Dana White Says Chael Sonnen's Career Could Be Done

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White Says Chael Sonnen's Career Could Be Done
BlueSkiesBurn
10/1/10 8:06:17PM
On a recent episode of MMA Connected Dana White said that Chael Sonnen's career could be finished.

Video

Take it for what it's worth, it doesn't sound like Dana is moving for immediate action, but he's pretty pissed.
seanfu
10/1/10 9:39:37PM
Hehe, but he talks so good like.
FastKnockout
10/1/10 9:48:32PM
I wonder how much is just ranting. Dana isn't the kind of guy you always want to believe.
Chael_Sonnen
10/1/10 9:50:12PM
He'll be back after the suspension.
MisterFreeze
10/1/10 9:57:10PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Do you guys believe Chael should be allowed back?

What are all of your feelings on steroid usage? Should athletes who fail PED tests be allowed to compete again? Or should they be permanently banned from the sport?
machodog76
10/1/10 10:12:47PM
I don't think they should be banned for life, the fines and suspensions are already back breakers for alot of fighters. They just need to test for PEDs on a random basis year round not just for fights.
Wand_is_GOD
10/1/10 10:26:13PM
He will be back
tallica62
10/1/10 10:45:33PM
i bet everything i own dana is just sayin this **** to create more interest and talk about him...guarantee he'll be back in the ufc
bjj1605
10/1/10 11:01:27PM
Another "so and so will never fight for the UFC again" comment. He rarely backs up these grand statements.

PS: I'm aware he didn't come right out and say that this time.
tepid55
10/1/10 11:16:25PM
I don't think Sonnen's MMA career is over, but I do think his UFC career is over.
seanfu
10/2/10 12:25:27AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

What are all of your feelings on steroid usage? Should athletes who fail PED tests be allowed to compete again? Or should they be permanently banned from the sport?

Should not lifetime ban someone for making a mistake. I think it's ironic how the mouth was one of the biggest frauds we"ve seen though with his statements and not only losing to Anderson, but then testing positive fr roids.
kevietre
10/2/10 12:26:09AM
We'll see what happens are Chael's hearing
marcoDGK
10/2/10 2:59:20AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Imo- roids are not playing fair. Its like landing knees to the head and not being called on it. It may or may not be the reason you win but it def gives you the edge.

I don't think they should be banned from the sport though.
Jackelope
10/2/10 3:11:58AM
If you're going to ban a guy for life for testing positive for roids you might as well start just randomly banning everyone. Most are using. If you haven't realized that yet then I envy your naivete.
DJBlankenship
10/2/10 11:30:33AM

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Imo- roids are not playing fair. Its like landing knees to the head and not being called on it. It may or may not be the reason you win but it def gives you the edge.

I don't think they should be banned from the sport though.

no he should not be banned. For God's sake, people kill people and still get out of jail.
SpiderSilva
10/2/10 12:37:44PM
who knows but one thing i do know is most of the guys who have got caught taking PEDs have a major drop in Ws so let's see what happens with charlie in this coming.year
tarantula
10/2/10 1:03:11PM
then he can go to the WWE or TNA he not all that anyways...
mrsmiley
10/2/10 2:53:01PM

Posted by Jackelope

If you're going to ban a guy for life for testing positive for roids you might as well start just randomly banning everyone. Most are using. If you haven't realized that yet then I envy your naivete.

This.
tallica62
10/2/10 3:57:44PM

Posted by tarantula

then he can go to the WWE or TNA he not all that anyways...

i think you underestimate him...although im not a big fan, you have to give him credit for what he was able to do to Anderson, and not get killed by him

and your knowledge of steroids seems to be wrong...yes you can get freakishly large like WWE wrestlers, but most professional athletes take them to heal faster...its almost like a necessary evil to be able to continue fighting at the pace they do and as often

at the end of the day, 99% of the time technique and skill will win over brute strength... aka BJJ :)
marcoDGK
10/2/10 7:50:11PM

Posted by Jackelope

I have realized that we are suppose to assume no one is on roids. So, when someone gets busted we all come down on him like he is the only one using performance enhancers. Use and don't get busted or don't use at all and keep your job.
bjj1605
10/2/10 8:28:30PM

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by Jackelope

I have realized that we are suppose to assume no one is on roids. So, when someone gets busted we all come down on him like he is the only one using performance enhancers. Use and don't get busted or don't use at all and keep your job.

may be naive but I will say that if they did things like this a lot less people would risk using. props
Jackelope
10/2/10 9:27:34PM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by Jackelope

may be naive but I will say that if they did things like this a lot less people would risk using. props

I honestly wish that was the case, man. I just don't think it is. Look how hard they come down on professional cyclists, and yet they keep on using. Look at baseball players being put in front of congress and practically castrated in the media. They're still using. It's just too tempting for these athletes and its too much a part of the culture. Never going to change until it's legal IMO. Even then they'll find another edge.
GSPCanada
10/2/10 10:54:48PM
I don't like chael but what is the difference between what he did and hermes franca? there are a million other examples, but I say hermes because he was the 1 time #1 contender just like chael and he was allowed back after his suspension and then had a dui shortly after
billfold9
10/3/10 12:22:19AM
i like him, hes Country like me. but his submission defence is as bad as it gets
Aether
10/3/10 2:38:48AM

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Honestly I'm not really sure that steroids should even be illegal to begin with.

As far as should he be allowed back - yes, because the athletic commission issued a suspension, not a ban. I think if that is the punishment he shouldn't have it extended once he has undergone the same punishment that everyone else gets.

I think Dana is honestly just really angry because he finally had someone creating waves in the very stagnant MW division and it pretty much all got erased overnight. The rematch was a big cash cow that slipped through Dana's fingers and he's just ranting IMO. I see no chance that Sonnen isn't back fighting in the UFC when his suspension is up.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/3/10 5:22:34AM

Posted by Aether

Honestly I'm not really sure that steroids should even be illegal to begin with.

As far as should he be allowed back - yes, because the athletic commission issued a suspension, not a ban. I think if that is the punishment he shouldn't have it extended once he has undergone the same punishment that everyone else gets.

I think Dana is honestly just really angry because he finally had someone creating waves in the very stagnant MW division and it pretty much all got erased overnight. The rematch was a big cash cow that slipped through Dana's fingers and he's just ranting IMO. I see no chance that Sonnen isn't back fighting in the UFC when his suspension is up.

It should be illegal. Now stick with me on this; it should be illegal because of the health risks.

That being said, I'm not worried about the health risks, per se. Just the simple fact that those who do not WANT to risk their health might be placed behind the eight ball because they're not willing to risk THEIR bodies.

Natural talent should be rewarded. If you want to cheat, fine, do so in a manner that doesn't require everyone else who wants to keep up with you to potentially risk severe harm to their body.

I'm fine with sign stealing, the "patriots spy-gate," colleges buying athletes with agents and bribes and such, as none of these have a risk of causing physical damage to people that do the same.

Steroids do.
seanfu
10/3/10 4:30:45PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Aether

It should be illegal. Now stick with me on this; it should be illegal because of the health risks.

That being said, I'm not worried about the health risks, per se. Just the simple fact that those who do not WANT to risk their health might be placed behind the eight ball because they're not willing to risk THEIR bodies.

Natural talent should be rewarded. If you want to cheat, fine, do so in a manner that doesn't require everyone else who wants to keep up with you to potentially risk severe harm to their body.

I'm fine with sign stealing, the "patriots spy-gate," colleges buying athletes with agents and bribes and such, as none of these have a risk of causing physical damage to people that do the same.

Steroids do.

This reply is absolutely brilliant. True.

Roids probably should be allowed imo since they will always be used en mass and really aren't dangerous to most when used properly and not excessively aside from some organ deterioration.

But there is a solid 5 to 10 percent who cant use roids due to organ damage and immediate bad side effects. And roids should not be required for all because I now I would not participate in MMA if roids were required to succede.
Sir_Karl
10/3/10 8:12:21PM
Everyone rightfully "gets on Chael's case" for the "off the hip" crazy stuff he says...but Dana acts the same way to a lesser degree or in a slightly different way. This is just some more of Dana's "over dramatic psycho babble". Sonnen will be fighting as soon as the suspension is over. I do find the whole situation highly entertaining though!