Dana White Says Lyoto Machida Is Fighting Dan Henderson Next

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Says Lyoto Machida Is Fighting Dan Henderson Next
Next Page »
FastKnockout
9/14/12 5:37:05PM
It appears that two men who thought they had title shots in their back pocket could be facing each other next. At a UFC luncheon, Dana White was discussing Lyoto Machida, who earned a title shot at UFC on Fox 4 but turned down a short-notice fight with champion Jon Jones at UFC 152. He made it quite clear that because he turned down the shot, he's going to have to take another fight next. And the man across the octagon from him is going to be Dan Henderson (via MMA Fighting):

"[Machida] should have taken the fight. We've seen it, history always repeats itself. Look how long it took Rashad (Evans) to fight for the title again. So you wanted to fight Jon Jones, you climbed up to the title fight and you don't take it. Now you're fighting (expletive) Dan Henderson. Now you might not even get to the (expletive) title again. You lose to Dan Henderson you're not anywhere near Jon Jones," White said.

LINK
Cooler
9/14/12 5:40:19PM
Dan blew his chance, now he gets finished by Machida instead.
Budgellism
9/14/12 6:40:19PM

Posted by Cooler

Unfortunately this is true. He might not get finished but Machida's style is terrible for Hendo.
meier
9/14/12 6:59:12PM
He says that but whether that comes true or not remains to be seen.
ghandikush
9/14/12 7:03:20PM
I give it a 1/3 chance that Dan knocks my favorite fighter out. You are all on crack to think Machida will finish Dan......

Dan will have to be a gassed motherfucker a la little Nog fight..... otherwise Machidas quick dashing could equal unconsciousness.
Chael_Sonnen
9/14/12 7:11:38PM

Posted by ghandikush

I give it a 1/3 chance that Dan knocks my favorite fighter out. You are all on crack to think Machida will finish Dan......

Dan will have to be a gassed motherfucker a la little Nog fight..... otherwise Machidas quick dashing could equal unconsciousness.

The MaCHEETAH that fought Rampage & Shogun will get the PISS knocked out of him....well, to think of it, any version of Chester-Macheetah will lose to Dan the MAN

Bad matchup for lyOTA
Dberntson
9/14/12 7:16:10PM
I hope this is just BS from Dana covering all options and that Hendo still gets Jones. Hendo said he would be ready in December which makes for a great NEw Years Eve fight with the winner of Jones/Belfort, OK, Jones. Unless JJ is taking a lot of time off or gets hurt this makes no sense. The fight automatically eliminates one of the few top contenders in the division. That said, if they did fight I wouldn't count Hendo out.
tcunningham
9/14/12 7:18:10PM
would love to see dan put machida away. this is a hard one to call though
warglory
9/14/12 8:34:52PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by ghandikush

The MaCHEETAH that fought Rampage, Shogun & Vera will get the PISS knocked out of him....well, to think of it, any version of Chester-Macheetah will lose to Dan the MAN

Bad matchup for lyOTA

Wait. When did Machida fight Vera?
Bubbles
9/14/12 9:13:42PM
No. Just no. This doesn't really interest me as stylistically its 1-sided.
george112
9/14/12 9:26:19PM
If Dan doesn't take a page out of Coutures book then I too think lyoto will just counter all night.

Dan needs to clinch and use some dirty boxing. If he'd just use his wrestling
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/14/12 9:37:49PM

Posted by warglory

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by ghandikush

The MaCHEETAH that fought Rampage, Shogun & Vera will get the PISS knocked out of him....well, to think of it, any version of Chester-Macheetah will lose to Dan the MAN

Bad matchup for lyOTA

Wait. When did Machida fight Vera?

He didn't. He either meant to say Jones instead of Vera or mistakenly lumped Vera in there. Jones is destroying anyone right now. The Shogun that put Machida away was probably the best looking Shogun we've seen in the UFC and I may have to watch the fight again, but I though Machida actually won the fight against Rampage. I know it was close. Machida over Hendo UD.
JLS1980
9/14/12 9:50:11PM
There was a poll up last week. I want to say Poor_Franklin started it. It looked like it was pretty one sided that mostly everyone said Machida.

Well now we will get to see. I think The Dragon pulls it off.
aussiemma
9/14/12 10:13:14PM
haha dana '' now your fighting fucking dan henderson''.

There was a poll on this a few days ago about who would win and i think machida destroyed hendo 18-2 votes. It really does have machida ud written all over it, machida looked as slick as ever with his ko of bader, but hendo just needs to land once.
aussiemma
9/14/12 10:14:00PM

Posted by JLS1980

There was a poll up last week. I want to say Poor_Franklin started it. It looked like it was pretty one sided that mostly everyone said Machida.

soz saw this after i wrote my post.
State_Champ
9/14/12 10:16:56PM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Cooler

Unfortunately this is true. He might not get finished but Machida's style is terrible for Hendo.

Yeah, this isn't going to be pretty for Hendo.
On the other hand, I imagine Lyoto's performance will be very pretty.
bjj1605
9/15/12 2:33:53AM
Should be a UD for Machida.

At the same time though, Hendo has that big power and could end it at any time.

Good fight.
Poor_Franklin
9/15/12 6:07:56AM

Posted by JLS1980

POLL here's the link. voting is 23-2 for Machida as of right now.
JLS1980
9/15/12 8:41:41AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by JLS1980

You conjured this match up. That's awesome.
airkerma
9/15/12 9:40:36AM

Posted by JLS1980

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by JLS1980

You conjured this match up. That's awesome.

At least we know we have a UFC insider. I hope the injury bug doesn't strike too much more, all of these switches and temper tantrums are starting to make the UFC and Dana look bad.
warglory
9/15/12 9:43:15AM
I think this has the potential to be Machida's crowning moment in MMA. If he puts on a stellar performance, he'll go down as one of the greats. WAR MACHIDA!
prophecy033
9/15/12 11:21:08AM
I like seeing everyone fight eachother. It gives me an idea of where everyone stood once it was all said and done. That's why I wanna see Hendo fight Machida and hopefully at a later date Jones as well.

I hope Hendo pulls it out but I can see Machida keeping the distance, picking his shots while Dan chases him around the ring, right hand wound up, ready to throw. A few exchanges here and there until Dan gets tired. Once that happens Machida will open up more and possibly secure a takedown. Since Dam is a dish outta water on his back it will probably play out there for some time.

I gotta go with Machida UD
ghandikush
9/15/12 12:41:18PM

Posted by warglory

I think this has the potential to be Machida's crowning moment in MMA. If he puts on a stellar performance, he'll go down as one of the greats. WAR MACHIDA!

Machida DESTROYED a prime undefeated Rashad, gave Jones a tough fight, beat an in shape Rampage.... Maybe not crowning, but he will go down as one of the greatest fighters to not have consecutively defended the crown.
prozacnation1978
9/15/12 4:13:56PM
Only show I see is 155 Vegas.
With the loss of a card. I really wouldn't mind a extra ppv somewhere in Nov or Dec for free like the old days

Put cerrone vs Pettis
Add kos on the card
As well as well as Diego sanchez vs jim miller
BuffaloDave
9/15/12 5:56:47PM
Like we all know, Hendo always has that punchers chance. Machida's style dampers his chances greatly though. Hendo probably has one of if not the strongest chins in MMA, so if he wants to unload the H-Bomb he is going to have to eat a few Machida shots to get close enough to deliver one.
lohmann
9/15/12 6:31:54PM
This fight will be a rough couple rounds for Henderson, but if he can make the fight go late Machida might slow down enough for Dan to land some nasty shots on Machida's average chin.

I like whenever two top light heavyweights mix it up. There are very few new options at the top of the heap and this is potentially one of the most exciting matchups.
Cooler
9/15/12 11:10:09PM

Posted by ghandikush

I was more referring to Machida getting a sub but Henderson's almost been finished by strikes in his last 3 fights, it's bound to happen in pretty much everyones career. Look at Mark Hunt and Cabbage, it doesn't last forever, somebody will at least TKO Dan and it would've probably been Jones by ground and pound.
BuffaloDave
9/15/12 11:57:52PM

Posted by ghandikush

You sure you're not the one hitting the pipe?? When did Hendo fight Lil' Nog??
ThaAxeMurderer7
9/16/12 1:27:29AM

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by ghandikush

In PRIDE back in 2005. Lil Nog subbed him with an armbar.
ghandikush
9/16/12 2:44:57PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

Posted by BuffaloDave

Posted by ghandikush

In PRIDE back in 2005. Lil Nog subbed him with an armbar.

after dan was fatigued.... which is what I was getting at.....
Pages: [1] 2