title? Because one of them would have to train somewhere else if they fought?

I don't think Jones will leave Jackson's camp anytime soon regardless of what happens, but I guess we'll see. I see Rashad possibly moving to a new weight class, I could be wrong but he has seemed pretty adamant about never fighting Jones.
SmileR
3/19/11 5:31:36PM

Posted by Aether

Posted by sbulldavid

Ok I understand the first half of that sentence but the second half baffles me. Why would Jones leave one of the best camps in the world immediately after he wins the title? Because one of them would have to train somewhere else if they fought?

I don't think Jones will leave Jackson's camp anytime soon regardless of what happens, but I guess we'll see. I see Rashad possibly moving to a new weight class, I could be wrong but he has seemed pretty adamant about never fighting Jones.

Rashad came out quite recently and said if Jones wins he wants Jackson to choose who he will coach for Rashads title shot.
I think its a bit of a messed up situation down there right now.
TS92turbo
3/19/11 6:11:57PM
Winner of Rampage and Hamill should fight the winner of Machida and Couture.

The Winner of those two fights fight each other, and the winner of that fights Rashad.

I see it coming as a Machida Rampage 2 and a Rampage Rashad 2.