Dana White says Alistair Overeem lied to him, could decide to cut him after NSAC's suspension ruling

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Dana White says Alistair Overeem lied to him, could decide to cut him after NSAC's suspension ruling
SmileR
4/25/12 3:23:21PM
Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White, who was airborne for most of the day on Tuesday (April 24, 2012) after rearranging the UFC 148 fight card in Brazil, was unable to keep score in the Alistair Overeem vs. Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) hearing.

Until he appeared on The Jim Rome Show later in the day.

That's where the Las Vegas fight boss first learned that "Demolition Man" had been denied a license to fight in "Sin City" for nine months, keeping him out of action until (at least) Dec. 27 of this year.

As you can imagine, it went over like a lead balloon.

"I wasn't very optimistic about his chances. I didn't think things were gonna turn out very well for him, as expected. Nine months? That's not as bad as I thought it was gonna be. I thought he'd get a year, easily a year. Here's the rules: If he was on anti-inflammatory meds and whatever the deal was, you're supposed to disclose that to the commission before you get any drug tests. Whatever medicine you're on, you're supposed to tell them before you test, not after you test. I'm not a fan. I'm not a fan at all. You're not going to hear me defending Alistair Overeem on your radio show. We'll see what happens. He claimed he was on anti-inflammatories which he should have told them before he tested. I know he lied to me. I don't like it. If they'll sit in front of you and lie to your face, I don't know, not the type of guys I wanna do business with."

Link
Wallass
4/25/12 3:37:56PM
Good! It's about time Dana starts to hold these guys accountable. I say drop him Dana, he's not the draw you thought he'd be anyways!
postman
4/25/12 3:38:43PM
And this is the problem with All of the talent being in one pool. Someone gets crabs in their ass and thinks they have to rule the world. Hitler was a dick.
airkerma
4/25/12 3:40:20PM

Posted by Wallass
he's not the draw you thought he'd be anyways!

I'm not sure I would go that far. It could be my own little bubble but I could have sworn people were clamoring for Reem vs. Brock and after that, people were freaking out about Reem vs JDS.
Poor_Franklin
4/25/12 3:42:52PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Wallass

I'm not sure I would go that far. It could be my own little bubble but I could have sworn people were clamoring for Reem vs. Brock and after that, people were freaking out about Reem vs JDS.

im pretty sure i remember folks thinking that reem vs jds was a big deal
KungFuMaster
4/25/12 3:57:25PM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Wallass

Yeah, I'm still bummed out it's not happening - or at least anytime soon.

sparky
4/25/12 4:13:45PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Poor_Franklin

Posted by airkerma

Posted by Wallass

Yeah, I'm still bummed out it's not happening - or at least anytime soon.

SAME
tallica62
4/25/12 4:32:31PM
This just bothers me more and more that he beat Brock, and essentially, ended his career
prophecy033
4/25/12 4:36:11PM
I think we can all agree that pissing Dana off is a bad idea. Not that I agree but he will make your fighting life hell
airkerma
4/25/12 4:56:12PM

Posted by prophecy033

I think we can all agree that pudding Dana off is a bad idea. Not that I agree but he will make your fighting life hell

only if it's bread pudding
pmoney
4/25/12 5:03:42PM
I'm over-reem, myself. (see what I did there? I was gonna say "Alistair in love and war" but anyhow)

This guy skipped town for his initial test to get his license for the Lesnar fight. That's what put him in this random test situation to begin with. Then Keith Kizer says that AO tried skipping out on the surprise tests at the UFC 146 press conference? I don't want to jump to conclusions, but this fool is guiltier than Casey Anthony. I don't care if the UFC cuts him. Actually, I'd prefer it.

MMAcca
4/25/12 5:15:33PM
Overoids
prophecy033
4/25/12 5:59:48PM

Posted by airkerma

Posted by prophecy033

I think we can all agree that pudding Dana off is a bad idea. Not that I agree but he will make your fighting life hell

only if it's bread pudding

fucking auto correct
prozacnation1978
4/25/12 6:15:28PM
The Brock vs reem fight should be a no contest fight

But why wait 9 months to cut him when Dana could do it today
prophecy033
4/25/12 6:18:20PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

But why wait 9 months to cut him when Dana could do it today

actually, it was no contest
hashyandy4
4/25/12 7:20:27PM
I really hope he doesnt get cut
Manak
4/25/12 7:49:58PM
I guess he should have tried to give them animal piss that way dana would not only not cut him but still give the main fight on a card... I understand cutting him but what about thiago silva, chris leben, chael sonnen, & sean sherk... have one standard instead of picking and choosing which guys go then i would be ok with it
jay98107
4/25/12 8:12:27PM

Posted by postman

And this is the problem with All of the talent being in one pool. Someone gets crabs in their ass and thinks they have to rule the world. Hitler was a dick.

Are you saying that Dana White is acting like Hitler by wanting to cut Overeem for testing positive? Furthermore, Overeem supposedly told Dana upon signing that steroids wouldn't be a problem. Considering firing somebody from their job for lying, cheating, and not being able to show up for a title fight does not seem particularly Hitleresque to me.
jay98107
4/25/12 8:16:24PM

Posted by Manak

I guess he should have tried to give them animal piss that way dana would not only not cut him but still give the main fight on a card... I understand cutting him but what about thiago silva, chris leben, chael sonnen, & sean sherk... have one standard instead of picking and choosing which guys go then i would be ok with it

I think the fact that steroids were such a huge question with Overeem, more than with any other free agent signing that the UFC has ever made IMO, makes a huge difference. Dana seems particularly irritated by the fact that he asked Overeem beforehand and was lied to. That and Overeem is blowing a massive main event for Dana, all the guys you mentioned tested positive after the fight, which shouldn't make a difference morally but it certainly affects the bottom line differently.
mrsmiley
4/25/12 8:17:17PM
Not sure really what to think at this point. I think to a point he's just hating on Reem. he has his reasons,sure but a cut just seems too harsh for me.
When so many others have tested positive you want to cut the guy that just demolished your HW draw?
Why can't the UFC seriously give attention to all the fighters who test positive and try to deal with the situation in the long term?
I'm not sure if their is an answer to the problem. So long as guys are competitive their going to look for an advantage I guess.

To me it just seems in vain for Dana to blow all this hot air over the situation meanwhile the problem just continues.(granted we do want to hear his opinion)
Personally I don't care whether they use roids are not. It's not a popular opinion I know but I guess this is my two cents.
Sir_Karl
4/25/12 8:54:19PM
Good....I hope Dana sends him packing. Overeem is a drama queen and a cheater. He is completely overrated too. I don't think Overeem would have done anything positive for the UFC. Let Bellator have him.
postman
4/25/12 10:23:47PM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by postman

Are you saying that Dana White is acting like Hitler by wanting to cut Overeem for testing positive? Furthermore, Overeem supposedly told Dana upon signing that steroids wouldn't be a problem. Considering firing somebody from their job for lying, cheating, and not being able to show up for a title fight does not seem particularly Hitleresque to me.

I'm suggesting that Dana wants to have complete control over MMA. The commision said they saw no evidance that Overeem was cheating but they simply at that time would not be able to grant the license.
Adrenaline
4/25/12 10:38:59PM

Why? Overeems post fight test came back clean. You can speculate all you wan't but thats not reasonable grounds to change the outcome of a fight in the record books.
postman
4/26/12 9:24:25AM

Posted by Adrenaline

Why? Overeems post fight test came back clean. You can speculate all you wan't but thats not reasonable grounds to change the outcome of a fight in the record books.

I was going to say the same but I have never seen him respond to a post so I let it go.
BuffaloDave
4/26/12 10:14:17AM

Posted by postman

Posted by Adrenaline

I was going to say the same but I have never seen him respond to a post so I let it go.

I think he uses the " I post from my Phone" excuse so he can't respond as much, someone is just afraid of debate
papercut
4/26/12 2:12:28PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Good....I hope Dana sends him packing. Overeem is a drama queen and a cheater. He is completely overrated too. I don't think Overeem would have done anything positive for the UFC. Let Bellator have him.

really? he wouldn't of done anything positive for the UFC? because who wants an intelligent, well-spoken, dominant champ with an international following... sounds like a butt hurt lesnar fan to me. but then again I'm in the minority that says he should serve his suspension and come back like thiago silva, leben, sherk, and most of the other positive testers.
UFC_Fanatic
4/26/12 4:41:06PM

Posted by papercut

Posted by Sir_Karl

really? he wouldn't of done anything positive for the UFC? because who wants an intelligent, well-spoken, dominant champ with an international following... sounds like a butt hurt lesnar fan to me. but then again I'm in the minority that says he should serve his suspension and come back like thiago silva, leben, sherk, and most of the other positive testers.

I'm in the same boat as you. As I recall, Overeem definitely raised a possible red flag with the high testosterone, but we should also not forget that he never actually tested positive for a banned substance, only high testosterone. Let him serve out the suspension come back, and then if there is another offense, that's when you go to extreme measures and release him.