Dana White says UFC planning event in Russia 'sooner than you'd think'

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White says UFC planning event in Russia 'sooner than you'd think'
BuffaloDave
7/9/12 1:41:32PM
The UFC may be going to Russia, and according to president Dana White, it could be soon.

Following Saturday's UFC 148 event in Las Vegas, White said the promotion is targeting a trip to Russia, though he did not elaborate on a timeframe for the potential new market.

White joked about how he personally would be received in Russia, given his contentious history with the management team of the nation's most popular MMA product, Fedor Emelianenko. White, of course, attempted to sign the legendary Russian to the UFC several years ago but was unsuccessful.

"I don't know how well I'd do in Russia," White said. "But yeah – we're actually taking an event to Russia very soon. Very soon. Sooner than you'd think."

Link
BuffaloDave
7/9/12 1:47:18PM
Not trying to here, but If Fedor isn't in the plans for this event, then why bother. If you want to win the Russians over get this man on the card, on a 1 fight deal. Be a perfect opportunity to have Fedor vs. Werdum 2.

I know Fedor said he's done, but with the UFC in his own country, I'm sure that would be enough to coax him out. I'd do a 500k flat fight pay, plus a very nice ppv cut.
jlock003
7/9/12 1:50:54PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Not trying to here, but If Fedor isn't in the plans for this event, then why bother. If you want to win the Russians over get this man on the card, on a 1 fight deal. Be a perfect opportunity to have Fedor vs. Werdum 2.

I know Fedor said he's done, but with the UFC in his own country, I'm sure that would be enough to coax him out. I'd do a 500k flat fight pay, plus a very nice ppv cut.

I know a lot of people are going to read this from me and be shocked, but I think that's a completely reasonable pitch. I do have a question though. Is Fedor's contract with M-1 up? I can't see those guys going for anything outside of co-promotion especially in Russia, but it would be awesome to see Fedor fight just about anybody in the top 10. I've wanted to see it happen since 07, but M-1 has just been a giant CB.
BuffaloDave
7/9/12 2:00:57PM

Posted by jlock003

I know a lot of people are going to read this from me and be shocked, but I think that's a completely reasonable pitch. I do have a question though. Is Fedor's contract with M-1 up? I can't see those guys going for anything outside of co-promotion especially in Russia, but it would be awesome to see Fedor fight just about anybody in the top 10. I've wanted to see it happen since 07, but M-1 has just been a giant CB.

He probably has a life long contract with them lol.

But yeah, M-1 needs to STFU and sit on the sidelines at least one time for Fedor. They'll still get their cut from Fedor's pay either way.

Or just maybe the UFC can STFU and agree to a cross promotion show. Either way someone has to give in, for this thing to work.
jlock003
7/9/12 2:04:00PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by jlock003

He probably has a life long contract with them lol.

But yeah, M-1 needs to STFU and sit on the sidelines at least one time for Fedor. They'll still get their cut from Fedor's pay either way.

Or just maybe the UFC can STFU and agree to a cross promotion show. Either way someone has to give in, for this thing to work.

LOL I agree entirely. I can see why the UFC refused to cross promote back in the day in places like Vegas, and CA but M-1 could be advantageous to them in Russia so maybe we'll see it happen. I feel odd saying that because I'm usually a big advocate for ZUFFA and the way they promote the sport but Russia is a different market than they've dealt in previously.
Poor_Franklin
7/9/12 3:34:42PM
ive always been against the copromotion idea, but this is one time i wouldnt mind it, depending on the stipulations of the contract w/ Fedor & M1, of course. Whatever money the UFC paid to get Fedor fighting on their card in Russia could all be itemized as Marketing dollars & i think it would be a win/win for everyone involved.

but i wouldnt make the contract longer than a one fight deal